Orange Wedges: Finishing Strong

Add to: Facebook | Digg | Del.icio.us | Stumbleupon | Reddit | Yahoo Buzz | Newsvine

Orange Wedges is a running post that will be updated until the start of the match.

Saturday

• Via Twitter:  JozyAltidore17 Ahh the time has come and the boys look ready as am I. Wish us luck as we try and qualify for our 6th straight World Cup! Show some love. I don’t know about you, but I am pumped. Looking forward to watching the game with a packed house of USMNT fans. Let’s go boys!
  • Headed out to O’Brien’s soon. In case mobile service is spotty the US starting line-up will be out 1 hour before the game ussoccer.com.
  • 3 Hours to kickoff and according to @ussoccer on Twitter the stadium is full! (oh for that to happen in the US.)
  • Break out the galoshes it’s pouring rain in San Pedro Sula.  The forecast doesn’t dip below a 50% chance of rain until late tonight. Not so great for the Yanks, with the hard tackling and linking play or Thomas and Palacios in the middle, Honduras will be ok with a “sloggy” field. The Americans on the otherhand are going to look to get the ball up the wing quickly as well as counterattack and mushy turf is going to slow that down. (Unless, of course, Charlie Davies mutha was a mudda.)
  • Not sure if we mentioned this yet, but the referee for tonight’s match is Roberto Moreno who also presided over the US-MEX game at Azteca. This is no bueno for the USMNT if he sees the game the same way he did back in August.
  • Nice to see someone finally say it. Brain Ching (via ESPN.com): “”But our mentality won’t change from the last few games. We want to attack and score. These are the types of games we must now start winning.” Thank you, Brian. It is borderline embarrassing for USSoccer.com to have an elaborate Scenario Generator producing all the ways the USMNT can back into the World Cup when they can get in by going out and playing great soccer that nets them a W and three points.
  • In Matthew’s post the other day he alluded to the yellow card issues that Bob-O may consider when constructing the line-up. Both Matthew and I think that he needs to put the best eleven out there. Period. (The time is now.) Here are the players carrying a Big Bird Feather into the match: (I really don’t like the phrase “yellow card jeopardy”…any suggestions?)Altidore, Bocanegra, Casey, Cherundolo, Clark, Donovan, Feilhaber and Hedjuk…..we are potentially talking six starters here, more likely five.
  • Steven Goff also checked in from Honduras late yesterday with some interesting quotes:Landon Donovan on playing in Central America: “”The unique thing in a lot of [Central American] countries is the passion of everyone in the stadium. Generally, when you play in Europe, you get a section of the stadium that is passionate – maybe 3-4-5-10,000 people. But here it’s going to be 25-30,000 — whatever the stadium holds — incredibly passionate people. You can just feel the difference in the energy.”Boca on the lack of TV coverage: “It’s sad.” He’s got that right!

Friday

• Grant Wahl checking in from San Pedro Sula. He also Twittered that he was the only reporter with the stones to make the six-hour trip up to Tegucigalpa to see what was going on. Not too surprisingly, nothing much was going on in the capital, so he was eating at Chili’s. UPDATE: Unfortunately, sounds like Grant ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and was held-up at gunpoint. Lost his wallet and iPhone, but otherwise he report he okay.
  • American Outlaw Garrett Quinn has made it safely to Honduras. He sent us a note saying he will be “blogging extensively” so follow him on Twitter, his live stream and his blog (political views expressed are solely Garrett’s).
  • Game time is 7pm Pacific…do what you can to be at one of these 36 venues for the English feed. If you are at O’Brien’s in San Diego I’ll be wearing a black DTOM hat with the snake on the front…come say aloha. Matthew will be at Danny Coyles in SF…he’ll probably be rockin’ his lucky man-purse (I kid, Matthew).
  • TSG’s in-depth preview can be found here.

