Do You Want Kljestan Representing?

Okay, we need your participation.

kljestan

Kljestan: USMNTer? Yes or No?

A lot of banter after last night’s Galaxy game regarding Sacha Kljestan’s expletive-laced tirade at officials. Most of the conversation–both on TSG and from, like we mentioned earlier, Taylor Twellman–is gyrating towards the notion that Kljestan should have gotten a straight red card,  Twellman was all over the behavior of players last night on Twitter and is still at it today. Note, we are inferring that Twellman’s tweeterings are inclusive and perhaps specific to Kljestan because of their timing.

Couple Kjestan’s piece of minded-ness last evening with his national team call-up today, throw in his inconsistent place, his brooding in the earlier part of the year when he didn’t get a transfer, and many fans feel the Chivas star’s trip to Bratislava is underserved. Or do they?

The main issue to remind being his temperament, not play, on the pitch.

So we ask the following question specifically in response to Kljestan’s referee abuse–yes TSG believes it’s abuse–last evening:

1. Posted by MrTuktoyaktuk on 2009/11/09 at 11:54 AM

As the post states, there may be some performance related reasons to drop him, but getting mad at MLS refs, definitely not on the list. Anyway, I’m more interested in the handbags that occured after the final whistle.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/09 at 12:00 PM

I don’t condone that behavior nor do I want it representing the USMNT, but I agree…maybe not, at this point a sufficient reason to pass on his candidacy.

Let’s take this another way though….does that type of behavior speak volumes of his maturity as a player. I most certainly think it does.

2. Posted by Mrizza on 2009/11/09 at 12:00 PM

Who cares about what he says to a Ref? I don’t care at all. It is passion. Jermaine Jones is known to be dirty on the field and a jerk off the field but people can’t wait for him to get fit to get on the field. As long as you don’t put your team to 10 men talking to the ref is not a big issue. everyone talks

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/09 at 12:01 PM

Fair response as well.

As a USMNT fan, I care personally (not enough to keep him off the pitch), but I also care if a ref…like what nearly happened to Ballack in the Chelsea game Sunday gives him a yellow or a red.

• Posted by Matthew N on 2009/11/09 at 12:05 PM

“Its passion” is not an excuse. Like I said in the other thread, if I were the ref, I would have given him a straight red and sent his little punk ass off. I don’t understand why these officials let these guys do stuff like that. The refs that work the international matches won’t stand for that kind of behavior, so I guess as long as he keeps that kind of behavior in the MLS (where it is ok to say ‘fuck’ multiple times while addressing the official) he will be okay. His tirade just shows how immature and mentally weak he is. You could tell when that little temper tantrum went off that there was no way Chivas was going to get back in it. I don’t want my star player crying like a baby with 5 minutes left in the game. I want him putting the ball in the back of the net. My guess is that this is why Kljestan is still playing in the MLS and is rarely called up to the national team.

3. Posted by Dylan on 2009/11/09 at 12:36 PM

My feeling is that his behavior defintatley uncalled for and most surely ill-timed. He did get red carded in SA earlier this year, something that cannot happen next summer. That said his behavior is not what makes me dislike him for the team. I don’t think he possess the skills. He has a decent shot from range which is fun to have, but we don’t need it. He makes poor decisions and does not have great possession or ball skills that we lack in the midfield. Our problem is not that we lack someone to score goals from the midfield, we have that, Our problem is that our midfield play is sometimes sloppy. Sacha does not have the decsision making play that we lack. For now I’ll stick with what we got, Torres, Feilhaber, Bradley, and to be honest I’d rather bring Beasley or Adu in over him. They offer more upside for us.

4. Posted by Andy on 2009/11/09 at 12:38 PM

We really don’t need anymore inconsistency/moodyness/Deuceyness than we already have on the USMNT if it can be avoided, whether we’re talking in terms of performance or behavior. In Kljestan’s case, we’re talking about both.

I’ve seen enough.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/09 at 12:44 PM

Great comment — and I asking politely if I can borrow the phrase “Deuceyness” — I’ll credit you. Too funny.

• Deucyness, is that in reference to Dempsey or an overall shitiness that sometimes eminates from the team?

I agree that Kljestan appears to be surplus to requirements currently, especially when Edu gets healthy and Jones if he ever gets called in (though his attitude might be worrisome as well). Kljestan needs to really step up his game to merit taking time from some of the incumbents, the only time I saw him do much with the ball against LA was when LA fell asleep on D and Sacha had room to do whatever he liked.

His tirade should not be tolerated, by the ref, by Preki, or by Bob. While I’m not against players having a go at the ref for a bad call, there’s a difference between expressing your opinion and pointing the ghetto finger at someone and giving them a tongue lashing that doesn’t express your opinion so much as puts down your target. As for Rooney effing and such at refs in the Prem, I don’t necessarily agree with his method either, but at least he’s got the goods to back it up. Score some more hat-tricks against Scandinavian B teams and we might let you get away with this, Kljestan. And shave that pathetic excuse for a ‘stache, you’re making the entire soccer community look like a bunch of whining emo-stoners.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/09 at 12:58 PM

TSG To Do list:

- Add Deuceyness to “Nickname” section
        - Nominate Nick JC entry to HOF for, “….And shave that pathetic excuse for a ’stache, you’re making the entire soccer community look like a bunch of whining emo-stoners.”
        - Eat
        - Sleep
        - Buy Fifa ’10
        - Shave

5. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/09 at 12:42 PM

Having a little fun.

