Orange Wedges is a running post that will be updated until the start of the match.
- Via Twitter: JozyAltidore17 Ahh the time has come and the boys look ready as am I. Wish us luck as we try and qualify for our 6th straight World Cup! Show some love. I don’t know about you, but I am pumped. Looking forward to watching the game with a packed house of USMNT fans. Let’s go boys!
- Headed out to O’Brien’s soon. In case mobile service is spotty the US starting line-up will be out 1 hour before the game ussoccer.com.
- 3 Hours to kickoff and according to @ussoccer on Twitter the stadium is full! (oh for that to happen in the US.)
- Break out the galoshes it’s pouring rain in San Pedro Sula. The forecast doesn’t dip below a 50% chance of rain until late tonight. Not so great for the Yanks, with the hard tackling and linking play or Thomas and Palacios in the middle, Honduras will be ok with a “sloggy” field. The Americans on the otherhand are going to look to get the ball up the wing quickly as well as counterattack and mushy turf is going to slow that down. (Unless, of course, Charlie Davies mutha was a mudda.)
- Not sure if we mentioned this yet, but the referee for tonight’s match is Roberto Moreno who also presided over the US-MEX game at Azteca. This is no bueno for the USMNT if he sees the game the same way he did back in August.
- Nice to see someone finally say it. Brain Ching (via ESPN.com): “”But our mentality won’t change from the last few games. We want to attack and score. These are the types of games we must now start winning.” Thank you, Brian. It is borderline embarrassing for USSoccer.com to have an elaborate Scenario Generator producing all the ways the USMNT can back into the World Cup when they can get in by going out and playing great soccer that nets them a W and three points.
- In Matthew’s post the other day he alluded to the yellow card issues that Bob-O may consider when constructing the line-up. Both Matthew and I think that he needs to put the best eleven out there. Period. (The time is now.) Here are the players carrying a Big Bird Feather into the match: (I really don’t like the phrase “yellow card jeopardy”…any suggestions?)Altidore, Bocanegra, Casey, Cherundolo, Clark, Donovan, Feilhaber and Hedjuk…..we are potentially talking six starters here, more likely five.
- Steven Goff also checked in from Honduras late yesterday with some interesting quotes:Landon Donovan on playing in Central America: “”The unique thing in a lot of [Central American] countries is the passion of everyone in the stadium. Generally, when you play in Europe, you get a section of the stadium that is passionate – maybe 3-4-5-10,000 people. But here it’s going to be 25-30,000 — whatever the stadium holds — incredibly passionate people. You can just feel the difference in the energy.”Boca on the lack of TV coverage: “It’s sad.” He’s got that right!
- Grant Wahl checking in from San Pedro Sula. He also Twittered that he was the only reporter with the stones to make the six-hour trip up to Tegucigalpa to see what was going on. Not too surprisingly, nothing much was going on in the capital, so he was eating at Chili’s. UPDATE: Unfortunately, sounds like Grant ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and was held-up at gunpoint. Lost his wallet and iPhone, but otherwise he report he okay.
- American Outlaw Garrett Quinn has made it safely to Honduras. He sent us a note saying he will be “blogging extensively” so follow him on Twitter, his live stream and his blog (political views expressed are solely Garrett’s).
- Game time is 7pm Pacific…do what you can to be at one of these 36 venues for the English feed. If you are at O’Brien’s in San Diego I’ll be wearing a black DTOM hat with the snake on the front…come say aloha. Matthew will be at Danny Coyles in SF…he’ll probably be rockin’ his lucky man-purse (I kid, Matthew).
- TSG’s in-depth preview can be found here.
- Do you guys remember this…