WC Draw – Live Blog from Danny Coyles

10:40 - Well a great morning to be sure. Good draw for both the US and England and they’re in the same group, Bloody Marys, and incredible bar and venue, THANK YOU Danny Coyles, Charlize Theron and AND AND i just won a Darren Huckerby Bobblehead courtesy of the San Jose EarthQuakes raffle…life is good

10:30 – well that was relatively painless…maybe its the Bloody Mary’s…Recap coming soon but Pool G looks like this years Group of Death…Would love to hear Kim Jon Ils take on all this

10:30 – POT 3 – Pool A – SA,  Mexico, Uruguay, France (wow they cheat and they have an easy group…Platini asking for favors)  Pool B – Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Greece  Pool C – England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia (chants of USA USA USA)  Pool D – Germany, Australia, Ghana, Serbia Pool E – The Dutch, Japan, Cameroon, Denmark Pool F – Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay, Slovakia Pool G -Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portugal Pool H – Spain, Honduras, Chile, Switzerland…

10:25 – Now everyone is hoping to avoid portugal and france

10:25 – POT 3 – Pool A – SA,  Mexico, Uruguay,  Pool B – Argentina, South Korea, Nigeria, Pool C – England, USA, Algeria  Pool D – Germany, Australia, Ghana Pool E – The Dutch, Japan, Cameroon, Pool F – Italy, New Zealand, Paraguay Pool G -Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Pool H – Spain, Honduras, Chile…

10:15 - POT 2 – Pool A - SA,  Mexico Pool B - Argentina, South Korea, Pool C – England, USA (IT’s RIGGED)  Pool D – Germany, Australia Pool E – The Dutch, Japan Pool F – Italy, New Zealand, Pool G -Brazil, North Korea, Pool H – Spain, Honduras…”Thats a good ball” echoed by Charlize Theron…excellent Theron, well done for you…STAY ON SCRIPT

10:00 -  So its as follows Pool A – SA, Pool B – Argentina, Pool C – England (Beckham looks like he has a pineapple on his head), Pool D – Germany, Pool E – The Dutch, Pool F – Italy, Pool G -Brazil, Pool H – Spain…well that was boring…hopefully more excitement in the next pulling out of balls

10:00 – One would have though that they could have explained this all to Charlize Theron before the live telecast…oh wait..she’s “acting”. World class athletes will be helping drawing the balls…up first Haile Gabrielsalassie (sp), John Smith, captain of the springboks…rugby (that was easy to spell), SA cricketer, and SA’s defender Booth who might be taller than Crouch and a stunning woman whose name i didn’t catch and Beckham.

9:55 – FIFA or someone have decided to do a little back and forth/repartee between Charlize and this guy whose name i forget in order to explain the goings on and make this more bearable…they’re failing…No Oscar for Theron for this performance….Shouts off “come on New Zealand” being shouted by the UK expats in the bar

9:50 - Live from South Africa now…and it looks like a musical on stage…drums, dancing and clapping…I guess FIFA need time to rig the draw…what predictions will we have? England and France in the same group? England and the US?…OH Theron is back and talking…In the audience, many men nod their heads in approval…AND WE’RE OFF…and some lucky bastard just kissed Charlize

9:48 - WOW…Theron is gorgeous…on an unrelated note…bloody mary number 2

9:41 – They’re live at Nevada Smiths in NY…damn it…why couldn’t we get cameras here…sigh. Nothing of any note happening…its like a Liverpool game

9:30 – Beckham has a new haircut…feeling effects of bloody mary

9:20 – The country profile as the “side bar” is very informative and a nice touch…ah..our first “interest” piece. Its official people, ESPN is taking an “olympics” attitude to the WC. They actually might make this draw watchable…at least until Seppo rears his ugly head.

Morgan Freeman, i mean Nelson Mandela is talking about the importance of South Africa and Africa hosting the WC. Its about time as far as i’m concerned. It might not have the swishyness of Germany 06 but they sure know how to party and i bet it will be a great time… Oh and Charlize Theron will be there.

