Could The USMNT Injury Tide Be Turning?

A mere two weeks ago following news of a severe knee injury to striker Kenny Cooper, TSG started to wonder if Bob Bradley had opened an umbrella inside while walking under a ladder holding a black cat.

Cooper seemed to be another in a long line of Fall ’09 injuries for U.S. Soccer that included Jay Demerit (eye), Chad Marshall (knee), Charlie Davies (multiple), Clint Dempsey (shoulder), Tim Howard (foot), and Oguchi Onyewu (knee).

With rumors of a shredded ACL circulating the media, word came that Cooper only suffered a sprain and would be out for only three weeks. This led Matthew to update TSG’s Kenny Cooper injury piece with the following:

Our luck is turning! Coops out only 3 weeks. Can you feel it turning?

Well, Matthew must feel luck turning a bit faster than the average guy as USMNT fans have been treated to some great news on the injury front the past two days.

Jay Demerit is looking to return to the pitch soon.

First, Jeremy Schaap reported that Charlie Davies is “recovering quickly” and expects to play this summer. Regardless of where you pin the odds of CD9 suiting up in South Africa or how effective he could be, this is great news.

Then today, BBC Sport is reporting Jay Demerit, “looks on course to make a quicker than expected return following eye surgery.” The USMNT and Watford defender has been sidelined since late September after a scratching his cornea.

That’s three pieces of good news in the last two weeks on the injury front for the USMNT.

Who’s next?

(Mo Edu…I’m looking at you!)

________________________

UPDATE: Commenter Brad alerted TSG to the fact that Maurice Edu resumed training with Rangers. Mo’s tweet from Friday:

Now, who’s next? Jermaine Jones? (yes, please.)

1. Don’t forget a Jermaine Jones might be on the mend too for some spring friendlies. If that was the case our luck would really be on up. Can we bank of little of this run of good luck for the draw on Friday?

2. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/11/30 at 8:16 PM

I saw the whole interview with CD9 on ESPN. Amazing to hear his voice and see his face again. And he’s really optimistic, along with his doctors, about returning for June

3. Posted by Matt B on 2009/11/30 at 9:16 PM

I love that the headline on the Demerit BBC article is “Demerit eyeing quicker comeback”

4. Posted by michaelneis on 2009/11/30 at 10:12 PM

Can’t wait until Demerit gets back into action…his absence hasn’t been talked about as much as the higher profile guys – but I still believe he could be a starting CB in June. There are so many variables (Gooch ACL, if Spector gets another look in middle), but right now I have it as a dead heat between Jay and Chad Marshall to man the middle with Carlos

• I agree that Demerit’s return will be a bigger plus for the USMNT, currently, as I’m still planning on a Goochless WC Squad (don’t want to get my hopes up). Demerit showed in the Confed Cup that he’s fully capable of hanging with the big guys and compliments our other backliners nicely. His return will also give Bob license to tinker around to find the best pairing, instead of just plugging in pieces and hoping that they’re ready for the top level.

5. Posted by Brad on 2009/11/30 at 11:07 PM

Mo Edu is back in training with Rangers…that can only be good news

6. Posted by kaya on 2009/12/01 at 12:17 AM

I totally feel the tide turning, but I have to take some credit since I’ve been administering acupuncture daily to my Charlie Davies voodoo doll. I’ve also created templates for most of the USMNT to lay over my Operation game.

7. great news! lets hope it stays in this direction, will now search for an update on Guch

8. Posted by Timmy on 2009/12/01 at 7:49 AM

Excellent news! It gets the adrenaline going for the upcoming draw on Friday. BTW, did you see the broadcast of the draw is slotted for 3 hours on Friday.

9. Posted by Dylan on 2009/12/01 at 11:08 AM

There is a mock draw on You tube for the upcoming world cup that is pretty interesting to watch.

10. Posted by c2 on 2009/12/01 at 2:58 PM

demerit is going to be a starter in SA. He was clutch in CC

11. Posted by Kevin on 2009/12/02 at 5:53 AM

I want to hear a little more about JJ, but until I see him play with the squad I don’t consider him of upmost importance.

12. [...] positive injury news from Cooper, Davies, Demerit, Edu and now Jones in just the last few weeks. If only Gooch was as [...]