Tuesday 09/29 One-Liners

• Nice job by Shaun on the a little pre-game preview of today’s Champion’s League “match-ups.” See the story below.

• Thanks to TSG commentator Antonio (and ESPN……THREE……SIXTY!…that’s how I feel about it) I will be watching even more soccer. About to take in the USMNTers against Cameroon’s Indominatable Lions on “the 360.”

Amazing DeMerit's eye injury didn't come on the pitch.

Amazingly, DeMerit's eye injury didn't come on the pitch.

• Speaking of the Indomitable Lions, TSG is working on our follow-up to our nickname piece.  Add more commentary here.

• USMNT’er and Confederation’s Cup stalwart Jay DeMerit is now a candidate for surgery as his contact-sliced eyeball is not healing. Good luck in getting back out their Jay; we miss the cover in the middle. Paging Goodison and Conrad.

Freddy Adu sleeps with a soccer ball and the Twitterati is giving him hell for it. Check it out here. Ah, the instant feedback of Twitter. Oh, and we’re again in Freddy’s corner–the kid is passionate.

• TSG crashed and burned hard on our EPL prognostications, no wins for Arsenal and Chelsea and we gave West Ham a chance on the road. We’ll be laying low for awhile. In other news, we see Honduras 10 – USA 0 — okay hopefully we reverse jinxed this.

• Hull City hopefully get an injury boost with a date set for the return of former Fulham middleman Jimmy Bullard. Any English nattie team fans want to tell us who’s fallen futher, Bullard or Bentley?

• The situation in Honduras is more volatile than Craig Bellamy. However, what TSG is wondering is, with Benny going to the distance in Monday’s match and Bradley seeing only 45 mins of pitch time over the last 3 games for Bo….Munchen!, what is Bob Bradley contemplating right now.

• Boy, we’ve dropped the ball on our soccer business pieces. While American owner Stan Kroenke has done at least a decent job of endearing himself to the Arsenal faithful over at Emirates, the same cannot be said for the States’ duo of Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Here’s just the next item in the Liverpool saga.

• First Damien Duff and now possibly….Nigel Reo-Coker? That’s a crowded midfield and forward picture that Roy Hodgson is Bob Ross’ing over there at Fulham. Where does Clint fit in the watercolors?

• Okay, Duka and Cruz in the starting side for the U.S. About to start….see you in a bit.

1. Posted by Mark T on 2009/09/29 at 10:02 AM

The Cameroon GK looks like he couldn’t even play for the U-30 team. No way that guy is a teenager.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/09/29 at 10:04 AM

Yeah, he’s definitely been in an old Arnold movie.

There is a guy on Cameroon name Banana Yaya — Add that to the possible first and middle names for my first born.

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/09/29 at 10:12 AM

The announcer is “spot on” with “Ike Opara is on the job tonight.” Excellent and tough clearance on corner thus far and a lot stronger play than against ze Germans.

3. Posted by Mark T on 2009/09/29 at 10:23 AM

I love how the announcer refers to the US as simply “States”, not even “The States”.

I think I am going to start doing that.

4. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/09/29 at 10:33 AM

Great goal by U.S. — super active in the box…except, and not to be negative, if you’re Brek Shea how come your not mixing it up on the aerials?

5. Posted by Mark T on 2009/09/29 at 10:54 AM

Did ESPN just miss 2 minutes of the second half including the second US goal for their studio show and commercials or am I crazy?

• Are you really surprised by this??? As I’ve commented before

Back in 2006 (I think) Arsenal and AC Milan were squaring off in the Champion’s League Semi-Finals, second leg. ESPN2 had shown the Barcelona match the day before, but on Wednesday what did my Comcast tell me was going to be shown on ESPN2 instead of the match? Jump Roping. That is correct, a competition where people jump over ropes swung by others. So, I set my VCR anyway, praying that Comcast was just not updated and the match would be televised. What did my wondering eyes behold when I rewound the tape? Jump Roping!!! Effing Jump Roping!!!!! I almost went completely mental. Later that day I called and dished out an extra $5 a month for ESPN Deportes.

6. Posted by Mark T on 2009/09/29 at 11:10 AM

Goal #3…Duka…wow!

(assuming it was a shot)

7. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/09/29 at 9:26 PM

i said it once and i’ll say it again, WATCH OUT FOR THE DUK’STER!

the baduka, the duke. idk someone help me out.

8. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/09/29 at 9:40 PM

Classic example of individual talent being combined into an exceptional team effort. As you can see we have some pretty nice potential in Taylor(although his finishing is suspect), Dilly(hell yea), Danny Cruz, Arguez, Shea, etc. Hats off to Rongen on the line-up changes he was dead on although Williams & Flores were looking iffy at times on the outside back. And was it me or was Brek playing up front with taylor and as a roaming winger at the same time?

speaking of finishing. . .Cameroon was disgusting, they need to go to a Samuel Eto’o strikers camp or something because they couldnt put the ball into the ocean with those strikes

• I’m prefacing this comment with the fact that I’ve only watched the first 65 minutes or so (not sure the exact minute of Duka’s goal) so take it for what it’s worth.

I’m not seeing the exceptional team effort so far in terms of technique and tactics. The first half and most of the second the US U-20’s looked pedestrian at best. The lack of possession anywhere on the field is becoming a cancerous issue throughout the entire National Team program.

On the positive side, this group found a way with the first and third goals (thanks again ESPN for missing the second one) against the run of play. I know they won the game eventually 4-1, so it’s also nice to see them getting the job done, and finishing off an opponent which is something that this program from the senior side on down has lacked. Congrats to the U-20’s and hopefully they’ll be playing with tons of confidence on Thursday.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/09/30 at 7:31 PM

Nuck if you havent figured it out through previous comments i’m addicted to excessive use of hyperboles. That is. . .except for Duka’s beastieness

• Antonio, gotcha about the hyperbole. I’ve been a little slow these past few weeks. I finished watching the game and the US did string some nice passes and spells of possession together. I think where I have a problem is we all know that Barcelona’s style of play is the pinnacle of possession footie and we expect our teams to get there some day; it’s just a lot longer of a road than I thought.

All of that being said, the US did look solid at times and shaky at other times, but they managed to score and close out the game, which is an accomplishment in itself. Hopefully they can do the same against Korea and move into the next round, buying themselves some time to impress the scouts out there and earn themselves moves to better clubs who will continue their development.