A rousing and heartfelt thank you to our community and audience. The Shin Guardian officially turned 6 months old over the weekend. Once again, here was our very first piece.
We’re celebrating our 6-month this week by being down at US Soccer January Player’s Camp at the Home Depot Center. If I suggested that we would even be celebrating a 6-month, let alone celebrating by interviewing Dax McCarty when we started…well lying wouldn’t be too strong a word.
It is a tribute to our community and your continued galvanizing commentary that not only have we sprouted so fast, but we’ve maintained the quality of commentary on our site–at least in the comments section.
So bear with us as we offer a few thank you’s:
• To Dan, Nick and the entire Free Beer Movement contingent, thanks for taking an early interest to our publication and always lending a valuable piece of data, commentary or suggestion. Thank you.
• To Neil, Michael, and everyone at the United States Soccer Federation, for working with us and bearing with us as we harangued and barraged you with questions….and always responding to those in a timely manner. A shout out to Sunil Gulati himself for being quick with replies to our inquiries as well.
• To Clark Haptonstall of the Haptonstall Group— I don’t imagine any up-and-coming players read our site, but if you want to talk to an efficient player rep and publicist, Clark is always considerate to the best of his ability with both our time and those of the athletes he represents. Class act, Clark Haptonstall. Thank you Clark for always giving us the time of day.
• To Connor, Charles, Patrick, Tuesday, Kevin, Greg and everyone who continually voice valuable and well-thought-out points of view on our site. Oh what the hell, to Antonio as well, despite his infatuations with Dilly Duka–we know, we know “Duka in 2014, Yes We Can!”–we’ve got the shirts in the mail already. Kidding Antonio.
• To Shaun Webb and his column additions at TSG. Shaun helps balance our commentary with his European-born tint. May Rafa keep Torres, inspire Gerrard, and lead your Reds to the Champion’s League once more.
• To Miss Shinguardian (my girlfriend) and Mrs. Shinguardian (Mark’s wife) who have managed to plead “stop writing on that thing” less and less.
• To the Justin and all the American Outlaws, one of the finest support groups any team could have. You guys are killer. Looking forward to watching the Honduras game in a few weeks and getting my ear drums blown out.
• To my brother, who balances out my aggressive behavior and my commentary with unique takes on the beautiful game, soccer history and issued one of our most popular piece’s “Soccertown, USA.” Those that don’t know, Mark was on this soccer stadium/Soccertown USA soccer tip long before Bill Simmons chimed in.
• To Kyle Rogers at Hillcrest Road blog for soliciting us to interview Coach Peter Vermes as we were getting going. Thanks Kyle. Oh and nice job on getting Hillcrest Road nominated for best blog this year.
• To Mac and all the guys at ESPN, for being gracious hosts upon our visit for the World Cup draw and taking our phone calls as we got started. We know your job sometimes puts you in a precarious position to answering all our questions, yet you guys handle it oh-so-tactfully. Thank you.
• To Kartik Krishnaiyer…a great partner in crime on our ESPN excursion.
• To the knuckleheads Chris and Scott–kidding–at Die Hipster Brewing Company, thanks for the Beckerman and McCarty brews. We are currently en route to see if Dax does in fact approve of his mash mix. Die Hipster….those guys are legit. Thank you.
• To Matt Mathai, for some of the best photos that you see on The Shin Guardian….including the one above.
• To the USMNT primarily, may your path to glory in South Africa be both long and short, thanks for the content.
• To all we’ve missed, write us and we’ll make sure to update the piece.
Happy 6-month to our entire TSG community. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.