Fill Up The Cooler, Jones Watch Rolls On

TSG feels like we need to do something here. Jones has stubborn shin injury and after-all, we are The SHIN Guardian. Suggestions?

According to Soccerway.com (vai Match Fit) the Jermaine Jones Watch will stretch into 2010 with the Schalke 04 mid-fielder and USMNT tease being ruled out of Bundesliga play until after the turn of the calendar.

Schalke coach Felix Magath was reported as saying, “We’re half way through November and it doesn’t look like he will be able to return to the pitch in four weeks from now.”  (The Bundesliga season wraps up for the break in mid-December.)

For the last setback in early October TSG recommended grabbing a seat some pretzels and a case of Doppelbock. However, with Jones officially recognized as a US national by FIFA, we are going to suggest a good American beer. So, in the spirit of rest and relaxation TSG recommends Kona Brewing’s Longboard Lager, a Top 5 brew on the big board here at TSG.

(Just an FYI, I intentionally kept this post “light” as I don’t want to think about the increasing likelihood that Jones never plays a meaningful game for the USMNT, nor draw any parallels to the tight time line Gooch is facing to be fit for the World Cup.)

1. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/12 at 9:03 AM

I wouldn’t fret — being a veteran of multiple injuries/surgeries — skeletal is the most recoverable.

If it were joint-based or muscular (tendons, ligaments, etc) I would be more worried.

Look at the “major” players who have been out for awhile and what their injuries are:

Hargreaves (who last played during the Carter administration) – knee tendonitis
    Rosicky – hamstring
    Zhirkov – knee

Plus, Schalke’s got some decent depth at the mid-position as well.
    So again I wouldn’t read into.

My takeaway: I’m more worried about Gooch than Jones being healthy.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/12 at 10:44 AM

Completely agree on Gooch, anything that Jones, Edu or Castillo provide going forward is all gravy as I have zero expectations they will make a meaningful contribution to the the US squad in 2010.

2. Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/12 at 9:31 AM

Word on the street is that the US will be wearing their new 2010 away kit in one or both of the upcoming friendlies. I am kind of excited to see them, and I am hoping it will be a kit that we can call our own for the 50 years or so. I think this would make a great piece for TSG. It would be nice to have a kit that we can all relate to year after year (with some minor tweaks here and there). After all, our jersey is our identity. The new Mexico kits http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/11/10/mexico.unis/index.html
    They would look better with red socks. Whoever put them on stage with white socks was a moron

• Up close the Mexico kit looks like something designed for the German Gay Pride parade. The shiny fabric with the odd shoulder “patch” thing going on for some reason reminds me of an old SS uniform.

But it is still the basic, iconic, green top that Mexico usually trots out. I was actually a huge fan of the Mexico kit that Nike produced for the 2006 World Cup with the Aztec calendar face sublimated into the White chevron, iconic yet forward thinking. It’s tough to see in this picture, but it’s there. http://www.soccershopusa.com/Images_Products/Nike_MexicoHomeJersey_2006-2007_103883-302_1.jpg

• Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/12 at 11:29 AM

I agree. The Mex 2006 ones were sharp. The new ones… not so much. I thought Nike might produce something similar for the US. Take a look at this concept: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36365080@N06/3355037398/in/photostream/

• Nice, except I’m not a fan of the Black away color scheme. Make it Navy Blue, and throw in a White one for funsies and we could start building towards something that will be close to everlasting. I especially like the DTOM logo in the red kit, very nice.

• Posted by kaya on 2009/11/12 at 3:59 PM

2006 Mexico jerseys? My favorite were the 1998 version with the azteca calendar more obvious.

• It wasn’t so much “more obvious” as it was hitting you over the head with it, over and over and over again. It was so blatant that I briefly consider using the Aztec calendar instead of the lunar one every time I see those shirts.

• Posted by kaya on 2009/11/12 at 6:48 PM

I really like green, and I really like the aesthetic of the aztec calendar.. The 98 version still one of my favorite jerseys ever and I never felt the need to depart from my good ole gregorian. Alas, I couldn’t wear a jicano jersey.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/12 at 10:40 AM

I saw the new Mex kits on FSC the other night and immediately thought — aren’t these the old Mex kits. Go crazy Mex, you were on the edge of not qualifying at one point….(though I’m sure the jerseys were designed long before then.)

• The do look strangely like the 1980 something jerseys our jayvee team used to be forced to wear back when I was a freshman in the mid nineties.

3. I can’t wait to see the new US kits either; my wife gives me a hard time about it, but it’s one of those things I’m really nerdy about.

As for Jones, he’d be a great addition to the player pool, but I won’t count the chickens until he’s in the lineup for a game.

• Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/12 at 12:01 PM

The DTOM kit was BAD ASS! Just about everyone I have heard from loves those jerseys. They bring history & luck (back to the 1950 WC with the sash), style (normally sell on EBAY for hundreds of $), and identity (very few countries sport the sash). Lose the collar on the DTOM kit and we’ve got a keeper.

4. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/12 at 12:10 PM

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa — Kona — top 5 beer at TSG — I think we’re going to need to debate this.
    Kona is good, but top 5 — that’s a little strong.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/12 at 12:16 PM

You’re lucky I didn’t say Top 3. Longboard Lager is pure liquid goodness.

There. I said it.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/12 at 12:22 PM

This will definitely be both a column and a debate. Mind you, I’m not saying it’s not good, but you have Scrimshaw (probably the best Pilsner going right now), Saisson Dupont (probably the best mass-produced Saison out there), Delirium Tremens, Beamish (treading water but still there) and Newcastle ….and I’m not seeing Kona in that picture just yet.

I like and know many people that like it, but it’s just not there yet.

• Scrimshaw reminds me of my bachelor party. Good times.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/12 at 12:42 PM

As a veteran of 2 Great American Beer Festivals (2,500 beers under one roof) as well as many local beer festivals along with pilgrimages to St. James Gate, New Belgium and host of micro-brewers around the country, I know my beer just bit better than you.

Maui Coconut Porter
          New Belgium Two Below
          Mac ‘N Jacks African Amber
          Kona Long Board Lager
          Guinness 250 Anniversary Stout…I was deeply hurt when you celebrated Beamish as “the TSG Irish stout of choice” last week. I’d even put Murphy’s at #2

Missed the cut:
          Lefthand SmokeJumper
          Anchor Steam
          Stone Brewing Arrogant Bastard (Oaked)

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/12 at 12:52 PM

Wow — you got personal. So let me get this straight. Your experience is that you got drunk at Great American Beer Festivals and texted me things like, “What about Landon at leftback?” If you’re using counts of Beer Festivals, I have been each year since 2000 to the SF International Beer Fest at Fort Mason…so oops…just dwarfed your drunken escapades.

Anyone who puts coconut, blueberry, peach or anything else in a beer I can’t treat seriously. And really you’re going to count a brewer (Maui) that started in 2005 and Kona (1995) as the origins of two of your top beers, really? Hawaii, certainly a deep history steeped….in beer?

Guinness….I’ll put up there. Have you been to all three breweries to learn the history and sample them in their local context? Ooops…no…

Pipe down youngster, Landon is not playing left back and wow I’m really glad I didn’t celebrate the USMNT WC Honduras qualifier with a, gulp…or actually without a gulp of Maui Coconut. No, I had a Scrimshaw (I hear you Nick!) in my hand…and then some white russians, but that’s neither here nor there.

I’m going to get the Small Bar and Coyles’ guys to weigh in here.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/12 at 1:06 PM

White Russians…did you wear a bathrobe too?

The USMNT – Honduras clincher was washed down with a nice pitcher of Alaskan Smoke Porter if I remember correctly.

How long to you start comparing the variable densities of the different types of Chimay that your routinely sip at a WINE BAR?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/12 at 1:14 PM

Good point — let’s take these comments to a post….coming shortly TSG Readers. “Steel Cage Match: TSG Beers…Whither Coconut?”

• Posted by Berg on 2009/11/13 at 10:43 AM

Points for the Lebowksi reference. And if anyone ever stumbles into Madison I might suggest Capital Brewing or New Glarus Brewing.

• John Smith’s Extra Smooth is quite nice (had it while in London). Though I can’t get it over here in the States.

• Posted by kaya on 2009/11/12 at 1:01 PM

Anchor Porter FTW!

5. Posted by kaya on 2009/11/12 at 4:00 PM

I think Mark should just give up beer and go for pina coladas and other drinks bearing paper umbrellas. Admit it, that’s really what you want. =)

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/12 at 4:07 PM

Don’t drink hard alcohol.

I generally despise fruity and spiced brews, but the Maui Coconut Porter is the exception.

Beer Advocate rates it an A –

We are not talking about beers you can pound here, this one is a can or max two at a time.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/12 at 4:27 PM

I had my first pina colada last year at a wedding in Mexico and my girlfriend had to take them and the rum runners away from me. I was drinking them for breakfast.

Beer advocate also game your 250th anniver. Guinness a B- and Beamish a B+

Recognize! :>

6. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/13 at 10:53 AM

I’ve had the Spotted Cow — not at all bad. Friend’s folks are from up there.

Just bought a bathrobe the other day. I’m set. Donning shades as we speak,.,,

We’re beginning to work on a TSG beer piece.