Can The USMNT Avenge The Ghost of Frings?!

There is no antibiotic for World Cup fever.

And yesterday’s piece on the starting 11 for the decade had us recanting the Cup games of the past 10 years….with conversations around Sanneh and the Germany game in 2002 on the forefront of our mind.

While TSG will be decidedly focused on the three first-things-first matches for the USMNT in most of its coverage, does Germany again await the USMNT should they graduate the group?

For our younger readers, you missed a good one in 2002….a stellar performance by world class keepers in Kahn and Friedel, a vintage Donovan performance before he was vintage and, of course, a handball by rocket-footed defensive mid Torsten Frings that makes Theirry Henry look like a saint.

And yes…per out piece yesterday as well…that is a dynamite lead pass to Donovan for scoring attempt…from Reyna…wow!

…and what a run by Tony Sanneh!

1. Posted by kaya on 2009/12/29 at 5:05 PM

The pain, the pain! Watching at 4AM and trying not to scream your ass off at the TV so your bitchy upstairs neighbor won’t complain. Oh thank you for reopening those wounds.
    I totally agree with Matthis over Reyna.

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2009/12/29 at 5:11 PM

You know as I watch and re-watch this and remember the game…one thing comes to mind. It was the USMNT youth and energy that served it well that whole tourney.

It would be a shame if Bob didn’t put someone on the roster who was in essence not ready, but had the opportunity to dazzle if only for one moment briefly.

I don’t know if it’s a Tracy, a Findley, someone we haven’t looked yet, but clearly the lack of the magnitude of the games showed in the USMNT let-it-fly style.

So in that respect….good to watch these clips.

3. It is a touch painful to watch that handball again. But, I watched the highlights of the other matches and it made me feel a little better, though now i probably won’t get anything done at work for the next few days as soccer fever starts creeping in. I agree that the precociousness of Donovan, Beasley, Mathis, et al. was part of what made that team work. You’ll notice in 2006 that Donovan and Co. understood the gravity of the situation and it got to them at times.

I sincerely hope that we get a similar (to 2002) display in 2010; though I won’t hold my breath. Being expected to advance puts way more pressure on them to actually play well. Though, if they advance no one will give them a snowball’s chance against Germany or Ghana so Bobbo may just turn them loose and hope to capture some of the 2002 magic.

4. Posted by Antonio H. on 2009/12/29 at 10:23 PM

If that handball was called on Frings, he would’ve been redcarded, we then would’ve scored the penalty, and being a man up, Germany would not be able to handle us. We were the better team on that day, and if it went into extra time, barring the redcar & pk, we would’ve taken care of business, game over. We then would have went into the semi finals and finished of S.K. like we should’ve done in the group stages. I’ll leave it there.

5. Awesome friggin video, great preformance, if we can get that type of heart and passion in 2010 i feel good about the team

6. That was an incredible game… a bunch of no-names (from the world’s perspective) outplaying Germany and getting the short end of the stick. I can’t remember being more upset at a referee’s non-call in any game for any sport. That was criminal.

7. Posted by Timmy on 2009/12/30 at 7:39 AM

I remember that game like it was yesterday. The blood starts racing again after watching the highlights. I (like many others on the East Coast) took off work that day to watch that game at a local bar at 7 AM. The US deserved a better result that day. I hope we can play with the heart and determination in 2010 like we did in 2002. I agree with the comments above that we need at least one or two young talents in the mix to “let it fly” in 2010. I am starting to get hyped already!

8. Posted by MikeC on 2009/12/30 at 8:55 AM

So so painful to watch, even till this day!!! That is why I dont understand why they made such a huge deal abount Henry’s handball. Yes I feel bad for Ireland because they didnt make the World Cup. But this was in the ROUND OF16 IN THE WORLD CUP which is WAY more important. Like they said before, we dominated that game and with the red card who knows what would have happened. O lets not forget the fact that if it did go to penaltys we had Friedel, who was stopping almost every PK that came his way. I would have definetly taken him over Kahn in PK’s at that moment. That game in 2002 should have put FIFA on its toes about replay or line judges or whatever and the Henry ball would have never happen or been an issue. What a shame!!!!

9. Posted by fropa98 on 2009/12/30 at 10:52 AM

This makes me miss Sanneh’s dominance in the air. Is Onyewu ever going to dominate like this?

10. Posted by Iggy on 2009/12/30 at 11:48 PM

ahhh this game… i remember being up at 4am as well watching it… and watching our country dominate the mighty germans, and heart broken when we didn’t get the call for handball, then i remember doing a half fist pump towards the end because i thought sanneh’s header in the side netting had gone in… only for my hopes to deflate shortly after… so many ‘what ifs’ in this game… so many.