Cheers: Jozy Makes the Starting XI & Scores!

"Out of my way boys, need to begin the legacy"

"Out of my way boys, need to begin the legacy"

See the comments section for a recap of Jozy’s performance via the Hull City supporter site.

(Update: Hull up 1-0: Tom Cairney left footer from a Nick Barmby assist)

(Update 2: Altidore puts one in just before the interval.—– From the Live Game Commentary: Foul by Matt Heath(Southend) on Jozy Altidore(Hull). Direct free kick taken left-footed by Nick Barmby(Hull) from left channel, passed. Goal by Jozy Altidore(Hull) drilled right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from left channel (30 yards).Hull 2-0 Southend. Assist (pass) by Nick Barmby(Hull) from left channel.)

(Update 3: Ghilas, not Altidore, was subbed out at the 73-min. Well done, Jozy)

(Update 4: Hull City takes it, 3-1 with Altidore going the full 90+)

Boy, how they’ve taken to JZA over in Hull City.

He’s already earned Phil Brown’s trust as Southend will be facing Altidore up top to start their Carling Cup showdown today.

Maybe even more noteworthy, the Hull Tigers faithful are already hard at work coming up with different ways to praise America’s Drogba Jr.

Far be it from TSG to bogart someone else’s post or message board, so I’ll just direct you here where you can sing-a-long with JZA support jingles. One to “You Are My Sunshine” and another one to “The Fresh Prince of Bell Air” theme song.

Altidore’s first (of many) EPL goals:

More TSG Jozy Altidore coverage:

Exciting: Altidore Adds to Score Sheet in DebutThe Set-up Couldn’t Be Sweeter for Jozy

1. Posted by MikeCholey on 2009/08/25 at 11:52 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can find a free stream of the Hull match? I usually use myp2p, but it doesn’t show that game today…

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/08/25 at 11:54 AM

Yeah, I can’t find it yet anywhere. I can’t even get audio from the Hull web site. We’ll keep looking and post here and if you find it as well if you wouldn’t mind doing the same that would be great.

3. Posted by Mark T on 2009/08/25 at 11:58 AM

Nothing I could find. Listening here http://www.justin.tv/colonia101 to periodic updates.

4. Posted by Matthew N on 2009/08/25 at 12:12 PM

I’ll say it once and get it out of my system: both JZA and Drogba Jr. are stupid nicknames and they make me scowl every time I read them. That is all. Best of luck to Jozy.. hoping he can help the Tigers remain in the Premiership.

5. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/08/25 at 12:15 PM

Give us some suggestions then Matthew — JZA is good shorthand, so that’s not going anywhere. The parallels to Drogba are eerie for sure.

Should we put up a vote on the sidebar for the readers?

• Posted by Matthew N on 2009/08/25 at 12:45 PM

Well JZA reminds me of Wu Tang and Drogba Jr. doesn’t really make any sense to me (other than that Jozy is black too). I dunno, I just felt compelled to say one time I would rather see Jozy or Altidore or Jozy Altidore than JZA/Drogba Jr. If you keep using them, no biggie, I just wanted to say it :)

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/08/25 at 12:48 PM

We’re a democracy over here; and we want to get our descriptors right. I thought JZA was good (as you point out) as well because, uh, JZA is a hip hop fan.

We’ll try to use the Drogba Jr. less — I did not think of the race parallels — but if you’ve watched Drogba and his goals especially this year, there size, there ability to hold off (or even scare) defenders into not covering them. You have to admit there style of very much similar, no?

We always appreciate the commentary and criticism — I think that’s what makes TSG such a good read.

6. Posted by Mark T on 2009/08/25 at 12:20 PM

It should be noted that none of the starting eleven for Hull versus Bolton were in the starting line-up tonight versus Southend.

• Posted by Matthew N on 2009/08/25 at 12:43 PM

Early League Cup matches are great for Jozy to get his feet wet in. Maybe if he performs well against these lower division squads, he will make his way onto the first team for Premiership matches.

7. Posted by Mark T on 2009/08/26 at 10:09 AM

The Front Line

Altidore and Fagan lead the line from the off and despite our superiority, they struggled to find any support and didn’t get into the game. Altidore was very quiet until he scored. He lashed in a free-kick from 25 yards into the bottom right hand corner. He wasn’t involved a great deal in the game but when he was involved, he held the ball up well, looked strong and passed well. His first touch wasn’t always as good as it should’ve been. He should’ve won a penalty before the Southend goal when he was barged over in the box. The ref ludicrously pointed to the ball, which the defender came away with after he’d knocked Altidore over and then stepped over him to take the ball. Fagan was anonymous throughout bar a couple of runs onto the wing. Ghilas had a run out for 20 minutes and kept the ball well but didn’t get near the goal.

We did well to run out pretty comfortable winners with a side made up of lots of players like Warner, Doyle, Halmosi, Atkinson and Featherstone who wouldn’t start a league game unless someone’s leg fell off and other like Cooper and Cairney who look like prospects but aren’t really in contention. The object was to get first team football for some on the fringe and players like Fagan and Altidore and winning the game alongside that makes it a successful night. However, Altidore aside, no-one has given Phil Brown anything to consider for Saturday.

8. [...] 25th, 2009, Altidore scores his first goal for Hull City in a 3-1 win over Southend United in the second round of the Football League [...]