Start Slicing the Orange Wedges, It’s Game Day

Add to: Facebook | Digg | Del.icio.us | Stumbleupon | Reddit | Twitter | Furl | Newsvine

Editor’s Note: TSG will have running commentary during the game by Shaun who is from the other side of the pond. I’ll be checking in with the starting line-up, Quick-hitters at the Half and a quick recap after the game. The full game review will be up tomorrow morning Pacific time. Enjoy the game!

Start slicing the orange wedges, mixing up the yellow Gatorade and making sure the cleats look spiffy…it’s game day. Tonight the USMNT continues its quest towards South Africa ’10 (and world domination) with its match versus El Salvador

Check back here for notes throughout the day and the starting line-ups right before kick-off. Don’t forget, the full TSG El Salvador Preview.

• Game time is 6pm Mountain Time and will be shown on ESPN Classic
  • Add this Bob Bradley quote to Boca’s and there is roughly a zero chance DeMerit is on the gameday roster. From Coach Bradley, “It would look like he’s out for tomorrow and then we will continue to see how he improves over the next few days in terms of availability for Wednesday.”
  • Curiously, the ussoccer.com USMNT blog suggests Goodson, Marshall and Spector “could be considered as replacements”. The first two, okay, Spector…no way.
  • Some rumblings from those with press credentials suggest that Dempsey could find himself up top to start the game. That would free up a spot in the midfield allowing for a whole host of new combinations, so stay tuned…

Time to start getting fired up. Check out Charlie Davies doing practicing his Stanky Leg as filmed by Stu Holden this morning. (It’s really awesome that guys like Davies, Holden, Ching, Altidore, Edu and Adu have embraced social media.)

Check out this 10-minute “Behind the Scenes” video of the USMNT in El Salvador as put together by US Soccer.

Some comments…1) The music at the beginning, while dramatic, makes it sound like they are about to extras in the sequel to Drumline. 2) Better angle of the Frankie shove-off to bury the header that Matthew talked in the preview post. 3) Soccer cheerleaders?

1. Posted by Kevin U. on 2009/09/05 at 8:14 AM

We gotta come out tonight and make a statement on our home field, we can’t give them any confidence early on in the game. It’s unfortunate we don’t have our usual back 4 but I hope these guys step in and play good. Watching that video I almost wish Hedjuk was on the roster for tonights game, I love his passion and I think we coulda used him at defense tonight. Let’s get on them early and often and get these much needed 3 points.

2. Posted by Mark T on 2009/09/05 at 8:27 AM

I hear ya, Kevin. The US side needs to start this final round of qualifying on a high note, coming out strong to start both halves. Possession in the midfield is even more important with losses in central defense.

(If Bob knew DeMerit was unfit, Frankie may have gotten a look. )

3. The Free Beer Movement’s “love for the Nats” at: http://bit.ly/FpNPj

4. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/09/05 at 9:50 AM

that would be a dream come true if Duece starts up top. Thats what I’ve been calling for since the end of the Mexico match. Duece-Davies? I think YES. Too bad i’m going to miss the game because I’ll be at the beach for my step-mother’s parents’ anniversary. I’ll definitely be praising the tivo Gods this weekend but its always better live. The Mexico-C.R. game is directly after ours on the spanish channel 52 so tune into that also.

Another thing, Argentina-Brazil is around 3 hours 10 minutes after our game. You can watch it on justin.tv there will be plenty of faithfuls broadcasting live feeds. I’ll post a couple links before hand. Since we know Mexico will hav a hard time even getting 1 point in saprissa, I’m Hoping for an Argentina loss to stay in 5th. . .you can see where i’m going with this

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/09/05 at 9:58 AM

Deuce has had a nose for the goal this summer, but with his questionable work rate for the USMNT, I’d like to see him as fresh 65th – 70th minute sub for Davies or Altidore. I just can’t get away from wanting to see the “thunder and lightning” combo of Altidore and Davies for long stretches on the pitch.

Thanks for the info on the other big games in this hemisphere.

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/09/05 at 10:34 AM

exactly what I think Dempsey should be up top, but I’d rather have Altidore and Davies together as they seem to compliment each other very well. I would give Dempsey one more go at midfield but I wouldn’t be upset if he was on the bench. maybe start him in the middle instead of Rico or Bradley and slide BF or Iceman to the left.

5. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/09/05 at 9:04 PM

Turns out the Brazil game was the same time as ours. Time zone fail. Argentina got smashed