USA-Honduras On The FIFA Schedule

Though no official announcement from US Soccer, it seems like a January meeting between the USA and Honduras is set in the eyes of FIFA.

Los Catrachos will roll into the Home Depot Center on January 24th for the friendly. No word yet on whether Jonathan Bornstein will have an autograph session with the team before the game.

(Just an FYI, the brothers TSG may be covering this game in-person.)

1. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/12/09 at 1:01 PM

Congratulations to The Shin Guardian on posting the most eyesore-ing graphic ever…

Oh wait….I work here.

2. I think the USA needs to play an African Side and a eastern european side rather than play somebody they have played 100′s of times.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/12/09 at 3:39 PM

Darbs:

I wouldn’t worry about it in this case for this single January game, but maybe later in the quarter.

Remember, the January friendlies don’t usually see the release of players by major clubs + the US will be coming out of their USMNT camp with some new players.

This game will probably be minus major USMNT vets (most likely minus Timmy, Clint, Boca, etc.) and probably minus Honduras vets as well and used to see if there are one or two faces that should get some run in the forthcoming friendlies.

We’ll have a piece out in the next week on who may or may not be going to the camp.

• Posted by Kevin on 2009/12/09 at 5:03 PM

We could see more of Torres or Rogers. With most of our defensive mids in Europe we’ll probably see Rico and hopefully and attacking mid. Maybe Bob gives Lando a shot at that role so he can take a look at more wingers.

What worries me the most might just be the defense. No Boca, no Demerit, no Gooch, no Spector, no Dolo. Maybe we could see Bornstein on the right with Castillo on the left, but who would play in the middle with Marhsall. One of my BIG questions defensively for Bradley is if he prefers to big center defenders or maybe one and one more agile quicker one. Depending on which way he goes he could pair Marshall with Cameron or Gonzales

Up top, I’m not convinced with Johnson or Cunningham. This may be our chance to see Findley, but who does he play with? I’m gonna throw a name out just to be a little different, and it might not be a bad Idea either. Why not Jaqua? He doesn’t have horrible footskills, and he is EXTREMELY tall if we ever turn to just crosses. Also, unlike Cooper he knows how to use his head and play as a target striker. If we’re going to keep dragging a target man around every where I would rather him than Casey or *gulp* … the big aloha.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2009/12/09 at 5:05 PM

Kevin:

I have half my Camp Cupcake piece written and you stole my Jaqua comment! :> Kidding….

I’m all for him at least getting an invite to camp–also become he could in a pinch provide cover in the midfield as well.

• Posted by Matthew N on 2009/12/09 at 5:17 PM

Ching would be a great pairing with Findley.

3. Posted by Kevin on 2009/12/09 at 5:18 PM

matthewsf: I don’t think he’ll ever be able to break it on to the first team, but you never know. Not many people were in Davies’ camp before the confed cup, and he deserves it because he just never quits. I completely forgot that he could cover for midfield because I disagree with using him in the midfield. It’s not the style I see him want to play, but that’s up to the coach. I think Midfield isn’t any worry, so I wouldn’t bet on Bob using him there.

P.S. Do you have any thoughts on the defense? Would you prefer Gonzales (still hate his team) or Cameron? Is there someone I’m missing besides Califf? (who by the way was signed by MLS’s new expansion team, you missed that)

• Posted by Dylan on 2009/12/10 at 8:46 AM

I think Gonzales should definatley be brought in. I’d love to see how he works with Boca, But probably won’t get to see that for couple more months.

4. Posted by Dylan on 2009/12/10 at 8:45 AM

Hell, maybe an opportunity to bring Brek Shea? Put him up to with FIndley. Crazier things have worked, though I can’t think of any off the top of my head.