Birmingham went on-top (2-1) during stoppage time of the first half on a brilliant strike…make sure you see the highlight…and here it is:
(goal around the 2:00 mark)
(updates added at bottom)
- Gerrard on in the second half and knocks header off the post in the 64th minute.
- Liverpool is playing the second half like it is stoppage time of the CL finals and they are down one goal…but can’t get the equalizer.
- Birmingham is blocking shots like Kerri Walsh
- Liverpool just drew a phantom PK. Nice run by the Ngog, but then he did his best Greg Louganis impression…he might get a suspension for deceiving the referee
- Gerrard puts in the PK, 2-2
- Liverpool pressuring again. Wins three corners in a row. Birmingham out of immediate danger, but can’t clear.
- Another injury for Liverpool…Benayoun goes down…looks like a hammy…Babel comes on.
- Stat of the night: Liverpool 421 completed passes, Birmingham 92 completed passes
- Liverpool is having USMNTitis…aka trouble finishing…Gerrard, Ngog and Kuyt all can’t put it on frame from inside the area
- Entering the 87th minute still tied a 2 goals apiece. Gerrard wins a corner, serves it in, but Ngog header is off-the-mark
- Birmingham clearly would happy with a draw here…wasting time like it’s their job
- Babel just dribbled through half the Birmingham squad…Liverpool has corner in the 90th, but no one wants to take it…Mascherano finally runs over but his effort is easily cleared away
- Four minutes of stoppage time coming
- Liverpool not doing much with their chances in stoppage time. One-minute or so to go.
- Last chance for Liverpool…a Gerrard run goes by the wayside…and that’s the whistle.
- “Liverpool rescued by its crippled colossus”…according to the announcer.
This match will viewed as a -2 instead of a +1 for the Reds as they pick just 1 point with a 2-2 draw verus Birmingham City.