9:10 - Salmon on bagels and bloody mary’s is a fantastic breakfast…how come its taken me almost 34 years to figure this out. TV is exclusively on ESPN2 and they’re doing a very good job of chatting amongst themselves, commentary and punditry. Flanked by my friend Nicky, the patrons of Danny Coyles are already making Theirry Henry “hand of frog” heckles and jokes.

9:00 – Bar is alternating between ESPN2 and sky sports coverage…very interesting take on both. ESPN2 are doing a decent job of explaining to the general public where as Sky are showing cricket…WOW…MACCA on ESPN2…he looks like he got his spray on tan applied properly

Hello all,

Am sitting here with Bloody Mary in hand in a lovely Irish bar in San Francisco getting ready to live blog what should be a 10 minute affair that will take 2 hours….SWEET. Rumor has there will be traditional dancing, speeches, explanations and the occasional drawing of balls from pots.

I apologize now but the bartender has already comped my first BM so by the time the actual action happens i might be hammered and or asleep on my keyboard. Actual very excited for this draw but typical of FIFA functions they will take all the fun and excitement out of it…here’s to me being wrong.

1. Posted by Thomas on 2009/12/04 at 10:33 AM

Did Jeremy Shapp (sp) just say there aren’t enough “Jets” fans at the Draw?

2. Posted by sfshwebb on 2009/12/04 at 10:36 AM

HAHA

3. Posted by Mike on 2009/12/04 at 10:37 AM

Hey,
    Thanks for providing play by play. Im sitting here at work ‘watching’ ESPN on the web, which is just the draw table doing …….nothing…….Their countdown clock got me excited though. Nature of the draw I guess. My employers are fairly restrictive with their web blocking shenanigan’s (<–thanks spell check), so I am lucky to get ya'lls website. FYI, it's snowing quite heavily here, Not that big of a deal, but Im in Houston. Quite an exciting day for Friday. FREAKIN' WORLD CUP IS ALMOST HERE!!
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. Posted by kaya on 2009/12/04 at 11:17 AM

WTF is Charlize’s problem? Effing Mexico is lucky.

5. Posted by pckilgore on 2009/12/04 at 11:31 AM

Well, we’ll find out pretty quickly if N Korea actually has WMD’s

6. Posted by Timmy on 2009/12/04 at 11:34 AM

Great Draw for the US!

7. Posted by fropa98 on 2009/12/04 at 11:59 AM

Draw not all that great, not because of England but because the Group of 16 game will be
    Germany or Ghana. Of course, If for some reason either England or Germany do not win their group they would play in the first round.

8. Posted by Berg on 2009/12/04 at 12:06 PM

First, Charlize Theron was made for HD.

I believe Landfill said it best in that cinematic epic “Beerfest”.

“Looks like we got the Brits in round 1. We already kicked their asses in WWII. Cheer-i-o, let’s do it again!”

• Posted by chris on 2009/12/04 at 12:14 PM

Are you sure about that?

• Posted by Timmy on 2009/12/04 at 12:16 PM

Uh…the UK was part of the Allies in WWII… How about replace WWII with “1950”

• Posted by pckilgore on 2009/12/04 at 12:29 PM

Sigh…. I guess crappy movie humor is lost on most people these days….

• Posted by Berg on 2009/12/04 at 2:01 PM

It would appear this is the case. I even prefaced it with the movie the quote was from in order to avoid an indictment that our public school system has failed.

9. Posted by kaya on 2009/12/04 at 12:06 PM

I like our matchup with England. Besides S. Africa, they were my 2nd choice.
    There isn’t a really clear “group of death”… my guess is that people will go with group G, though.

• Posted by fropa98 on 2009/12/04 at 12:23 PM

Group G has two great teams but I am not sold that Portugal or Ivory Coast are all that strong. I look at Group E as having some potential. Denmark is not a bad team and Cameroon may be the best African team in the Cup. Who knows with the Japanese.

