Haven’t done a random, non-scripted piece in awhile…but I have a bunch of things in my mind and maybe they start some productive conversations in the comments section:
There...I've done it again...I've inserted a picture of Landon instead of the Clintinator
• While blogs show pictures of Donovan supporters and folks revel in the chants of ” USA, USA, USA” I can’t help, but wonder if Clinton Drew Dempsey were a bit more charismatic if the heaps of praise lavished on Landon would have already been earmarked some time ago for Deuce….especially overseas. Seems, I don’t know, just odd to me, the fanfare around Donovan when Demps has been doing it for awhile and was really coming on this year.
• I’ve mentioned it before and maybe I’m putting too much stock in well-delivered answers, but I’m looking for Sacha Kljestan to be a contributor. You have to think that Kljestan is on the cusp of the South African team…but if he gets his form he could challenge for a role with Stuie on the right side if Clint is up top as is now expected.
• I am giddy like an….like an…I don’t know NBA 1st round pick in a strip joint after the draft about our beer piece dropping tomorrow…just an excellent panel of experts helped us out. Thank you in advance.
• It’s been nearly 100 days since the Charlie Davies 9th minute salute…and where do we stand on strikers? CD9 is flicking a ball (“Push It, Charlie…we need you!), according to the aforementioned Kljestan.
From Group 1 of our “With Davies In Repair, Who Strikes?” piece, we almost lost Dempsey to injury and Altidore is starting sporadically with the mercurial Amr Zaki arriving on the scene.
From Group 2, Conor Casey looks like a lock for the team and has a shot at starting. Group 3 inclusions, Kenny Cooper and Brian Ching, seem semi-permanently and permanently out of the picture.
"You should be getting your boarding passes in the mail any day now..." (courtesy: Matt Mathai)
Group 4…holy smokes I just realized I forgot a Group 4. Sorry guys.
Group 5 has seen Bob Bradley kick the tires of Eddie Johnson and Robbie Findley with more expected of Findley. Rolfe and Adu, also included in the group have not factored and may never. My money is on Rolfe over Adu for those that have not shown.
Group 6 was all Jeff Cunningham …and…he…is… slowly…making…his…case.
Group 7 included Marcus Tracy, a camp injury casualty and Preston Zimmerman…not summoned.
More feedback as we get closer here.
Check out the latter columns of the “Who Strikes?” series. Part II and Part III.
Part III is one of my favorite pieces I’ve written….wait, did I say that out loud?
• Shout out to Rico Clark….without spoiling a forthcoming World Cup piece….we owe you some pub. A big move over to the Bundesliga, message boards lit up overseas with your praises, and the Germans even labeling you Rambo. More shortly Rico…TSG owes you some love. (Thanks Evan for the link.)