Dodging The Bullet: Deuce Gets Mini Vacation

Say It Ain't So! Say It Ain't So!

Update 01/19 afternoon:

Whew!

That was a close call.

The official statement today from Fulham FC.

“During the Blackburn Rovers fixture on Sunday 17 January, Clint Dempsey sustained moderate damage to a ligament in his right knee. Following the results of a scan, early indications are positive in that no operation is required. At this stage it is thought that the injury will not prevent him from featuring for Fulham, prior to the end of the season.
Whilst obviously disappointed, Clint is focused on his rehabilitation and will work hard, in line with medical advice, to return at the soonest opportunity.”

Reprinted from FulhamFC.com

This quote by Bob Bradley from US Soccer.com:

“The news about Clint’s injury is positive, especially given the fact that he will not require surgery,” said U.S. head coach Bob Bradley.  “We are confident that Clint will be ready to be an important part of our team during the World Cup.”

Not a vacation, but not surgery either.

Just had the exchange with TSG Contributor Chris over IM:

Chris: What do you think of the phrase ‘moderate ligament damage’ & ‘should be playing again before May?’

Matthew: I think that’s best we could have hoped for. I think that as long as it wasn’t the ACL then that’s a good thing.
I think the silver lining is that Demps will be fresh. Probably the best news we could have hoped for.
Thanks to TSG Contributor BW for sending the Deuce news our way.

—–

Update 01/18, afternoon:  Bob Bradley’s quote on Clint Dempsey’s current predicament from US Soccer. Please click here as other publications have different versions.

Update 01/18:

Unconfirmed reports say a diagnosis is expected Tuesday–once their is something substantial or confirmed on timing or news, we’ll let you know.

—–

Oh no! When will it end for the USMNT and their fanbase.

Clint Dempsey limped off the field today under his own power in the second half of Fulham’s 2-0 loss to Blackburn and went straight to the hospital.

The likely diagnosis is not good…as in “no South Africa” not good. (Reverse jinxing this here.)

Dempsey–who had smacked a bicycler of the cross bar and had a clinical turn and shot in the game–is feared to have torn his ACL according to Fulham Manager Roy Hodgson from the BBC.

Let me introduce you to the USMNT, the Clippers of World Cup soccer. Boo.

1. LA Galaxy need to recall Lando immediately. No Dempsey, Davies, Jones and possibly Onyewu?? New starting 11.

—————————–Howard

Cherundolo—Spector—DeMerit—Bocanegra—Bornstein

———————Edu——-Clark——Bradley

————————Donovan—Altidore

God hates us….

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/17 at 1:15 PM

One piece of logic, one positive here.

1) I would imagine that should it start today that you’ll see the same front 6 that you saw to end qualifying in the Costa Rica game:

Casey, Altidore
    Lando, Rico, Mikey B, Stu

2) Everyone who slammed Bob Bradley should indeed cheer that he’s the coach. How would Guus Hiddink have dealt with the psyche of a team with all these injuries when he didn’t even know the players.

A collective team effort is the only tonic for more injuries this close to the Cup.

3. ur prolly right matt, as i take a break from crying in the corner, its just that losing the two most dynamic offensive players we have severely limits our ability to score on a quality backline (such as England’s whoever it is they decide to trot out against us). Casey can’t be counted on, Altidore, i refer to the piece you guys did on him a few days back, and now LD will draw that much more attention, because Stu hasn’t really proved himself on such a large stage as the WC. Rico and Bradley will solid as always. But our chances of scoring now just took a nose dive off of Mount Everest.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/17 at 1:36 PM

Agreed Connor.

Hopefully the injury is not serious, but it looks like it is.

The player against England you need is Deuce–to find the seems just beyond Gareth Barry.
      Maybe Spain or Brazil he’s not as effective in because of an up-and-down game…

But look at our three opponents.
      one, the aforementioned England
      two, the stingy Slovenia defense that doesn’t take risks…you need Deuce’s creativity.
      three, algeria — whose defense never met a header they didn’t want to let in.

Tearing over here as well.

4. Posted by Dylan on 2010/01/17 at 1:35 PM

Wow, just Wow

5. Posted by Dylan on 2010/01/17 at 1:45 PM

Let’s all say a prayer tonight, Power of Positive thinking everyone! It’s not going to be that bad. He’lll be out for 6-8 weeks, just enough time to rest up for the cup!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/17 at 1:50 PM

Thanks Dylan — I should have mentioned–and added above–that I was reverse jinxing it. Everytime we’ve been positive, we’ve mostly been left with crumbs on our face….so let’s hope you’re right.

6. Posted by Evan on 2010/01/17 at 2:16 PM

Whenever I have seen or heard of an ACL injury, the people who have suffered it have always been in pain, watching the game this morning, Dempsey didn’t look to be in pain, it was more of the look of someone who had cramped up and realized that he could not continue. Furthermore, from all the reports that I’ve heard they mention something about his posterior cruciate knee ligament (PCL?), which I’m not a doctor, but I don’t think it would be as bad. I know that meniscus and MCL tears can only be 6-8 weeks, but I haven’t seen much about a PCL, hopefully whatever happens its just a sprain and he is back on the field in no time.

7. Posted by Evan on 2010/01/17 at 2:22 PM

Wow okay I just did some research and apparently the recovery time for a PCL injury is in the same neighborhood as ACL, the source that I looked at (http://www.orthspec.com/pdfs/PCL-injuries.pdf) mentions that the average recovery time is around 6-9 months which would surely put Clint out of the World Cup

8. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/17 at 2:23 PM

From someone who has had 3 knee surgeries. I can comment that the painful look is actually how bad the nerve has been damaged.

