Weekend wrapping by TSG:
- Fuzzy math tells me that almost 80% of USMNT’ers that returned to their club did not dress or feature this weekend. One player note however. Michael Bradley who remained in the doghouse and on the bench for Borussia Moenchengladbach — can I get a nickname for that club from someone?
- Our weekend preview suggested that no one was living in Goochville, Milan. Now we can’t even find the neighborhood on the map just like Milan can’t find the victor sheet. Oneywu didn’t dress for Milan on Saturday and Milan only mustered a draw versus average joe Livorno. That being said, as our piece suggested a few weeks ago, look for Gooch to play–probably subbing–this Sunday against Bologna at home. Fox Soccer Channel has the game (man, they rock this year). If you don’t see the American CD’er, it may be awhile.
- Arsenal fans should be irate if Emmanuel Adebayor doesn’t get a heavy suspension for his purposeful cleat to the face of Robin Van Persie. If Eduardo gets an unsportsmanlike call and pending suspension for diving, you better believe that Adebayor should be roped to the bench for multiple games. His play was disgusting.
- Speaking of Adebayor and Manchester City, don’t look now but guess who’s been scored on the least in the EPL. That’s right, the Citizens of Manchester City. The team that was deemed all offense and no defense by pundits and fellow managers has two goals against in four league games. Perhaps Man City have the starting pitching to go all the way.
- I sure hope you got our Liverpool-Burnley warning on Friday and slept in on the West Coast. You knew 15 minutes in the outcome of this game. You were sure of it on a Dirk Kuyt strike at 41 minutes where Burnley players look bewildered.
- It figured with four goalies from the US of A attached to teams, that one of them might lead the EPL in clean sheets at this point. Most–scratch that all–would have bet on Tim Howard. While Howard has been fed to the lions by Everton’s defense, Brad Friedel is one goal short of keeping perfect the four games he’s featured. Friedel’s game was outright squeaky against only 3 shots on this Sunday even though Villa subbed in three of his back four.
- On a weekend where Michael Jordan got inducted into the Hall of Fame and Derek Jeter immortalized himself further as the New York Yankee hit leader, it was only fitting the Ryan Giggs evened the score against Tottenham. Just youtube “Ryan Giggs” and you’ll see an extensive video collection of the legend’s highlights.
- He’s still the Renewed Freddy Adu even though he didn’t see the pine this weekend. TSG is backing Freddy Adu pretty hard with his new team as Adu–even upon calls for us to be the opposite–has been a gentleman in the face of a frustrating past few months. Cheers to you, Freddy.
- Hey Alexi Lalas, how’s your argument that size trumps speed and ability holding up? That’s 5’6” Jermaine Defoe co-leading the top scorer perch in the EPL, arguably the globe’s most physical league. Number five came on this sweet Lance Armstrong move below. Atop the boards with him, Wayne Rooney, who’s got two from PKs….and stands only 5’9”.
- Update: I just saw a replay of the Damien Duff goal for Fulham against Everton– horrific defending. Duff is cutting to the middle on the Fulham right flank. How do you not expect him to cut to his stronger foot? Get up on that! For those not keen on Damien Duff, Duff is to left foot, what Donovan is to right foot. It’s just known.
One more note from this game. With the return of Andrew Johnson (you think Everton misses him right now) to the top of the attack paired with Bobby Zamora, Clint “The Enigma” Dempsey returned to the midfield. It appears that move up top was just temporary by Cottager’s manager Roy Hodgson.