We’re Getting Excited: USMNT One Week Notice

Wow, we are about one week away from more USMNT action. No doubt as we get closer to the Slovakia and Denmark friendlies, the questions of

alti

A look back...

rosters (which I believe we should learn shortly on the US side, maybe Monday after (the) MLS playoff round closes?), line-ups and tactics will abound.

For now, goto US Soccer and take a look at the behind the scenes view of the October 14 RFK game. Once again, we have to give a pat on the back to USSF for making video available to the fans.

Cost of a camera to shoot the video: @$8,000

Cost of the camera man to shoot the piece and the editing: @$5,000

Total cost: $13K or so…(and remember that’s a one-time camera purchase)

Which begs the question? ESPN, what are you doing with your production coverage? TSG alerted you to the 9th minute salute and we got all of 5 seconds of it memorialized on the telecast.

I would look at the video first, but here are some TSG comments on it:

• Some very candid shots of Jozy Altidore clearly externally exhibiting his inner monologue going on about CD9.

• Some great camera work on the focused expression of Stu Holden in the locker room and during the line-up picture

• An absolutely splendid job in capturing the feeling, especially with audio, of the CD9 salute. Bravo.

• Again great work in showing Landon Donovan’s patience under fire in the box to trap the ball and create a shot rather than just throw it back on frame.

• Perhaps in the best, though heartbreaking, image of all: Oguchi Onyewu’s look of shear anguish as he goes down in the box. In one moment, you saw his pain and then his immediate realization of what it meant for his season and his challenges in making it back for World Cup 2010.

• And to balance that last image out, Jozy Altidore egging on the crowd after the final goal by Jonathan Bornstein, lifting his jersey and screaming in jubilation, “That’s my boy” while chest thumping his “Davies 9″ undershirt. Cherishable.

TSG is going to send a note to USSF today commending them on the piece. If you add comments below, we’ll send these along as well.

In other USMNT news:

gale

Portugal-bound?

• U-20 defender Gale Agbossoumonde who hails from Syracuse, NY (Cuse!) is rumored headed to Portugese top league side Sporting Braga. Here’s hoping that deal gets done (as Agbossoumonde is a little in limbo at a USL player) and Braga gets to suit up for the first team Arsenalists (another great nickname) shortly. Gale will find himself going up against a host of Brazilian defenders for minutes (nearly the entire defense for Braga is Brazilian born) and on the same pitch as Manchester United prospect Rodrigo Possebon, on loan from the home squad.

• And, we almost goofed, our Eric Lichaj Report: The young defender was unfortunately issued a 3-game ban for his red card last week in Lincoln City’s 3-1 loss to Morecambe. There’s a bright side here though, Lichaj will go back to Villa to train during his ban. Read these sterling comments on Lichaj from his Lincoln City manager Chris Sutton.

• And a piece of housekeeping for reader Antonio. I finally got a chance to watch the Italy-USA U-17 match. Yes, I know the US lost, but when was the last time you saw the U.S. play a truly even game with runs up and down the pitch. Still greatly impressed with Cabrera. I liked that he brought the backline up a little more in this game, in effect saying to Italy, “We respect your possession and we want to clutter in the midfield so we’ll take our chances with you playing it over the top.” Absolutely loved the almost reckless abandon the US attacked at the end. Tough loss, but well-played.

1. I’m starting to get the itch for some national team footie too. Now that we’ve qualified and withour current injury woes, and the MLS playoffs ongoing, it’ll be extremely interesting to see who gets called into camp and what the lineups and tactics are. I also can’t wait for the World Cup Draw in December to find out who we’ll be grouped with, and also Nike unveiling the new US kit to be worn in South Africa.

• Posted by Dylan on 2009/11/07 at 9:09 AM

No Doubt, the draw should be fun. Our group: England, United States, Ireland, Bahrain.

• At least we’d get to see how we really stack up against the Irish, if that were to happen. Given our FIFA ranking and the fact that Ireland is hit or miss, I would like our chances of advancing out of that group. If the FIFA committee performing the draw has any say in how it lays out, Bahrain/NZ will be in the same group as South Africa so that the hosts have a better shot at progressing. Speaking of, when was the last time a host nation didn’t make it out of the first round?

