MLS Draft: All….You Guys

Camper Troy Perkins: United bound.

Well, you guys wanted a wall. This is the best we can do on short notice.

The TSG team, all two of us, was super busy down in Carson this week.

Let it fly on the MLS draft and USMNTer Jan Camper Troy Perkins joining up with DC United right here.

All your commentary and only your commentary.

Hope this helps….

—–

Nguyen: Once a player for super coach Guus Hiddink

Thanks Ernj for reminding us open the return of Lee Nguyen. We did two blurbs on the former Indian Hoosier last year.

I saw him play a few years back for Bob Bradley in what was the first USMNT cap for Charlie Davies as well.

Fan Stats: Jones, Hedjuk…and Nguyen

Omniscient: Nguyen to London

1. Posted by Matt Mathai on 2010/01/14 at 7:08 AM

I think the Troy Perkins deal was a good one for DC. We (I’m a DC supporter) gave up Fred (who was not really useful for the last two years and was making $250K/yr for it) our first-round pick, and some allocation money.

It wouldn’t have surprised me if Fred had been waived, so his being thrown into this deal is not a big deal to me. BTW, he’s a sweetheart of a guy and I really like him personally, but I’m trying to be dispassionate about this.

We had the #7 pick in the draft. By all accounts, the cream of the crop is the top 4. It’s highly unlikely that we’d get another Chris Pontius with the #7 pick as we did last year. I’m OK with giving this up.

Troy’s return instantly solidifies our back line. We lost a lot of points last year while we figured out which of four keepers would work for us. We had a ton of boneheaded plays where the keeper and back line were totally out of synch.

I believe is better today than it was yesterday. Now all we need is an attacking mid and a forward. Luckily we cleared out Emilio’s $750K salary, so we have some room to work.

• Even as a non-DC fan, I’d have to agree Perkins is going to be a much bigger help than Fred, and Union picks up a great vet in the locker room.

• Posted by ernj on 2010/01/14 at 7:35 AM

I think Philly got the better of this one. The draft is definitely deeper than 4 and I think the top 12 could have a shot at an early impact in the MLS. The salary cap is definitely a plus for DC (I think they’ll fill Emilio’s slot with someone from South America), but other than Nguyen I am not sure who is coming back soon that will greatly affect the allocation list.

2. Posted by MichaelN on 2010/01/14 at 9:07 AM

We could be looking at a lot of player movement today…especially with Dallas looking to deal at #5 and #6.

3. Posted by Dylan on 2010/01/14 at 12:49 PM

They just announced during the draft, that our Feb. friendly is against El Salvador. What are the thoughts on that? It’s in Tampa. I think it’s a good idea, I’m hoping we get a least one more friendly against someone not in CONCACAF, I like the idea of taking on a lesser type team before the Netherlands.

4. Posted by Kevin on 2010/01/14 at 4:42 PM

Wow they would plan the draft while I’m in school. Gotta love MLS and ESPN’s financial geniouses over there. I feel like together they make a lot of the worst decisions ever. That may just be me though

5. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/01/14 at 9:26 PM

Ok so i watched the Aston Villa/Blackburn match today. Guzan relieved Friedel. At about the 13th minute, he commited to a testy cross from about 10 yards out from the corner of the 18. short story long he commited(wrong choice might i add), knocked over 2 blackburn players and simultaneously got a fist on the ball at the same time. Beast?