USMNT Roster for El Salvador and Trinidad & Tobago

[Update: Apparently, the time lapse release was also meant to confuse people. The total roster announced is 24, not 21 deep. See additions, below.]

In a somewhat dubious move, most likely to drive traffic to their new, shiny website, US Soccer released the roster for the USMNT’s next two matches five players at a time over four hours today. I really can’t conceive of one fan-friendly reason for the time lapse release on ussoccer.com.

Here are the 21 24 that made the roster for the games versus El Salvador (in SLC) and Trinidad & Tobago (in Port of Spain). TSG’s projected starting eleven is asterisked. (We don’t see Bradley going away from Dempsey yet.)

As a reminder Gooch is on the roster and he’ll take his yellow card accumulation suspension versus El Salvador.

GK: Howard*, Guzan

D: Demerit*, Spector*, Bocanegra*, Marshall*, Bornstein, Cherundolo, Goodson, Onyewu (suspended)

M: Feilhaber*, Donovan*, Dempsey*, Bradley*, Holden, Clark, Beckerman, Torres, Rogers

F: Altidore*, Davies*, Ching, Casey, Robbie Findley

I’d like to see what Holden could do in the former role held by Feilhaber — 2nd half midfield sub. Bradley could bring him in in tandem with Torres or Beckerman with Dempsey sliding up top.

Add to: Facebook | Digg | Del.icio.us | Stumbleupon | Reddit | Blinklist | Twitter | Technorati | Furl | Newsvine

1. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/08/27 at 1:55 PM

Mark,

You know — I thought about this and I think it’s a pretty good time to give Chad Marshall a starting nod.

He’s got DeMerit for cover on one side and Boca on the left then.

My whole philosophy is always the least amount of disruption–you know, no robbing from Peter to pay Paul so to speak.

I do think Feilhaber will finally make a start here. Remember, he used to start so it makes sense. In that case, Rico obviously goes to the bench.

Before everyone gets excited about what the Beckerman selection means, it’s probably a simple gesture and one that Bob Bradley should be commended for.

Much like Jay Heaps getting the start in front of his home crowd in Foxboro — you’ll see Beckerman and maybe Robbie Findley for a cameo if we have a large enough lead here against El Salvador in front of his RSL home crowd. C’mon give BB some praise on this one.

More in our preview next week.

2. Posted by Mark T on 2009/08/27 at 2:10 PM

I agree on Beckerman and should have clarified my point above. I don’t believe Beckerman has much of a shot beyond the level of competition the next two games, so I see Bradley trying to get him some run in one of them. Also, I just want to see something different in the mid-field.

It will be interesting to see what Bradley does with Ching / Casey during this two game stretch with the recent success of Altidore and Davies.

3. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/08/27 at 3:08 PM

A few more points to add here:

– How about Rogers on the roster — talk about a no vote of confidence for Torres right now.

– Right now Clarence Goodson is sending a sixer to Jimmy Conrad in KC for his role in Goodson’s place on the roster

– With that addition of Goodson, if I had to wager right now, I think in a year you’re going to see: Dolo-Spector, Demerit, Gooch, Boca going into RSA but I already covered that in my post earlier this week. I mean if Rogers made it, you had to think Hedjuk had a shot for this game now that he’s healthy.

4. Posted by fropa98 on 2009/08/27 at 3:25 PM

The Dynamo National Team three are back again. i still don’t understand why Clark is our beat option in defensive midfield. Too many turnovers even at Robertson in Houston against Seattle last Sunday. Ching and Holden i hope to see in South Africa.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/08/27 at 3:38 PM

Did you check out our Common Sense in Defense piece? We called out Rico’s first touch-or most touches for that matter.

I think the thing about Clark that I like too is that he covers so much ground so quickly and is somewhat hard to fatigue so he really provides excellent cover. I think Bradley is our best option in defensive midfield at this point.

5. Posted by kaya on 2009/08/27 at 4:49 PM

I thought the extended roster release was a hilarious attempt at building anticipation.
    I suppose there are other people paying attention to this besides me, but I don’t know them. It’s not like we’re meeting at the water cooler every hour to talk about this.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/08/27 at 5:04 PM

Completely agreed, not to mention they probably had no success metrics for the staggered rollout and all they did was frustrate a lot of the press, sites, etc. that are trying to help the USMNT gain a fanbase.

Just a question here? But what do you meet at the water cooler for anyways these days?

6. Posted by kaya on 2009/08/27 at 6:32 PM

Idk. To get water?
    I never had much use for the proverbial water cooler… I don’t watch tv besides soccer. But from what I’ve heard from back in my “office days”, they’d talk a lot about what was on tv the night before.
    Thank god for the internetz so I can actually find people who want to “talk” about something I care about =)