I’m going to put Kljestan in the following club: “tantalizing able, but rarely showcasing it”

Others in this category include:
    Freddy Adu, Eddie Johnson, Robbie Rogers (young and with a good chance to leave the club soon), Heath Pearce

Those who have recently departed this group include:
    Michael Bradley, Jonathan Bornstein

6. Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/09 at 1:20 PM

Considering Preki’s reaction after the game I am guessing that he doesn’t run a disciplined ship.

Americans, unfortunately, aren’t above whining at / berating the refs. One outburst shouldn’t keep him off the squad, but (lack of) ability evident on the international stage should.

7. Posted by Matt Mathai on 2009/11/09 at 1:31 PM

Don’t know that I’d call it a ‘major’ factor, but losing your cool on the field is not really a positive factor when you’re being considered for inclusion in a World Cup squad. If it’s a tossup between him and another player and they’re about equal in what they bring to the table, I could see Bradley going with the more composed guy.

Sacha’s suffered a loss of form already – if he’s trying to make a comeback, I don’t think he needs to make Bradley wonder how he’d react if someone went all Materazzi on him.

8. Everyone knows that there’s seriously no way that Klejstan’s going to the World Cup, right? Right? He’s got to be about our 18th best central midfielder at this point.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/09 at 1:58 PM

Yes, we know.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/09 at 2:00 PM

@Mark, @Tuesday

You forgot the Bill Bradley discount factor.

Don’t look now, but I heard Jeff Parke’s in camp.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/09 at 2:08 PM

I firmly believe that Bradley’s love affair with Sascha is over. This is more like a booty call and I doubt Bradley will make him breakfast in the morning.

• We know, but I’m not sure Bobbo does. For the same reason that players love him as a coach, we as fans loathe him sometimes; he’ll stick with “his boys” through thick and thin, sometimes a little too long in DMB’s case.

9. Posted by Swa on 2009/11/09 at 2:00 PM

It’s clearly a moot point unless Sacha steps his play up a whole lot, as yes he is way down the depth chart, but we can’t have that on our squad. Stumbled upon this on youtube a few minutes ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7A2Y79geI so it’s clear that his temper is short and he loves to run his mouth. Add to that the 3 occasions on which US players received straight reds the last time they went to SA (Sacha being one of them) and you know FIFA refs will be looking to toss his ass at the first possible opportunity.

Think about how he would have been dealt with in other sports. Baseball: Tossed. Basketball: at least a T (rough equivalent to a yellow) and maybe even a straight rejection. Football: At the minimum 15 yards for unsportsmanlike and maybe worse. Most importantly, an ejection in soccer hurts the team far more than any other sport and thus he’s too much of a liability. Not to mention the Yanks (Rattlers, Liberty Boys, RoughRydazz…) are too good for that kind of behavior. That’s why we don’t dive.

10. Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/09 at 2:01 PM

Birmingham went on-top (2-1) during stoppage time of the first half on a brilliant strike…make sure you see the highlight

Gerrard on in the second half and knocks header off the post in the 64th minute.

Liverpool is playing the second half like it is stoppage time of the CL finals and they are down one goal…but can’t get the equalizer.

Birmingham is blocking shots like Kerri Walsh

Liverpool just drew a phantom PK. Nice run by the Liverpool player, but then he did his best Greg Louganis impression.

Gerrard puts it in, 2-2

Liverpool pressuring again. Wins three corners in a row. Birmingham out of immediate danger, but can’t clear.

Another injury for Liverpool…Benayoun goes down…looks like a hammy…Babel comes on.

Stat of the night: Liverpool 421 completed passes, Birmingham 92 completed passes

11. Posted by Justin on 2009/11/09 at 3:11 PM

If he had put half the effort into the game last night that he puts into tweeting about his imaginary “girlfriend” he claims is in some VIctorias Secret Angel contest … I might have noticed he was playing (I honestly didn’t notice him until about half way into the 1st half.)

Really, Wayne Ronnie gets in hot water on mouthing “12 men” to the camera and this loser out right sailor mouths the ref …

Sure I wanted Galaxy to win, but I didn’t have anything major against Shaz-ka but he consistently disappoints me not so much with his performance (because that’s a lot of pressure) it’s his attitude, and disrespect.

• Posted by Matthew N on 2009/11/09 at 5:58 PM

Yeah…. his tweets are ridiculous. I actually have become quite curious about this “girlfriend” he claims to have (though the way he tweets about it every 5 seconds, I’m thinking this may be the first one he’s ever had), and yeah… she might be in the Victoria’s Secret contest, but she has a butterface. Her body is okay, but nothing special. She has no chance in hell of ever making it, just like Sacha has no chance in hell with the way he has been playing lately.

12. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/11/09 at 10:56 PM

Might as well Call up Dilly Duka. Sheesh

13. [...] Summary: TSG is hoping to toss some questions over Klestan’s way at Jan camp (so yes TSG commentator Evan we will try and ask him about his locks and TSG will ask him about “the pitch behavior poll.”) [...]

14. [...] on TSG in regards to Kljestan’s enigmatic play and personality. There is, of course, the infamous poll and debates that went on after Kljestan lashed out at refs continually during his last MLS [...]

15. [...] with a dreadful performance against Costa Rica on the road at the Saprissa that truly marked the moment most big name US soccer outlets, and quite possibly his own coach, turned on him. The Confederations Cup was no better—out of form at club, Kljestan looked overwhelmed and worse, [...]