Exciting: Altidore Adds to Score Sheet

"My time to shine"

"My time to shine"

Update on our Alitdore piece.

60th min  – JZA entered the game for Caleb Folan.

61st min – Altidore to Kamel Ghilas on a 180 volley for the game winner. Talk about getting the crowd behind you.

Wow!

Altidore stat sheet:

30 mins, 1 assist, 2 shots on goal, another pass for a shot on goal.

Better than even money says JZA makes the starting XI next time out.

______________________

Sunday Morning Update (from Mark):

I just had the opportunity to fire up the DVR for the debut. Jozy got a standing O and even a 15-second chant of U-S-A! U-S-A! when he stepped on the pitch.

Click to watch JZA’s role in the game winner.

He was in the game for all of 28 seconds before he got his first touch that produced Hull’s first goal. A great run 10 minutes later led to Jozy’s best scoring chance, a chip over the on-rushing keeper from 13 yards out that was described perfectly by the announcer as “agonizingly wide.” Jozy’s second scoring chance was the result of a good positioning. Unfortunately, his spinning effort was denied due to some good work by the Bolton keeper.

It would be hard to call Jozy’s debut anything but a very good one. Outside of the goal, he helped to change the pace and run of play. At times he tried to do too much on his own, but as a 19-year-old playing his first game in the EPL in front of his home crowd that’s not surprising. It should be a fun year watching Jozy at Hull (and I am guessing that Hull picks up a lot of American support along the way).

Want to get yourself a shiny bright orange AMBER Hull Altidore jersey to represent? [Thanks for the correction, Booth ferry.]

Just click right here and add “Altidore” (or JZA) and his #9

Here are some highlights. [The original highlight package was taken down from YouTube so below is just the first goal]

1. Posted by Kevin on 2009/08/23 at 10:05 AM

I knew he would end up doing good. but at 1:17 he probably should have passed it.

2. the only thing i was hoping was, that he did not do anything stupid….or look like a lost child in a huge crowd..like eddie johnson did…for Fulham. when he came off the bench..i listend to the Hull City fans.. they all must have had a look at the kid.. the cheers..and the USA..USA..USA.. chants cracked me up…in a very good way.

he did very well..and i know he will do even better…for THE TIGERS. THE ONLY bad move was that dribble atempt..where the ball went one way and jozy the other way..lol…it happens. i do give him major props for even going at the defender ..we all like to see more of that.

COYW:-) & DC-UNITED

3. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/08/23 at 9:11 PM

The more I think about this debut and the physical tools and gifts that JZA has the more I’m realizing what a momentous day for US soccer today was.

To have the chants of US during an EPL game and to have a player of American descent come in and impact a game, I’m not sure we’ve ever seen that before or at least in my lifetime. I am probably dead wrong here by the way.

I would say it’s one of maybe four momentous events without giving forth to hyperbole that I can remember in terms of the media coverage.

Chronologically:

1990 – John Harkes goal of the year for Sheffield United. I was in high school at the time and everyone thought John Harkes at that time was the second coming of Ruud Gullit or something. I remember my parents buying me a Gullit Netherlands jersey — gosh I wish I still had that.

2003 – Tim Howard’s Shield victory on penalties over Arsenal. I didn’t really comprehend the magnitude of Howard’s role at the time or this might have been more prominent a moment for me.

2007 – Clint Dempsey’s goal for Fulham to avoid relegation–his first in the EPL.

2009 – Altidore’s debut for Hull.

I think Harkes is still the most important in my lifetime.

You know what — let’s see what others think — I’m going to make this a column

4. Posted by Jan on 2009/08/24 at 12:39 AM

Looks like Jozy could be what Hull City are looking for, I hope so, anyway :) He created a goal and almost scored another on his debut. He could start at Wolves on Saturday. Phil Brown tends to play a lone striker away from home, hopefully with Ghilas and Geovanni in support.

Up the Tigers!!

Lifetime Hull City Supporter

“A Tiger is for life….not just for the Premier League”

5. Posted by Rick on 2009/08/24 at 6:38 AM

Great play by Jozy, and because of Hull’s need for attackers, this could spell lots of playing time for him.

6. Posted by Boothferry on 2009/08/25 at 1:56 AM

Great summary – Jozy looked awesome.
    However – the shirt colour is AMBER not orange.

7. Posted by Rod Bryan on 2009/08/25 at 10:23 AM

A very encouraging start to Altidore’s EPL career. He has another opportunity to shine against lower league opposition Southend in a League Cup match today.

Highlights of the Bolton game are available at

Welcome to the Tiger nation..

8. […] Exciting: Altidore Adds to Score Sheet in Debut […]

9. […] 22nd, 2009:  Jozy enters in the 60th minute against Bolton and his first touch, an over-the-head volley, leads to an assist on a Kamil Ghilas goal. (August […]