• Do you guys remember this…

1. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/10/09 at 2:32 PM

It’s a murse or satchel. I’ll be at Danny Coyles — I don’t plan my attire out like my brother….or lose at shuffleboard like him…and I hope his tradition of supporting losing teams (Jets / Mets) doesn’t carry over to the USMNT tomorrow.

Don’t worry it will be countered by me (Yanks / Giants) and a bunch of hardcore AO guys that made the journey.

See you at Coyles….early.

• Posted by kaya on 2009/10/10 at 11:21 AM

i’m more softcore myself.
      so seriously, i’m supposed to look for some guy carrying a man bag?

2. Posted by Mark T on 2009/10/09 at 2:34 PM

Matthew, good point on being at bars EARLY.

Got a note from the owner of O’Brien’s, he expects it to be full by 6pm…a full hour before game time.

3. Posted by Matthew N on 2009/10/09 at 3:57 PM

Hopefully I will be able to find an online radio stream. I was going to follow that Garrett fellow, but I can’t bring myself to follow someone that tweets about politics. I guess at this point I’ll just stare at US Soccer’s Twitter feed for two hours and imagine what the game looks like.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/10/09 at 4:26 PM

I have to believe you can at least an intermittent stream on Justin.TV

• Posted by Matthew N on 2009/10/10 at 4:51 AM

Yeah I’ll probably be using my phone though. Some friends are having a house party that I have to make an appearance at so I’ll probably just keep frantically refreshing Twitter unless I can find a radio broadcast. I might have to be “that guy” tonight and have a bluetooth on at the party, listening to the match. Hopefully I can find a stream.

• Posted by kaya on 2009/10/10 at 11:09 AM

What? You don’t want to read about how great the coup is in between play by plays?

4. Posted by Kevin on 2009/10/09 at 5:03 PM

Please does anyone know where I can watch the game from Houston, or near Houston like San Antonio or Dallas, if I’m under 21? I’ve thought about going to Pizza Hut Park, but I don’t feel like going to my rival club’s stadium where there will be lots of people wearing their colors.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/10/09 at 7:37 PM

Kevin — TSG will look around — by the way — we’re taking your comment here and sending it over to U.S. Soccer and ESPN.

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/10/10 at 6:49 AM

that’s fine by me. ESPN should put more effort into trying to televise the game anyway.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/10/10 at 8:10 AM

Matthew it is pretty clear that US Soccer doesn’t care about fans watching the game at this point.

Consider that if you go to their website and click on “Where to watch” they only list the “Official US Soccer Bars” that are showing the game. You would need to click through the small link at the bottom to see the full list.

There are only 37 venues. US Soccer can’t get over themselves to list all 37 instead of leaving off just 16 because the are not “official” bars…PATHETIC!

• Do you guys have contact information for all 37 locales that are showing the match? I was going to try to contact them to get a rough head count as that would be some interesting statistics for ESPN and FSC to use when obtaining the rights for a match.

• Dude… just go to Dallas. Your #1 color is red , white, and blue. Orange takes a back seat today.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/10/10 at 8:21 AM

Gotta agree with you here Free Beer.

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/10/10 at 10:08 AM

I know that Free Beer, but that door is closed for me anyway. I just found out I’m not going to have time to drive to another city anyway. I have to find something in Houston which I don’t think will happen.

5. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/10/09 at 7:37 PM

So no spanish channels either? Bummer

6. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/10/10 at 9:53 AM

There is no value to “talking” about the yellow card issue. Just make your line-up selection, but acknowledging you are considering the next game in the press has only negative value.

Anywho….Robert Green sent off for the England already, Schevchenko missed a pk and I’m sitting here watching Bahrain-New Zealand on FSC’s “Battle for 2010.”

7. Posted by ed on 2009/10/10 at 11:31 AM

is Danny Coyles charging a fee? I’m planning on coming from central Cali and want to know what to expect.

8. Posted by Brad on 2009/10/10 at 9:32 PM

WE DID IT!!!!!!!

By the way, AMAZING turnout / atmosphere at the Saint Paul feed location. It makes a soccer fan proud!