Starting XI: USMNT vs. Denmark

Ladies, Gentlemen and Other, please welcome your newish starting striker for the USMNT, Jeff Cunningham!

Pretty interesting line-up all-around with Hedjuk getting the nod, Spector staying central and Benny! presumably playing outside. The attack may not be better than Saturday, but it sure will be different.

Here’s the squad that will take the pitch shortly at NRGi:

GK: Guzan

DEF: Spector, Bornstein, Bocanegra, Hedjuk

MID: Clark, Bradley, Holden, Feilhaber!

ST: Cunningham, Altidore

BEN: Conrad, Goodson, Castillo, McCarty, Johnson, Hahnemann, Rogers

1. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 11:38 AM

Wow — not reading into Cunningham at all.

Frankie over Pearce. If a late 30 year-old takes your spot in the line-up in a friendly, you most likely are in serious trouble of playing again…Sorry Heath.

Specs staying in the middle tells us two things:
    - Specs is a serious contender in the middle
    - We have now begun auditions for the RB spot.

Feilhaber to play the left most likely–interesting….could CD be giving way to Benny!

Good stuff.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/11/18 at 11:39 AM

Spector staying in the middle tells me US Soccer is concerned about Gooch returning to fitness in time for the WC.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, but if that was the only issue I think you’d be okay playing Conrad or Goodson because Marshall will be back.

Unless Marshall is not at the level yet for Bob B.

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 12:53 PM

Please someone teach Frankie on the headers!

3. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 1:02 PM

Good score for Cunningham.

we’ll just throw that out there.

TSG needs to announce these gams.

Cunningham getting service in Dallas and no mention of Dax?

Cunningham did a bad job on the first shot on goal — really it was great he just got there.

Welcome to the last game of world cup qualifying…thanks Harkesy

4. Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/18 at 1:47 PM

Sounds like this Reiks guys is killing us. Will someone please mark this guy!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 2:10 PM

Frankie Excitement has made a very exciting game today….for the Denmark fans.

• Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/18 at 2:20 PM

Sarcasm noted. I take it he will not win man of the match. Do you think his time with the USMNT is about up?

5. Posted by shane on 2009/11/18 at 2:26 PM

Hard day to be a fan of US Soccer.. Where is the Depth!!
    We did nothing good today (period)
    Cunningham’s goal was off a mistake and JC’s Individual effort…
    yes yes I know it was our B/C Team but even then we should be able to keep possesion and play decent soccer…

I’m trying to think of something good to say right now.. I just cant :(

6. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/18 at 2:27 PM

The funny thing is I think his time may be up today because he wasn’t disciplined at all and didn’t play well, not because he couldn’t do it anymore physically.

But remember — it’s only one game.

One other note, Frankie gets beat on a lot of headers — we know BB does not like that..

• Posted by Berg on 2009/11/18 at 3:02 PM

What a miserable second half. The US looked very disjointed and Denmark was allowed to just dominate the pace of match. Feilhaber is the only person I can put in the “performed well” category with any sort of certainty. Frankie shoveled the last bits of dirt on his national team grave today. Bah, that wasn’t the note I was hoping they’d break camp on.

7. Posted by kaya on 2009/11/18 at 2:59 PM

I mostly have been watching the FR/IR game knowing I could watch the DN/US later… but I don’t think I can bear it now. The bit I watched during the halftime looked like a bad high school game.

• Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/19 at 7:41 AM

Henry and France caught a lucky break with the noncall on the double handball.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/11/19 at 8:50 AM

Absolutely the worst non-call in the history of the game.

No qualms about saying that.

• Posted by Timmy on 2009/11/19 at 1:14 PM

I hear some English fans in the back ground saying the “Hand of God” (’86 WC) was worse. I think they were equally as bad.

8. Posted by Kevin on 2009/11/18 at 3:05 PM

well if there’s anything I saw in the last 15 minutes, it certainly wasn’t pretty. the only thing I want to point out is that while watching Clark he seemed like he had more heart with the nats than he normally does. Most of the time when I watch him (with the nat team) he seems like a robot that does his duties, but doesn’t seem to have any energy, which clearly isn’t the case when he plays for club. that was a positive. I also saw a better Rogers than I’m used to seeing. When Rogers got the ball he always had something interesting to do, but he failed with consistency in those last 15 minutes. On a negative note EJ clearly didn’t care about anything he was doing. He stopped his runs and just threw himself in front of defenders (ocasionally), but most of the time he just jogged and watched. I missed getting to see Holden though, and thats one of the things I look forwar to every match.

If there is any plus that I can think of it really has to do with the future of the squad and the 2014 WC. I don’t anticipate Donovan playing in the 2014 WC, but if you think about it you could probably get (if you use vets) Holden, Rogers, Edu, and Torres/Castillo in the midfield which seems promising enough to me. With Findley and Davies and Altidore still young too, essentially you could still use all three in 2014. Then all thats left is the backline Where you might have say… Marshall, Cameron (I thought I would throw him out there since he’s young as well) with the outside backs probably yet to be found. All in all a promising possible squad for 2014 which I think could get the job done, but interestingly enough I get to the same issue we see with today’s squad… who plays as our wingbacks?

• Posted by John on 2009/11/18 at 3:37 PM

It speaks to the poor quality of the last two games that we are looking forward to 2014.
      But on that note , both our top outside backs – Spector and Bornstein – are still young. As is Mr. Castillo (if he becomes a back instead of a midfielder).

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/11/19 at 8:51 PM

well I’m not looking forward to 2014 instead of 2010, but I wanted to point out that we should have a strong squad for 2014. All those people are just the ones who are already discovered, and only time will tell who else we can get in our squad. The best example I can think of is Davies.