One Week Left: Sons Of Liberty Vs. Yanks

Vote or.....or.....don't....

Just one week left to vote for a new moniker for the USMNT….or to keep the old one(s).

At the time of publishing here, it was a two-horse race between “Son of Liberty” and keeping “The Yanks” as the team name.

Should Sons of Liberty win, The Shin Guardian is going to prepare a presentation worthy of a college business class thesis that we never completed….all in the name of the US National Team.

To vote, click here and scroll to the bottom for the poll.

1. Posted by Timmy on 2010/01/08 at 7:32 AM

I think it should be The Yanks.
    Sons of Liberty just doesn’t work.

2. Posted by Dan on 2010/01/08 at 10:16 AM

“Sons of Liberty” sounds kind of jingoistic to me. Also, a little presumptuous: I would argue that the French have had a longer and more tumultuous history with liberty than Americans.

3. Keep it The Yanks!

4. Posted by Joe on 2010/01/08 at 12:02 PM

The Yanks 100% of course. The sons of liberty?! Isn’t that a TV show or something. I can hear it now, “Here come the Sons of Liberty” People will think the Army Rangers are doing a pregame show or something.

5. Posted by dude on 2010/01/08 at 2:05 PM

I know it’s late, but I would like to propose a nickname, “The Treaders.” As in “Don’t Tread on This.”

6. Posted by Joe on 2010/01/08 at 3:46 PM

oleole.com ripping TSG on this article.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/08 at 3:50 PM

So be it…it’s been an excellent topic for discussion with impassioned and well-constructed commentary by all of the TSG community.

Thanks for the warning though :>

Matthew

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/01/10 at 8:23 AM

First of all it was not OleOle it was Matchfitusa.com. The author makes a point when reading it, but I don’t see it the way he does. He sees it as insulting to change the nickname,and I think your only trying to better US Soccer. And I agree with Matt.

p.s. Some of the readers/comments that have never read this blog are bashing you guys. It may be nice to go and point out that the yanks is winning anyway.

• Posted by bw on 2010/01/08 at 9:23 PM

i think sons of liberty is cool, but the fact that lib-er-ty is 3 syllables makes to too much of a mouthful. therefore, my vote is sticks with the yanks.

7. Posted by patrickhattrick on 2010/01/08 at 8:40 PM

I gotta state the case for both sides before I explain my decision.
    The Yanks: Already used and relatively well-recognized. It has been a term used for Americans most famously in the Civil War. It even comes with an old war song(The Yanks Are Coming) that will give ESPN the opportunity to make a little video with US Soldiers and Yanks with the song playing in the background. Unfortunately, there are other Yanks. The New York Yankees are probably more well known than the US National Team, not only abroad but at home too. So, next up is
    The Sons of Liberty: This came from the Revolutionary War against the British and ties in very well considering that we’re playing England. It really fits in every which way, really. The big issue? Cheesiness. The Sons Of Liberty sounds very cheesy and just a little bit unrealistic.
    So, in the end, my final vote went with…
    The Sons of Liberty. The USA are rebels against the world, having a great Revolution. They take on England and, even though all of the odds seem to be against them, they beat them. My reasoning is that the problems with the Yanks really outweighed the problems with the Sons of Liberty.
    Also, to give it a song, how about Carry on my Wayward Son? Come on World. Bring. It. On.

8. Posted by wixson on 2010/01/10 at 8:17 AM