Boca or DeMerit or Marshall? You make the call

Captain Header!

Captain Header!

DeMerit, undaunted

DeMerit... undaunted

UPDATE: DeMerit is a runaway leader at 60% approval rating as of noon 07/21

Our poll for the August 12th powder keg at the Azteca in Mexico is up!

Jay DeMerit had a phenomenal South African tourney; ably chasing down errant defenders.

Captain Carlos will be back in full action, but will he be needed on the wing?

Newcomer Chad Marshall is in contention with an iron Gold Cup showing.

Who would you pair with AC Milan’s newest back four signee ? Vote on the right and comment right here!

Check back in for preview and game commentary as well.

1. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/07/20 at 8:05 PM

I think you need to see what you have with either DeMerit or Marshall.

DeMerit is more complementary to Gooch’s play and can certainly keep up with the speed and positioning of some of the better strikers — the Fabiano strike was an exception (and a great goal).

Boca is already tested and is certainly prone to some mental positioning and one-on-one mistakes — lets see what he can do on the corner.

2. Posted by Michael on 2009/07/20 at 8:07 PM

I didn’t see Bobby Boswell as an option. It’s time to give him more recognition!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/07/20 at 8:18 PM

I’ll add him to the poll, but he’s not going to have a shot at the August 12th game. Why do you think Bradley’s only given him 1 cap (in 2006)?

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/07/21 at 9:50 AM

Ya I agree Boswell should get more recognition to be on the national team. rarely do you ever see mistakes from him and personally I would prefer him over marshall. marshalls pretty overrated. I think Boca does best on the wing where there’s not as much confusion about marking. that leaves demerit on the list but for a center defensive role i would love to see bob let bobby have a go at the national team.

3. I lean toward DeMerit. He played well overall during Confederation Cup and deserves the opportunity. I am a Crew fan and really like Marshall, but he is still inexperienced at high level international competition – especially in Mexico City. … Bocanegra can play at left back since the team is a little weak there and that is the position Boca plays for his club team. That solidifies the entire defense.

4. Posted by IMGAFC on 2009/07/20 at 8:23 PM

What about Parkhurst?!

• Posted by cosmosredux on 2009/07/20 at 8:31 PM

Ok, added to the poll as well, but coming off a very shaky Gold Cup — I’m not sure he’s got a shot. Why do you think he’s a good selection?

5. No question Demerit, but only so that Boca can play LB.

I think after Demerit would be Chad Marshall. Parkhurst? Boswell?? Are you guys joking?

6. Posted by Mark T on 2009/07/20 at 8:38 PM

Demerit with Boca on the left. I could try and rephrase what Michael said above or just say “ditto.”

7. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/07/20 at 8:47 PM

On a separate note, I’m a little concerned about Boca’s wing strength heading into next year. By all rights, he’s probably the starter on the corner more by default in my book.

Though he has the experience, he’s prone to miscues and sometimes looks very average in one-on-one situations. I worry about the speedier wings. At present there is no other selection there for the U.S. unless you try and move the opposite of Hedjuk, Cherundolo or Spector over. If I’m Ricardo Clark or Kyle Beckerman, I might be considering taking a shot over there.

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/07/21 at 9:55 AM

Ricardo wouldn’t do any good at left back because he likes to roam around the center and have the freedom as to where left back has to stay on the left wing most the whole time and help attack.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/07/21 at 10:02 AM

That’s of course true — but if I’m a d midfielder right now and I want to play nationally don’t I want to extend my game a bit?

8. Jay, Jay from the USA! I thought he took better care of the ball than Gooch in the Con Fed cup. Boca on the outside, where he’s been playing for his club.

9. Posted by sfinke1 on 2009/07/20 at 9:18 PM

Demerit in the middle with Gooch…and have Spector and Boca on the outsides….that is the strongest d line we have

10. Posted by Chris on 2009/07/21 at 7:01 AM

the name wasnt an option but it should be CONRAD!

11. We all know it will be Boca

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/07/21 at 9:45 AM

I’m not so sure it *will be Boca. For my part, I’d like to see Jay DeMerit there — arguably he even plays at a higher league level than Boca (DeMerit is sure to progress past Watford this year–who was up just 2 years ago in the EPL by the way).

You have to ask yourself if the U.S. is served better with a back 4 of Spector, Gooch, DeMerit, Boca or Spector, Gooch, Boca, Pearce. I’m encouraged to lean toward the former at this point as I think Bob Bradley will be.

12. Posted by Eric on 2009/07/21 at 9:43 AM

chad marshall? really?

the only competition here is between Boca and Demerit and I think that was cleared up in the Confed Cup with Demerit in the middle and Boca out wide. i also think we should get frankie hejduk back there instead of spector.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/07/21 at 10:00 AM

Hey Eric — Thanks for the comment — we’ll put that poll up next — Hedjuk, Spector, Dolo, anyone else?