Day 2 In Carson At The USMNT Training Camp

The USMNT in Carson worked on a little one-touch passing to start the day.

Check out our first day in camp….

TSG spent a second day at US Soccer Camp in Carson. Training was shorter today and included one-touch passing, crossing, possession and scoring drills as well as a shortened-field scrimmage.

• Sitting today’s practice out were Marcus Tracy (who has since been sent back to Denmark), Chris Pontius, Robbie Rogers, Kevin Alston (who did a lot more running again) and Justin Braun. (I was told Geoff Cameron was sitting out by US Soccer, but the USMNT Blog on USSoccer.com does not mention him. As a result, however, I didn’t look for Geoff on the field nor did I notice him.)
  • Insightful instruction from Bob Bradley to the troops this morning. Bradley cautioned the defense on not rushing to close out offenders if it will result in a big gap in the defense. Rather, pursue enough to slow down the attack without committing to allow the rest of the team to get back and fill in. If I recall correctly, the USMNT may have taken this advice too far in the El Salvador last September when they were noticeably hanging back instead of closing out near the area.
  • Omar Gonzalez continued to look strong. His ball pursuit was impressive and he used his body well to shield and maintain possession.
  • Robbie Findley had a gorgeous strike to the top right corner that beat Zach Thornton during the scrimmage. Findley found himself with one defender between him and Thornton, cut back right towards the middle pitch and launched a rocket. At the conclusion of practice Findley remained on the field to work on some left-footed shooting versus the stable of US keepers.
  • Dax McCarty was very active today in the mid-field and won some balls through pure hustle and determination. His goal in the scrimmage somehow snuck between Hartman and the post. (see below)

Yes, this ball goes in the goal.

A few commenters have asked what is was like to be at camp. Obviously, seeing such high quality soccer at the field level and having the opportunity to hear what Bradley is barking to players during practice is a treat. But more importantly, seeing the work the team puts in and spending a few minutes with some of the players reminds us why we do what we do and helps connect to the human side of team and players we discuss every day.

As a bonus, upon returning to San Diego late this afternoon, TSG’s tickets for the Honduras match were waiting in my mail box.

1. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/13 at 8:35 PM

Odd that Dax McCarty had a great practice after he received some goodness from the Die Hipster guys….or is it?

2. This is not odd at all. I find that I’m a star employee the day after a few of our beers. On the other hand, if Dax gets, say ebola, that has nothing to do with us. Nothing at all.

Go Dax!

• I was told that I might be receiving some DH Brews from the TSG boys upon my arrival to LA for the Cupcake Classic Jan 24th.

Can’t wait to drink in the “MLS MVPs.”

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/13 at 9:40 PM

Dan, we both know that this is not the forum for that discussion.
        All I can say at this point is that Dax and Kyle will be well represented.

And…Dr.Benway above…is 1/2 brew crew….:>

3. disappointed at Tracy’s departure…he was probably the guy i wanted to see the most

4. Posted by MichaelN on 2010/01/13 at 9:40 PM

Those pictures make me extremely jealous, what I wouldn’t give to be out there. Anyone else here following the MLS Draft tomorrow??

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/13 at 9:41 PM

Michael:

Matthew at TSG…we’ve not been following…should we put up a “Wall” tomorrow so that folks can discuss the picks?

Matthew

• Posted by MichaelN on 2010/01/13 at 9:45 PM

I was just about to ask about that…ya – that would be pretty cool….the Dilly Duka sighting alone should have some of the commenters riled up

5. Posted by Evan on 2010/01/13 at 9:56 PM

Does Robbie Findley look like the answer to our forward problems? I hope he gets some time in the Honduras game, I’m making the trip down from norcal to see that game and I want to see him preform well.

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/01/13 at 10:41 PM

Evan, I don’t think we are going to know until we see him compete for a few games at that level. The gap between excelling in MLS and in international football is still a big one.

I would be surprised if he didn’t get a long look versus Honduras. With Tracy heading home, the only forwards on the roster are Casey, Findley, Cunningham and Braun. I’d expect Casey and Findley to start with Cunningham in relief.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/01/14 at 4:35 PM

So not much on Braun? That’s too bad because he is a good forward that I would like to see more out of. Did Cunningham do anything at camp today?