Matthew and I are going to being adding some commentary on the game this morning (instead of just insulting each other over Google chat as we are doing now).
(New updates on top)
- What time is it? Bornstein time!!!…let see some energy here in the last two minutes.
- More chances down the stretch, more balls into the hands of the Slovak keeper who is playing a strong game.
- Bradley clearing the bench with Kljestan and Cunningham coming in for Rogers and Altidore
- To quote Marv Albert…Feilhaber “serves up a facial” to Martin Skrtel on a wicked rip from 25-yards (“YES!!!”)
- First cap for Dax McCarty who comes in for Dempsey. Goodson on for Boca.
- US building some offensive tempo again….I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the one person who reached our publication this morning by searching for “vertically challenged stars”
- JB said to foul the offender on the counter; no call and the 1 vocal fan for Slovakia objected.
- Sestak for Stoch: Sestak has some speed. Let’s see how our 60-mins-in d performs.
- US losing possession a bit; a little flat to start the half. Battle going on with EJ and Altidore and ‘vakia’s central backs — get more aggressive US.
- Is that one, single guy on the vuvuzela making all that noise? I think that is one lone horn….nope two — but certainly no more.
- FSC announces are good, not great — but a welcome departure from ESPN announcers who seem to think that our injured CB is named Onyewu Oguchi….WHO?!
- Rogers having a solid game without youngster mistakes. He’s looked good being drawn in and linking with the midfield. Reminds me a bit of the second game against Honduras in the Gold Cup.
- EJ on for Casey — it’s your time big guy.
Half Time Comments Brought to You Courtesy of Guinness and John McCann Steel Cut Oatmeal
♦ Jonathan Bornstein not having the stongest game at left back, but let’s look at the positive as both he and Cherundolo are getting up the pitch wide.
♦ Benny and Junior starting to play better in the center of the pitch. If Mike Bradley’s first touch was stronger, he could switch fields faster instead his unsteadiness is forcing him to play the ball back rather than across too much.
Loved how Benny called for the ball at the 41st minute after he got fouled and then drove up the middle of the pitch. Need to see more aggressive play from my BF in the 2nd.
♦ US is playing conservative, better offensively — that’s a positive too
♦ Observation in the back: Spector-Cherundolo communication much better than Gooch-Spector communication. Did Coach USA see that too?
♦ Dempsey has had a few bouts of bad body language, but looks otherwise enthused. An absolutely perfect free kick take that nearly found the netting. C’mon Demps
♦ Two words not to use yet in the Altidore-Dempsey interplay up top: “Natural chemistry”
♦ I would expect at least one sub out of halftime for the Bobster.
- Altidore not doing much, but not getting much either
- Benny! with a fallaway three from outside the box — a little more time on the ball and I think–hope–we see a better shot there.
The Guz’s beard makes him look like a Keebler elf….I don’t think that’s the right statement for US goalkeeping Brad.
- Hey JB, that’s not Edson Buddle out there….funnel middle, funnel middle.
- Want to know why West Brom got relegated last year….look no further than SLO’s Marek Cech’s cross to absolutely no one…huh?
- Hamsik with an easy jog and shot in the right corner. Agree with the FSC announcers, “The mistake by Bornstein a costly one.”
- Bornstein should have used his speed to cut the angle and give up the wide angle shot as oppose to go body and hands; let’s see how JB plays…I’ll give him that one because he’s been maturing…but not pretty.
- Homefield PK call, but Bornstein needs to be more discreet with the arms.
- Dempsey being assertive; I like what we’re seeing out of him. But that ball to far ahead of Altidore, but encouraging signs from the Texan in the early going.
- And I just jinxed him; careless giveaway in the attacking 1/3.
- Just remembered that Spector’s aerial defense is suspect…more chances to be exposed there with him playing in central defense
- Good match-up for BB to evaluate CC: Skrtel is strong, let’s see what Casey can do. Nice job on the body there.
- Casey is like my friend from college we nicknamed “White Lightening”…it takes a long time for him to get to top speed (which isn’t all that fast)
- Altidore continually urging the front six to get up the pitch and forecheck. Love seeing that; assertive (Matt).
- Altidore playing in Davies role over the left half as he did to start at RFK. Let’s see what Rogers does on the right. Interesting on Rogers with about the only truly strong left foot on the pitch beyond Bornstein.
- Spector with a nice calm first touch in the center….I’m hyper focused on Spector in his trial role (Matt)
- Just like you we are wondering why Marshall is getting the nod in the back four…must not be fit (Mark)
- (Matt) – Very interesting: What does it say about the RB?
- Bratislava looks as dreary as Syracuse, where I went to college. I thought that was a dormitory behind the field. When they played the national athem of Slovakia, I got really scared…not sure why. (Matt)
- There is a car behind the Slovakia goal…I don’t know why…with the amount of people in the stand perhaps they let people park inside the stadium. (Mark)
- Nice to hear the US chants (Mark)