According to Boca, Demerit “Out”

Sitting next to Gooch on Saturday?

Sitting next to Gooch on Saturday?

The “Insider” US blog at ESPN.com had the following quote from Captain Carlos in an entry late this afternoon:

With Jay and Gooch out, that’s going to hurt us a little bit, but we have guys who can come in and do the job. We have a deep team now, which is nice, so whoever comes in is going to do the job. That’s why they’re in camp with us.”

Obviously, it’s not official, but it is not looking likely that DeMerit will be in the starting eleven when the US takes on El Salvador at Rio Tinto Stadium this Saturday.

As Matthew suggested in an update to the US – El Salvador preview this morning upon learning of the ailing DeMerit, Chad Marshall probably gets the start in the middle along with Boca. (And we’re hoping Spector and Bornstein flank them to complete the back four.)

While we’d all rather have the starting defense in their, perhaps a depleted central defense will (finally) force the US to play a possession game along with the appropriate line-up changes in the midfield.

1. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/09/04 at 10:48 AM

please God no Chad Marshall. he looked absoultely terrible with the Crew against Cruz Azul the other day. I know its just one game but geez. He flat out allowed to goals, didnt mark well, and capped it off with an own goal. It must’ve been that nasty looking ‘stache. Clarence Goodson anyone?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/09/04 at 11:09 AM

I watched that game and I’m not sure I agree with you. He did have a miscommunication with the keeper which preceded and OG, but he was one of the few Crew defenders standing up his guy.

He consistently came up to meet threats that his midfield should have had.

In no way, his best game, but I think he was struggling with balancing trusting his defenders an staying at home and coming up to meet offenders. And as we saw in the Gold Cup, he lacks that experience in that he lost when things start to go a bit haywire around him.

He’ll have Boca next to him and Howard behind him — I think he’ll be fine and he’ll shine.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/09/05 at 7:02 AM

Bradley showed a lot of confidence in Goodson in the Gold Cup after Conrad went down, so he could consider him here. Remember, however, Goodson, did not acquit himself well in the second half of the 5-0 loss being out of position and getting torched repeatedly.

2. Posted by Kevin U. on 2009/09/04 at 1:43 PM

I’ll just say with Marshall in the middle we better hope that Boca has a great game. I’m interested in watching Spector I think he has potential to be a continual starter on the back 4. I just hope that this group is cohesive and and holds them down from the start. We don’t need them getting confidence with an early goal like the last time we played them.

3. Posted by MikeCholey on 2009/09/04 at 4:33 PM

I live in SD and was wondering where one could go to watch soccer? Thanks!

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/09/05 at 6:50 AM

Hey Mike,

I have lived here less than a year, so I am still trying to figure this out.

I have been to Shakespeare’s Pub in Mission Hills to watch games. It is a fantastic bar with good food. Also, it is an Arsenal supporters bar first and then everything else. It has games running all the time. Most are free, but the charge a cover for English national games as well as some others that they by PPV.

Curiously, they don’t have all the USMNT games on; they’re that English. They have an online calendar that lists games that they’ll be showing and US-El Salvador is not listed and they didn’t show the US-MEX game because it conflicted with an English game. However, I did watch the Confed Cup game versus Spain there and it was rockin’ with USMNT supporters.

Ussoccer.com lists O’Briens in Kearny Mesa as an “Official US Soccer Bar”. I haven’t been there yet, but I may cruise over today for the game.

Beyond that, I have more homework to do, but will let you know if I find anything out.

Cheers,
      Mark

4. Posted by Kevin on 2009/09/05 at 10:46 AM

With Demerit out of shape, this is great chance for Marshall to shine like matthew said. I’m not a big fan of Marshall, but he’s your best bet in the middle with an undersized Boca.