An abbreviated column this week (TSG needs to recharge the old 9-volt) on Americans abroad and things you should be watching instead of some non-ranked college football game or Phillies vs. Dodgers. You can always watch….the Yanks! Thank you. Thank you.
Here we go with some bullets:
• We start with Tottenham – Porstmouth. No, no North Americans involved. However the conspicuous absence of USMNT opponent Wilson Palacios (the key player for Honduras home and away). Palacios was told by Honduras to stay home following their world cup qualification….and party. Johnny Bornstein, you’re in for a treat on your visit there.
• Wow, well done ESPN. No not for your coverage of the USMNT this past week which was extremely tardy and erroneous. You’ve got a legitimate game! Aston-Villa vs. Chelsea early Saturday morning. Timer, coffee pot, set.
• On Monday, Fulham welcome Hull City to the pitch at Craven Cottage. Dempsey, well it will be interesting if the Deuce starts on the pitch. Hull City bring Jozy Altidore and former UK flavor of the year, and Fulham man, Jiimmy Bullard with them. Should be a good match.
ESPN, yup, they’ve got that one too. So does TSG, with live commentary from very funny man Shaun (from the Lower Haight? Shaun, we need a moniker for you). Please bear with the typos.
• Liverpool vs. Sunderland on Saturday. A very good test for the Reds. They’ve got Stevie Gerrard and Fernando Torres surrounded in ice packs. Can they pull off a win against a surging Sunderland side without their two best?
• Everton takes on Wolverhampton on Saturday at home. We’ll hopefully see one US keeper and it should be Marcus Hahnemann for the away side. Howard, you read a rest. In fact, you know he needs a rest if you can’t remember the back-up’s name (I think they got him from Wigan?) and you’re a fan. (Update: Got the Wigan part, Carlo Nash is the other…..he’s not that bad.)
With Tiger Woods wannabee Craig Bellamy enjoying a resugence, SWP contributing for club and country, and
Roque Santa Cruz actually making an appearance, Brazilian tyke Robinho has been sure to start the buzz that he wants to go back to Spain, specifically world champs Barcelona. Quoting the deft forward, “I’ve only been able to play them on PlayStation.“
• Stoke – West Ham United. TSG is hoping that Jonathan Spector sits the bench for this one. Really? No, but if he’s not there, he should make sure the US has a scribe for Thomas Sorenson’s tendencies. The solid Stoke goalie is Denish–I mean Danish and a likely squad starter to faceoff against the States on November 18th.
• And we bring it back home finally. TSG led some commentary that suggested in July that Stu Holden was shaping up to be an excellent torch bearer for the USMNT when Donovan’s time has passed. The face-off to close the weekend Sunday at 3pm EST. I might actually catch that one.
See you on Monday.