Charlie Davies In Car Accident

» Update @ 8:15pm PT: USSF press release details Davies’ injures including a fractured femur and suggests recovery time of six to twelve months.

» Update @ 4:30pm PT: The Associated Press is reporting that Davies is in “serious condition” according to an “update…provided by Washington Hospital Center Medstar spokeswoman So Young Pak…”

» Official press release from US Soccer from Tuesday afternoon can be found here.

−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−

Confirmed reports now that USMNT first-teamer Charlie Davies was involved in a car accident today and is in surgery. According to multiple reports his injuries are not life threatening. Our thoughts go to Charlie and those involved in the crash.

Be well, Charlie.

We’ll pass along more as the verified sources come in.

Grant Wahl (Sport Illustrated.com): Twitter and first report on SportsIllustrated.com

Steve Goff, (Washington Post / Soccer Insider): Twitter and most recent blog update.

A story from ESPN News Service and a report from ESPN’s SportsCenter.

More details on the crash via a story from local DC radio station WTOP and a story from NBCWashington.com.

TSG has emailed USMNT spokesperson Neil Buethe for the earliest release.

1. Posted by Andy on 2009/10/13 at 12:23 PM

Terrible. Just terrible news.

2. Incredibly poor news. My condolences and prayers are with the victims and their families. Especially Charlie. Jesus Christ…unbelievable.

3. Posted by MG3 on 2009/10/13 at 1:20 PM

I feel horrible. I want to first send my condolences to the family who lost a loved one. I hope Charlie is able to recover and live a “normal” life. Soccer is not on my mind now for Charlie.

Is there anything we can do tomorrow at the game for Charlie and the young woman who lost her life?

4. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/10/13 at 1:26 PM

Matt at TSG here –

We are trying to aggregate as much information as possible and pass it along to you, our readers.

If a forum or dialogue wants to begin here in regards to cheering Davies tomorrow, please continue.

We’ll pass along what we know to be verified and from reputable sources only and update the piece above as frequently as possible.

Matthew

5. Posted by kaya on 2009/10/13 at 1:42 PM

holy hell.
    wow…. cars are neccessary but terrify me. this is just terrible and there are never words to describe…

6. First and foremost, as a human being I hope that he physically and mentally recovers to the point that he can lead a normal life.

Secondly. as a fan of the USMNT, I hope that he can one day suit up again for the ‘Nats.

7. Posted by kaya on 2009/10/13 at 2:32 PM

ESPN article’s saying Charlie wasn’t driving…

• Posted by Berg on 2009/10/13 at 2:46 PM

It’s tough to say that there is anything “good” about a situation in which someone has lost their life, but I’m glad to hear this simply because the burden one would feel, rightly or wrongly, about being responsible for another person’s death would be crushing.

Sincerest regrets for the family of the young woman and hope that Davies will recover quickly and completely.

8. Posted by Sãoldinho on 2009/10/13 at 4:58 PM

This is quite unfortunate. So do we pair Altidore with Casey/Ching up front or do we move Donovan up and slot Dempsey into the central midfield role he’s been wanting anyhow? If we want a Charlie Davies, what’s Freddy Adu doing tomorrow?

9. Posted by Andy on 2009/10/13 at 7:14 PM

Thoughts and prayer to the Davies family and the other two families involved. Heal fast Charlie.

10. [...] write about the game when the team’s 23-year-old spark-plug is lying in a hospital bed after a horrific accident and after I just met Charlie’s proud father this past Saturday while watching the Honduras [...]

11. Posted by Kevin on 2009/10/14 at 2:29 PM

Wow really!

1st- I hope the best for Charlie, his family and certainly the family of the one unfortunate that died
    2nd-does anyone happen to know any more details?
    3rd-As a USMNT fan, this is crushing. It certainly isn’t more crushing than the news of death and injury, but in the sports perspective this means BB either starts Altidore and Casey, Altidore and Dempsey, Dempsey and Casey, or Dempsey and Ching. Obviously Dempsey can’t start for the next game, but on the us soccer link they said recovery time was 6-12 months, which could fall under the world cup time range.

The most Important thing to me Is that Charlie makes a FULL recovery because even if he has to miss the world cup he’s still young and no doubt he has enough years in him to probably make a run for the next World Cup. If he doesn’t make a full recovery and gets hurt it could cause some chronic injuries which is bad for everyone. I don’t understand if he will even be able to suit up for the nat or any team again, so if he doesn’t I still wish the best of luck because I for one can’t Imagine being in a Car Wreck and finding out I can’t play my favorite sport ever again (which also happens to be my job)
    I’ll probably want to send an email, but I wouldn’t know what to say.

12. [...] Now, the rest of the conversation with the US striker whose body and World Cup candidacy appeared to rudely fall apart one fateful night last October. [...]