Davies Out of ICU, Support Abundant

CD9: Treating us to an exit from ICU

CD9: Treating us to an exit from ICU

News from US Soccer today that less than one week after a horrific car accident USMNT striker Charlie Davies continues to improve:

News remains positive on the condition of Charlie Davies, who continues to improve and has been moved out of the Intensive Care Unit at Washington Hospital Center in Washington, D.C. Davies has been able to receive and speak with visitors. He will have surgery early next week to repair a broken left elbow, and may require operations to deal with facial fractures.

Even with the Yanks broken up until November 18th and back on club duty, the minds and thoughts of the USMNT remain on Charlie:

• Meanwhile, Roger and Sacha Kljestan have decided to wear CD9 on their wrists in their forthcoming games.
  • Up in Foxboro yesterday during the Revs-Fire draw, another tribute 9th min tribute orchestrated by a man named James on Twitter and the American Outlaws Boston. (10/17)
  • Chivas USA supporters threw up the 9s as well over the weekend during their match with the San Jose Quakes. (10/18)
  • Charlie’s club team, Sochaux, hopefully gave CD9 a boost when they bested previously unbeaten Lyon in their first game after the break. Before the match, players donned shirts that read “Get Well Charlie” and fans paid tribute in the stands throughout. (Here is the match report from the Soxchaux website. Scroll down to the bottom and click through the pictures to see the shirts and banners.)

USMNT fans and players, something special.

Here’s a great video tribute to CD9:

1. Posted by Kevin on 2009/10/18 at 9:12 AM

your links are all borken exceppt for the Stu link

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/10/18 at 10:14 AM

Kevin:

Seem to be working for me — check your connection.

Matthew

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/10/18 at 11:03 AM

ya it’s working now. I think it was just my internet connection. Am I the only one who finds it funny that Altidore called Davies “the kid”?

3. Posted by kaya on 2009/10/18 at 11:02 AM

Nice little write up in lequipe.fr about Sochaux’s win against Lyon: http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2009/20091017_234825_gillot-pour-charlie.html

“We did it for him. Tonight is a bit his victory.”

I had no idea Charlie was married (teammate Mikari says in the article he spoke with his wife.) I find that really odd for someone who has such a public electronic profile that we never heard about any SO.
    I also read somehwere that Charlie was in the back of that SUV. I supposed that was where Ashley was; it didn’t seem like someone would’ve survived being in the backseat from the photo I saw.

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/10/18 at 11:04 AM

do you have any links to the photo?

• Posted by kaya on 2009/10/18 at 1:16 PM

Kevin… a quick google image search will get you what you want. I feel it’s a little morbid to link…

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/10/18 at 4:40 PM

I guess you could call it morbid, but I just want to get an idea of how lucky he was. I hear all sorts of people saying he should count his blessings and I just wanted to see for myself.