What a doc does it take your knee, one hand wrapped on the kneecap, one wrapped on the top of the shin and they attempt to slide your shin and knee joint in opposite directions to see how much play there is.

What they don’t know is how loose it was to start all the time.

Its true that PCL is the quote best, but of course let’s let this play out. As quick a diagnosis as this with the coach willing to speak about is not a good step.

9. Posted by Joe on 2010/01/17 at 8:33 PM

my keyboard is broken from the tears….along with the chair I broke after a scissor kick and a couple dents in the door from my 1-2 combo after hearing the news.

10. Posted by Matt Mathai on 2010/01/17 at 9:36 PM

This is just terrible news for Clint and for the USMNT. I hope he can recover quickly, but even if he’s back in training within four months, he’s not likely to be fit by June.

The good news is that Bradley has done a very good job in broadening the player pool. This is the chance for another player (Holden, maybe?) to step up and show his quality.

It’s going to be hard typing on my keyboard with all my fingers crossed…

11. Posted by Bob on 2010/01/17 at 9:52 PM

This sucks!! Connor is right … God hates us. Is there any word on how Cunningham has looked? Wasn’t he training with a team in France?

If this is an ACL tear, Clint will easily be at 9 months and, in reality, his quad will never be at full strength again (the quad atrophies while the knee heals). I had this surgery a few years ago and, although I am fine now, my left quad is smaller than my right and no matter what I do I cannot get it back to full strength.

12. Ronaldinho is in incredible form right now. Check out the goal around 2:55.

Seems like he really wants that last world cup appearance.

13. Posted by bw on 2010/01/17 at 11:28 PM

you’ve got be kidding me!? straight to the hospital is not a good sign!

side note: how did Clint not finish after turning on that defender? sickest cut in the world and then hits it right at the keeper? that’s the type of missed opportunity that will KILL us in the cup!

14. Someone needs to get that horse placenta lady on the phone. Put her in the room with Deuce, Gooch, and CD9.

15. Posted by dallen on 2010/01/18 at 9:10 AM

I don’t want to be overly optimistic here, but it sounds like an PCL tear which would likely not require surgery and would mean a down time of 6-8 weeks.

16. Posted by Joe on 2010/01/18 at 9:27 AM

lmao I am looking for the horse placenta lady and sending Gulati pics, email, gps tracking, and telephone # of her so he knows who she is. good idea Nick.

17. Posted by bw on 2010/01/18 at 9:47 AM

updates? i’m dying over here. i thought with the time difference we might know something official by now……

18. Posted by Kevin on 2010/01/18 at 11:44 AM

uh… What happened to the magic pixie dust that you guys sprinkled on Edu, Jones, and I think Marshall?

19. Lazy old Deuce, who needs him? Maybe John Harkes can come out of retirement for the cup and show us how it’s done!

20. Posted by Dylan on 2010/01/18 at 7:47 PM

In completely unrelated news, Algeria did not make it out of the group in the African Nations Cup. Good/Bad/Indifferent? I don’t know I didn’t get to see any of the games but, can’t imagine that does good things for their confidence going into the World Cup. Anybody get a peek at the play from them?

• Posted by Dylan on 2010/01/18 at 7:50 PM

Well looks like I’m an idiot. Algeria did make it out although I don’t know what the tie breaker was, I thought it would be Goal difference but not so..

• Posted by MichaelN on 2010/01/18 at 7:55 PM

I think Algeria actually made it out of the group based head-to-head results with Mali, even though their goal differential was worse. That being said, I caught their first and third game – and was not overly impressed. Pretty much established what we already knew: they may be the weakest African nation who qualified. They struggled mightily on set-pieces, so that might be something to look for in June

21. Posted by bw on 2010/01/19 at 12:53 PM

man, they must be going to 2nd and 3rd opinions on this one. maybe it’s one of those things where he can have surgery now, miss the cup but be back for next season OR wait to see if heals, keep cup hopes alive but if it doesn’t heal he’ll have to go under the knife later and miss the 1st half of next season.

22. Posted by bw on 2010/01/19 at 3:30 PM

Clint is IN?? No surgery, expected to return prior to end of EPL season…. http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/January/DempseyInjuryUpdate.aspx

23. Posted by MichaelN on 2010/01/19 at 4:15 PM

There is a god!!!!

24. Posted by Matt B on 2010/01/19 at 7:27 PM

Dear David Moyes,

As you may have noticed, we have been having some injury issues lately. As a man who employs Arteta and Saha, I’m sure you can understand the situation. First, Charlie Davies almost dies in a car accident. Then Oguchi Onyewu blows out his knee on a non-contact play. Then Jay Demerit lost a few months due to an eye infection. Now Clint Dempsey hurt his knee in a rather harmless play. In fact, you currently have our 2 most important players in your squad, and if they get hurt, we’re completely sunk. So if you could just wrap up Timmy and Landon up in bubble wrap for the next 4 months or so, that would be great.

Sincerely,

Bob “Sweatpants” Bradley

• Posted by KL on 2010/01/20 at 11:36 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Maybe we should insist on some film as well. Packing peanuts wouldn’t be a bad idea either. And just for safe measure 3 miles of tape on every joint.

25. Posted by Gino on 2010/01/19 at 7:56 PM

Good news, I think. There seemed to be a lot between the lines that’s open to interpretation. I guess it’s good for the Nats and not as bad as it could have been for Fulham. Hope Clint’s fit in time for the May minicamp, although I would have liked to see him start at forward against the Netherlands. Looks like some players will get more time to audition at forward and right mid.

26. Clinton is a resilient young man. I will hope for the best, and expect the worst. Perhaps this would be a good time to make a strong cup of tea.