Wow! Donovan Toffee Bound?!

Landon Donovan, Tim Howard

Roomy!

The Guardian in the UK has the report. The Los Angeles Galaxy frontman possibly headed on loan to Everton in the EPL.

Landon Donovan, the apple of manager David Moyes eye over in America FC East (and also this authors EPL team selection).

This move for Donovan makes so much sense that I jusasdkhlgndfs,m.sadfd….sorry about that just fell out of my chair.

Here’s the quick bullets that just exploded out of my head:

♦ Landy gets to go to a club with not 1, not 2, but now 3 Americans already in its “possession,” albeit Tim Howard the only one not relegated to reserve duty. Note, Lando gets to keep tabs on the likes of Cody Arnoux and Anton Peterlin’s progress as well.

♦ He plays for a team known for it’s work ethic….as is Donovan.

♦ LD10 gets to play against all of the defenders he might face-off with in Game 1, World Cup 2010. Bridge, Brown, Glen J, Terry, Lescott, Ledley….all of ‘em.

♦ He slots into a side with the talented Louis Saha, Yakubu and Jo up top, not to mention Froman Fellaini playing the hub in the middle…so he’s not moving up the pitch and he’s got some guys that can do damage above him.

♦ Lastly, playing time aplenty! Mr South Africa Steven Pienaar, Mr. Youngster Jack Rodwell, please report to the bench.

A good move for US Soccer, Donovan and USMNT “training”…..if it happens. And, Everton do need it to happen.

This message brought to you by the Campaign for TSG Best Blog 2010…”Yes We Can!”….see right sidebar. Shameless stooping…

1. Posted by Kevin on 2009/12/08 at 7:28 PM

When I went to Mexico, everyone there says Americas is going to buy him, so he can learn how to play some real soccer. Of course this makes more sense, but still it’s kind of strange how the rumors vary depending on the country.

• Posted by Mark T on 2009/12/08 at 8:01 PM

He’s been linked all over the place. I’d like to see him in the EPL for a stretch for the exposure and just to see how he performs there, good or bad.

2. Posted by Justin on 2009/12/08 at 9:05 PM

Call me crazy, but might Man U be an interesting choice? No need to stay for the rest of the season like Everton would want him to …

But with what, half the team injured right now, with Lando in there they could move some of their mid-fielders to fill some holes in the back and still have an attacking option.

He might not make first team, but bound to get plenty of sub time … and cup games to play in aplenty.

I’m not sure about yet another American at the club in the drop zone is the way to go … but I guess at Everton he might get a good deal of play time with less pressure.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/12/08 at 10:11 PM

I think it would not be great, psychologically if the USMNT top outfield player, when somewhere and didn’t start on loan. I just think it sends the wrong message.

That being said, we know that Nani is not the answer on the left wing for Manchester United. Wow! What an idea to slot Donovan in there.

And more so, rumors are that Man U can only loan-in players as well because they are having some
      financial difficulty repaying their debt.

Some other thoughts on Man U:

Imagine Landy playing with Rooney who he will face-off with in RSA.
      Or LD going to Becks former stomping grounds.
      How does Man U react if he takes Giggs out of the line-up.

All just fun to ponder.

3. Posted by Dylan on 2009/12/09 at 8:20 AM

This is fantastic news. Exactly what Donovan needs, I just hope he comes back to MLS next season, for my reasons not his.

Everton is now offically my favortie team in the EPL this year.

4. ManU is a great black hole which buries American outfield players so deeply in the squad that they can no longer perceive even a crack of daylight. I believe Jovan Kirovski, Claudio Reyna, Kenny Cooper Jr., and Jonathan Spector used to be at Old Trafford. How many appearances do you recall any of them getting with the first team? Even Freddy Adu failed to impress at a trial there. What it obviously takes to get into Sir Alex’s team is not being American. Tim Howard seems to be the lone exception. After that one Champion’s League set piece goal that Tim gave up, they were more than happy to make him the scapegoat, even though it had more to do with Rio Ferdinand failing his drugs test than any miscue by Howard. Then the whole business with Ferguson telling Tim how he definitely saw a future for him at Old Trafford to get him to re-sign, and then buying (Then Dutch first choice goalkeeper) Edwin van der Saar shortly afterward. The goal of American players shouldn’t desire to sign with ManU, but to sign with another Premiership club for a shot at gaining the notoriety of beating the pants off of them.

5. Posted by Berg on 2009/12/09 at 9:46 AM

Wow… awesome. Even if this doesn’t materialize it’s good to see Donovan getting his due as a class player. People like to point out the Bayern Munich “failure” and dismiss Landon’s chances overseas but the guy has become a different player since. I’m glad he’ll get a chance to shake that label.

If this loan does happen, the Liverpool derby game just got that much more interesting for me.

6. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/12/09 at 11:15 AM

On Man U, it would just be a site to see Landon in that red jersey and on the pitch with the likes of Wayne Rooney etc.
    Just like Italian football, there is definitely a pre-disposition to make the players on the team as homegrown as possible especially for a club like Man U….that being said you’re seeing the likes of Nani, Anderson and Berbatov (slightly) effectively buried so it’s not an American thing I don’t think.

A few things:

- This is an in season loan; a team like Man U is not going to assume and integrate a player unless they are proven in a top league that quickly

- With Everton and their table position, this is a good inseason risk for David Moyes. He’s got nothing to lose really here at such a cheap cost.

• Posted by kaya on 2009/12/09 at 2:55 PM

It would be a sight, alright… one I wouldn’t like to see!
      Everton will be a good match for Landon. I’d much rather see him play on a side where he’ll actually be on the pitch and appreciated than playing 4th fiddle to a bunch of over-inflated and overpaid egos.

7. Posted by kaya on 2009/12/09 at 2:46 PM

I never really gave a hoot about Everton… but combined with Timmy and my dislike of Liverpool (apologies to the Reds fans), I think this pushed me over the edge. Everton are the new Fullham!

8. [...] Our comments last week when the move was rumored. [...]