Orange Wedges: Who’s House?…Aarhus!

Orange Wedges is TSG’s game day post that kicks-off within 24-hours of game time
and is updated until kick-off.

The game may be meaningless, but TSG really wants one of these to end the year.

The USMNT takes on Denmark today in its 24th and final match of 2009. Kick-off is scheduled for 2:30pm EST / 11:30am PST.

For those not in the City of Smiles, television coverage begins at 2:25 EST / 11:25 PST on ESPNClassic. Upon the conclusion of the 2nd leg of the Ukraine / Greece WCQ which is being shown on ESPN2, the USMNT match will be simulcast on both ESPNClassic and ESPN2.

The match can also be viewed on what has become the best part of ESPN online empire, ESPN360.

(Aside: The USMNT is on two channels for a November friendly versus Denmark, but couldn’t even get one channel for its World Cup clinching match versus Honduras…that makes sense.)

• Well, no Sacha Kljestan in the eighteen, so that solves that issue. In more significant news, no Conor Casey either. TSG will post the starting XI when it is released about an hour before kick-off.
  • With the two new midfielders called in you have to wonder whether Bradley was guarding against a potentially nervous Mr. Victoria’s Secret as the Final 2 will be announced in his girlfriend’s “competition” today. (Please note sarcasm.)
  • Looks like the US will close out the 2009 campaign in cold, windy and potentially rainy Aarhus.
  • After Steve Cherundolo lost a disputed team shooting competition to Jozy Altidore prior to the Slovakia friendly, word out of US Soccer is that Carlos Bocanegra prevailed in today’s finishing competition. Have US Soccer and TSG been searching in the wrong place for the stand-in for CD9?
  • The game will take place at NRGi Park in Aarhus, the home stadium for Danish Superliga team AGF Aarhus and UMSNT’s own Benny Feilhaber

1. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/11/17 at 6:33 PM

You think the USMNT match not being broadcasted had a lot to do with the time? I mean, primetime on ESPN is from 4pm to 10pm pct, and the game started at 5pm pct, right? And in this case, it’s on at 11:30 am pct. I mean, we all know noone watches ESPN at noon

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/17 at 6:57 PM

The timing definitely has a lot to do with it.

I am just still bitter about the Honduras situation due to the fact that so many fans were shut out. I’ll get over it one of these days.

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/17 at 6:35 PM

It’s a good question Antonio. Got further scheduling questions for ESPN hold onto them for just a few days — we’ve got an announcement coming.

3. “After Frankie Hedjuk lost a disputed team shooting competition to Jozy Altidore prior to the Slovakia friendly”

Cherundolo, actually. But a wing defender, nonetheless.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/17 at 8:16 PM

I could have sworn that Dolo skied his last shot at Jozy came away with the win, no?

4. He did. I was saying Dolo lost at the end to Jozy, not Frankie.

5. Either way Frankie Hejduk took 3rd place which means he’s the 3rd best player on the USMNT!! Right?

6. Alas, circumstances dictate that I will not be able to watch the game today, tonight, tomorrow and will have to wait fully until Friday to take in this crucial friendly. Unless it’s on ESPN 360 and I can get to work here in the office. I look forward to hearing everyone’s doom and gloom assessments. I would give up on seeing any goals from our side right now unless Klejstan starts, in which case I would simply give up all hope. I don’t care if we lose 1-0 again as long as we don’t concede based on a team defensive error, maintain half the possession and play well overall and our forwards do something with whatever service they get. May as well save those wins for the World Cup when we need them.

When I do finally get to watch the match I’ll be looking for how well the back four works together, where we lose possession and how we deal with it, how we defend counterattacks and whether we can keep penetrative possession through midfield instead of finding only sideways and backwards passing in the middle of the pitch. Hopefully we’ll get to see the wonderful Half-ztek jewel Castillo in his attacking pomp flying down the flank and delivering left footed crosses. I’m playing the match in my mind and its already better than the reality – maybe I should just leave it that way?

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/18 at 9:11 AM

Yes, your mental best-case-scenario is probably better than we’ll see, but the USMNT likes to surprise so I am still hopeful.

It is on ESPN360…just checked.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 9:22 AM

Hey Tuesday….let me know what beer you’re drinking…sounds perfect.

…and you’re dreading dangerously close to another visit to the Jimmy Conrad Wing:

“I would give up on seeing any goals from our side right now unless Klejstan starts, in which case I would simply give up all hope.”

But I would give us a shot with Casey (yes Casey) laying off to Stuie.

7. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 9:53 AM

Wow — treating it like a true friendly.

You were right Mark — without Kljestan it would be hard to see Benny! starting — but it is still his home field.

Also without Kljestan we don’t see a 4-5-1 I don’t believe….

8. Sarcasm noted, and appreciated.

9. Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/18 at 10:19 AM

FYI: More Beach Soccer going on over at ESPN360 right now. Brazil and Switzerland are tied at the end of the first. Switzerland attempted about 5 bicycle / flying scissor kicks in the last four minutes alone.

10. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 10:52 AM

Two other notes here: Hahneman is the back-up again. Lose the weight; gain the play (not sure if that is a saying).

And you’ve got Frankie Heduk and not Heath Pearce in there….not great for Pearce’s USMNT career.

11. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 10:53 AM

Also, had Denmark not had (like we mentioned in our preview piece) about 376 players injured for this game, you might have seen something else from Bob-0.