There is a good chance we’re getting the USMNT Jan camp roster announcement tomorrow I would surmise.
A few pre-Friday weekend bullets for you:
• Jack Rodwell goes off with an injury for Everton yesterday. Ayegbeni Yakubu headed to the African Cup. Oh yeah, Landon Donovan is going to get run…real soon.
• Speaking of Everton, iron man Tim Howard given the day off Thursday (thankfully) in the Europa League, now ready to take on red-red-hot Birmingham Saturday in the Premiership.
• Jay DeMerit playing for more than country pride in South Africa. With DeMerit out of contract at the end of the season and his club Watford headed to administration, there’s a great shot that DeMerit will have a new club at the end of the year. Audition time!
• Jerome Rothen, who we mentioned in our Stuie article this week, apparently leaving the Rangers according to many sources. Rothen plays on the wing….hmm….Stu, you made that decision yet? Door’s open…
• USMNT now officially to face the Netherlands in Stonerville in March; it’s confirmed. The news went around everywhere this week….I thought we confirmed this game a long time ago, no….nope? did we space….damn I’ve got the munchies….if you’re headed to Holland though, three tips for you: 1) Rent a bike. 2) Try the fries 3) Check out the graffiti…some of the absolute best in the world and 4) Coffee shop does not mean coffee shop.
• The American Outlaws Seattle chapter found a story yesterday that suggests a US friendly against Tunisia in May. We’re passing it along. In our mind it was either Morocco, who the US lost to in Nashville right before the ’06 World Cup, or Tunisia to prepare for the Algerians, so this sounds plausible.
• More on how the African Cup impacts USMNT player fortunes in club ball next month:
» Jonathan Spector: Could have been 100%, actually 0%
Specs’ foil for the outside role at West Ham is African-born Herita Ilunga who plays for his native Zaire. Alas Ilunga’s nation didn’t qualify, leaving Specs as the 5th wheel in a 4-wheel backline in Hammerville.
» Jozy Altidore: Hard to say….
When do we start discussing JZA’s club situation? Likely not until after Cup 2010, but currently a mixed bag for the young USMNT striker. Hull’s got ’em for a 1-year, but Hull City’s in a relegation quandry, sitting just 3 points shy with games against Arsenal (this weekend) and Manchester United (next weekend) coming up. Further, they’re losing three to the Cup of Nations. Look out below.
Conversely the Tigers lose Kamel Ghilas (Algeria….I didn’t Jozy was playing with the enemy right now…) in the African tourney, meaning Big Jeezy only has to fight off V of H and Caleb Folan for the starting nod. An interesting few months afoot for the sheep herder.
JZA up against Arsenal on Saturday on Fox Soccer Channel…that’ll be a good one.
» Freddy Adu: Goose eggs
The former star of Nike advertising, the Subdued Freddy Adu gets no joy from the African Cup as the crowded midfield ahead of him at Belenenses is chock full of Brazilian and Portugese…and that’s it
• The Fulham Dempseys host the Manchester Rooneys Saturday at the Cottage. United will be itching for goals after a breakdown at home against Friedel’s army–they’ll have a tough road d on the road to get the engine going again. This may be the EPL game of the weekend.
• Ladies and gentlemen, you’re future face of the MLS. You’re $350K man. TSG’s great ambassador for the USMNT. Oh boy, really?
Enjoy the weekend. Happy holidays.