For all the talk of “playing to win” and of this match being a “desperation game”, it was just a dreadful first half for the US. Sadly, their uninspired play is becoming more the rule than the exception. Face it folks, this is the team — inconsistent, sloppy and frustrating with increasingly smaller stretches of quality play.
The First 45:
- Bradley trotted out a line-up designed for a one-goal win or tie. And they’re making T&T look like the team fighting for a WC spot
- Howard has played well, though a better ball would have beaten him on the Glenn chip off the woodwork
- Bornstein and Spector are acting like this game is a continuation from Saturday. [EDIT: Upon re-watching the first half they played better, but still had a number of individual lapses.] Meanwhile Boca is having a bad game and Gooch looks sluggish…and is making up for it by committing fouls
- Bradley and Clark (save for his nice long-ball to Davies) are non-existent and more than a few times Howard and the back-four have bypassed them entirely to start the attack with a hopeful boomer to T&T’s 18
- Dempsey should actually get on a plane back to England at half…he’s playing like he is on it already
- Donovan needs to improve his set pieces
- Davies and Altidore are playing okay, but aside from a few exchanges they haven’t been a factor…perhaps because they haven’t gotten great srevice
Looking Ahead to the 2nd Half:
- Hopefully some changes at half-time. Feilhaber for Clark is a possibility…I’d like that and Holden for Dempsey
- T&T’s wingbacks look a little unsure of themselves in possession…US should provide a bit more pressure.
- Not sure Bradley can scream “TAKE CARE OF THE BALL” loud enough at half.
- Gooch seems vulnerable to the mammoth Kenwyne Jones and needs to put forth a better effort if the crosses keep raining it
One goal still wins it, but unless there is a dramatic turnaround in the second half, the US will not walk away with the result they were talking about going in.