10. Posted by Timmy on 2009/12/04 at 12:28 PM

I think this sums it up best: “We have no excuse not to make it out of our group” Period.

11. Posted by kaya on 2009/12/04 at 12:41 PM

Charlize Theron is made for HD as long as you’re watching on mute.
    OK, so for friendlies.
    Tunisia and Morocco -> Algeria
    Russia and Croatia -> Slovenia
    The only one I can think of for England is to play ourselves. Idk, maybe Sweden or Germany.

12. Posted by Mark T on 2009/12/04 at 12:50 PM

Hey folks, getting some great stuff here at ESPN.

Highlights:

First priority in WC coverage is the hardcore fan. Game coverage will reflect a high level of understanding of the game.

They are “looking at” a weekly soccer show.

More to come…

13. Posted by sfshwebb on 2009/12/04 at 1:17 PM

Ivory Coast is an excellent team and were very unlucky not to make it out of the group stages in 06. That’s an interesting group for sure. IC are a great attacking team so they will give portugal a run for their money…Brazil should win that group but they often start WC slow…should be a good group

14. Posted by Brad on 2009/12/04 at 1:49 PM

Love our draw. We should get through, and if we play Germany in round 2… calling Jermaine Jones, this is your time to shine haha!

I was upset at first when Mexico caught South Africa, but then getting Uruguay and France made me feel better. I will forgive France for their handball goal if they eliminate El Tri!

To me, the Group of Death is D. Germany and Serbia, two Euro group winners, plus Ghana and Australia, who for me are the best African and …um… “Asian” teams out there. Sure, Brazil / Cote D’Ivoire / Portugal is tough, but N. Korea stinks and Portugal I feel is over-rated. Even if they aren’t, still just 3 quality teams. In D we have four very good teams.

Also, since I’m also a track fan, it’s Haile Gebrselassie. I was awesome to see him take part. And in that ridiculous yellow vest.

Looking forward to it all. These non-Euro-hosted Cups always seem to allow for us non-powers to do well.

15. Posted by Dylan on 2009/12/04 at 2:08 PM

I don’t know if I’ll have any followers, but I kinda feel like Group A is the group of death. France, nuff said, Mexico, nuff said, Uraguay who can beat anyone. Plus the Host Nation who will be playing every game at Home. I don’t know seems tuff to me.

• Posted by Timmy on 2009/12/04 at 2:16 PM

Group A is one of the tougher groups along with D and H. I agree. On paper it looks like Italy and Spain have the easiest groups.

16. Posted by Kevin on 2009/12/04 at 4:37 PM

I was hoping Mark wasn’t just invited, but he was part of a discussion. I don’t think ESPN needed Mark to say that we got a great group though.

17. Posted by Pete on 2009/12/04 at 4:39 PM

for those who watched on ESPN, WTF was going on with that Brit homer that Lalas had to put in his place. Way to work for a network carrying the draw for a country that is playing yours and getting cocky and confident like we don’t have a chance. I see on the nightly update its everyone but him, I hope he is already on a plane back there.

My 2 cents….

• Posted by Matthew N on 2009/12/04 at 7:52 PM

that guy was great.. i loved his perspective. lalas is pro american, why can’t there be an english guy on there? and it isn’t like they knew ahead of time us was going to play england.

• Posted by Pete on 2009/12/04 at 9:03 PM

Cause maybe this isn’t England and Americans should tolerate a cocky/arrogant Brit saying how his team would win.

• Posted by kaya on 2009/12/04 at 11:02 PM

Relax… that’s why the English are so fun to beat. They really honestly believe every damn team they sport is the golden balls generation. I don’t think it’s anything personal… they just can’t help themselves.

18. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/12/04 at 5:44 PM

Hi guys…Matthew of TSG logging on to the world wide web for the first time in a week.

Wow!

That’s all I can say now….and I’m already scared/pining for Ghana reunion in the next round.

Go USA…going to jump on the All Whites bandwagon for 48 hours and then back to the states.

Great job Mark, Shaun.