Quick Note: Stu Officially Bolton

Holden news..Davies major news...giddy-up!

The official release should come either this evening or first thing tomorrow

Stu Holden officially a Bolton Wanderer through 2010.

With the Charlie news, the Gooch news, Kenny Cooper donning the light blue for 1860, heck even the Brad Davis and Alejandro Bedoya news from Saturday, it’s a little upswing for the U.S.

The official release courtesy of courtesy of the Haptonstall Group and StuHolden.com:

Stuart Holden today signed a contract to play with the Bolton Wanderers of the English Premier League through the end of the 2009-10 season.

“I am very happy to have the chance to play for Bolton in one of the greatest leagues in the world,” Holden said. “It is exciting to have this type of opportunity and I’m looking forward to being a Bolton Wanderer.”

Holden, 24, spent the past four seasons with the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer during a time in which the team twice won the MLS Cup (2006 & 2007). As a regular starter at attacking central midfield for the Dynamo in 2009, Holden recorded six goals and four assists. His five game-winning goals were the most in the MLS.

Also in 2009, Holden made his first appearance for the United States National Team. He scored two goals for the US in the Gold Cup and was in the starting line-up for the team’s final two World Cup qualifiers.

“I’d like to thank the fans in Houston for all the support they have given me during the past four years,” Holden said.” This was the hardest decision I’ve had to make in my career, but at the end of the day I felt it was the right time to test myself at the highest level. I will always feel a part of the Dynamo family and I’ve learned so much playing under Dominic Kinnear and his coaching staff. I would also like to thank all my teammates for their continued support on and off the field, without them none of this would have been possible. I am looking forward to watching them win another MLS Cup this year.”

Currently Bolton has a record of 4 wins, 10 losses, and 6 draws (18 points). The Wanderers next match is on Tuesday, Jan. 26, against Burnley. With a 2-0 win over Sheffield United last Saturday, Bolton has advanced to the fifth round of the prestigious FA Cup.

More on Stu Holden at TSG:

Benny Feilhaber on Stu and the EPL

Counterpoint: Why Holden Should Stay

Stu Holden: The Shin Guardian Interview

1. Posted by Brad on 2010/01/25 at 8:05 PM

Let’s hope the upswing continues with good minutes, good performances, and good health for Stu.

2. Posted by Marc on 2010/01/25 at 10:49 PM

2009 is already over…assume you mean 09-10 season

3. Posted by Joe on 2010/01/26 at 8:57 AM

Lol Matt. There is no worse feeling than being excited to watch a game and seeing a red come out and going a man down all in 17 minutes. Felt like I got H1N1 right after that.

4. Posted by bw on 2010/01/26 at 9:26 AM

this could work out well for the dynamo – maybe he comes back and plays MLS this summer ala Landon. kind of like a ‘reverse’ Beckham move.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/26 at 9:50 AM

Unless Stu fails miserably, I think his MLS days are over.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/01/26 at 12:20 PM

Matt – how do you honestly rate the US’s chances in the World Cup?

vs England
        vs Slovenia
        vs Algeria

And are you happy that the US play England first?

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/01/28 at 7:26 PM

Well first of all, he won’t fail miserably. Which sucks on a mean level, but I also don’t think this was a loan. I would have loved to see this as a loan where he comes back to start the season, but I don’t see it happening and the only club to do this is also the only club I’ve seen so far cheat their way into the MLS Cup then fail miserably to the wild card team. The only thing I can say is that it’s too bad he didn’t get to win an MLS Cup as a starter. If I were in his position I wouldn’t leave after going out like that. I guess I just hold grudges too long, but I won’t budge in my Galaxy opinion.

5. Posted by Dylan on 2010/01/26 at 11:05 AM

Will he play today? He has been training with them, I really hope so.

6. Every time an American player moves to a club in the top division of England, Germany, Italy, or Spain, I worry that their career will be like the Jovan Kirovski tour of European reserve squads. It’s not that I believe that our players lack quality. I believe that they are denied chances to display it. I hope Holden flourishes at the Reebok, and maybe sways a few more opinions to the positive regarding the quality of American footballers in general.

7. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/01/26 at 2:32 PM

I think most fans don’t look at the player’s passport when deciding whether a player is good or not. I think that Keller, Jones, Reyna, McBride, Wynalda, Freidel have done positive things for US football. And now you have a new generation making a name for themselves in the top leagues. I think personally, that clown Lalas was the worst thing for US football after USA94 and the establishment of the MLS.

As an Englishman, I personally think you have a few very good players, but the issue IMO is the lack of depth, and reliance on Dempsey and Donovan offensively. Also, I did not think that Bradley was the man to take the US forward after Arena, and nothing has changed my mind…

8. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/01/26 at 2:34 PM

@George — I’ll follow up this week on your question above.

George / Charles — We’ve got a piece tomorrow on Americans Abroad…should spark a great discussion….

9. [...] has moved over to the EPL with Bolton.  Despite the lack of “star” power, is Holden good enough to secure a spot in the 18 and then [...]

10. Posted by Kevin on 2010/01/28 at 7:29 PM

Can anyone tell me when Bolton’s next game is so I can catch it?