• Scratch that question; a host nation has never failed to get out of the group stages. Though, I would place some money on it happening next year. South Africa showed some fortitude in the Confederations Cup, but they were gifted passage to the second round with the group that they ended up in.

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/11/07 at 7:13 PM

lol I could see something like Spain (completely randomly), Japan, and maybe get Argentina thrown out there cuz “they had trouble qualifying” I have a friend who thinks Spain is gonna win it all, and I told him they’ll get no where when matched up against the sons of liberty. (lol what ever happened to the nicknames)

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/11/07 at 7:34 PM

Can’t wait to see the new kits. My soccer gears are turning right now and I’m going crazy. MLS Playoffs and a ton of international stuff going on. New kits are always exciting, and the Draw is… do I have to say it? exciting holiday season for soccer fans in the US isn’t it?

• It is getting to be a little too much to handle; I’m wondering what NIke and Adidas will come up with this time around. So far, Adidas has released Argentina and France and possibly Germany. Argentina is unfortunately weak-sauce but I think that’s mostly due to Argentina’s iconic kit. France looked like a modern version of the 98 shirt which is cool, enough. Nike’s 2006 offerings were definitely better due to their uniqueness for most of the nations, so it’ll be interesting to see what they do this time around.

Anyone know where I can get a Medium or Large 2007/09 US shirt.

2. Posted by kaya on 2009/11/07 at 1:32 PM

I loved the video. Usually, ussoccer.com is about the last place I’d look for information re: the USMNT, so thanks for pointing this out.

3. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/11/07 at 1:44 PM

Matt i agree. Can’t remember the last time i saw a US squad playing to win every second of the game. Cabrera for president. And on top of that(although i think you alluded to this earlier) the U-17’ers didnt have Charlie Renken or Joseph Gyau, two attackers who would have definitely upped the tally in the GF column

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/08 at 12:11 AM

Agreed Antonio.

Let’s put this differently.

If you had to choose one US team men’s team (nat sqaud, u-23, u-20, u-17) to earn the most points in a three game series on neutral ground against the following opponents: Spain, Italy, Honduras then I think you’re probably betting on U-17, slightly edging out the natties.

• After watching the U-17’s play I think Cabrera has done an awesome job, so much so that you could almost mistake them for someone other that a US team. One of the big pluses that I noted was the way we played the ball out of the back to someone (or someone got to where the ball was going) which is in stark contrast to how our older teams play.

After ruminating on this for a little while though I began to wonder whether that specific teamwork and some of Cabrera’s success could be attributed to the fact that he’s worked with these kids for two straight years, day-in and day-out. I’m not trying to blaspheme Cabrera’s success, just wondering whether he would have similar success with the senior side.

I do love the fact that finally a US team went out and attempted to win the game by controlling possession from the very beginning and attacked, attacked, attacked.

4. Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/09 at 7:44 AM

I read that the new USMNT kit (to be worn in South Africa) will include an all red kit. The white kit will be pretty plain with a faint silver digaonal stripe across the front. The Navy kit will include a white diagonal stipe and the red kit with a navy diagonal stripe. Not 100% sure if this correct and I have not seen a picture. Just read this somewhere. It would be great to have red kit for 2010. That would be the kit I would buy.

• Interesting, where’d you read that? The diagonal stripes can be cool, but will it be retro looking diagonal stripe, or will it be something a little more modern?

If the red kit rumors are true, it would be the first time we’ve worn a red kit (for more than a game or two) since the 1998 WC debacle. I thought I read somewhere a few years back that the USSF didn’t want a red shirt due to the shit performance back in France 1998.

5. Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/09 at 8:19 AM

Not sure about the exact look as I have not seen a picture. Just read rumors on Bigsoccer.com

6. Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/09 at 8:24 AM

I read the USSF did not want the red shirt as a home jersey in CONCACAF because T&T, Costa Rica, and maybe one other has red home shirts.