Hull hosts Chelsea: Drogba Sr. vs. Drogba Jr.?

Hull City entertains Ancelotti’s minions today in a make-up of a game called by weather a few weeks ago.

Altidore registering an assist to V of H on Saturday

Should be an entertaining one as:

♦ Didier Drogba Sr. is back for the interlopers.

We had this to say a few weeks back:

• Might England’s nasty weather have cost Jozy his EPL job next year?

What if Hull City gets relegated by one point? Why do we ask?

Well, the Tigers were all set to square of with Chelsea at KC Stadium last Saturday a few weeks ago in  a  game that is now rescheduled for a later date. That would have been a Chelsea side severely weakened by the loss of Essien, Drogba, Kalou, Obi Mikel to the Cup of Nations tourney and with Nicolas Anelka only a probable, but not definite, set to return from injury.

A less than Herculean task to compete against that Blues squad? Should Hull get relegated by a point and lose that Chelsea return, they might curse mother nature.

♦ We’ll hopefully get a mini-preview of June 12th as Drogba Jr, Jozy Altidore, goes up against John Terry or Alex Cole or both.

A cluttered attack sees Craig Fagan, new recruit Amr Zavi, Jan Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, Kamil Ghilas and Altidore all battle for spots up top but it might be difficult to keep Big Jeezy out of the line-up after he registered two assists Saturday to move his name to #17 overall in assists for the Barclays.

1. Posted by KL on 2010/02/02 at 7:43 AM

Can’t wait to see Jozy post up on Terry, make the spectacular turn and put on in the corner to put Hull up 1-0. After I get the satisfaction of seeing him prove he can go up against the best in the world, I hope my Blues storm back for a 3-1 victory. Sorry Hull, gotta see my Blues finish at the top of the ladder.

2. Is Altidore really Drogba Jr. or is he more like Emile Heskey Jr.?

As TSG helpfully points out, it’s been 151 days since Altidore last had a chance to perform the stanky leg which is more time than it took for Charlie D to go from “just lucky to be alive” to “jogging and agility training”. Seems like Jozy had an uptick in form last time out which indicates he’s settling into the league and the team and fighting for his spot with the new arrivals.

Hull aren’t the greatest side in Premier League history but the young lad needs to start finding net on occasion. A return of 3-5 goals in his first premier league season at the tender age of 20 would in fact be very respectable.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/02 at 7:53 AM

Our hopes are drogba. And arguably right now you can call Heskey Altidore Jr.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/02 at 9:27 AM

You cannot compare Drogba and Heskey, they’re two different players. I will concede that Drogba is also brilliant at stretching the derence / dragged defenders out of position for the midfield to exploit (which is why England will never start with Crouch, he’s too static, as a lot of our play / goals come from midfielders timing their runs in the box), but that is it. I would love England to have Drogba – he’s a perfect “No. 9″. How frightening would that be – Rooney and Drogba as your forward line? Sorry, I dream…

Altidore more like Heskey VIII rather than Jr – for all of Heskey’s faults and lack of goals / finishing, he does make Rooney (and England) tick, and has proved it at Premiership and International level. But it will be good to see how he is, holding the ball up, playing others in, running the channel. But whatever happens, he will need support as you cannot expect him to do it alone against a back four full of seasoned Internationals.

I cannot see Altidore troubling Terry, IF Terry plays like he did on Saturday. He was brilliant. The only criticism was the needless yellow card he picked up.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/02 at 9:56 AM

Going to disagree here George…I think Drogba–this year specifically–and Heskey are extremely different players with different methodologies but they serve the same role.

They just get it done in different ways.

Drogba this year more than ever is relied on–like Altidore has been for the past few games–to play a withdrawn role and initiate the offense through reception, attack and then distribution usually to Anelka.

Heskey doesn’t have the threat of the attack as much and is prone to make a forward run off the ball but achieves similar results.

Tough debate here without really structuring the debate.

Altidore over the past few games has turned both Gary Cahill and Nemanja Vidic…to say that he will not at least off some challenges to Terry.

Terry was “fine” Saturday…playing a hurting Burnley team and being unmarked for a header.
        Stricly on the field, I, in general, feel that Terry is overrated.

I would much rather have a fit Ledley King pair a fit Rio Ferdinand in the middle if I were England.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/02 at 10:11 AM

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree.

It’s not Terry’s fault that Burney didn’t ask the right questions, he still didn’t put a foot wrong. I don’t think he’s overrated, but I’d love to see him brought down a peg or three… but that’s not for footballing reasons.

Agreed. If it wasn’t for his knees, Ledley King would be the first choice centre back for England, end of story The guy is unbelievable. Woodgate is pretty good too, but it’s always a question of “if they were fit they’d be (fill in the blanks)”

• I’m not saying Drogba and Heskey are similar, rather they are disimilar. I’m not saying Heskey isn’t a good player, he’s just a striker that works hard for the team but doesn’t score that many goals. Drogba’s game has expanded enormously since he first came to the premier league and terrorized defenders through sheer force and he’s now one of the top strikers in the world.

As for John Terry, he’s a very good defender but always seems less assured for England than he does for Chelsea. But I suppose having Rio Ferdinand standing next to you can be quite disorienting.

3. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/02 at 10:16 AM

@GeorgeCross — another classic line: It’s not Terry’s fault that Burnley didn’t ask the right questions.

Agreed…which gets back to my point on the “150 days” piece in that John Terry is a threat if you make him one…but he’s not going to dominate if you account for his abilities…which I think the stats show over the past few years.

I’ll end with this–stealing the thunder of my “10 Defenders to Watch World Cup piece….” coming next week:

Chelsea with Essien in the line-up: 9 goals conceded in 15 games
    Chelsea without Essien in the line-up: 10 goals conceded in 9 games

Essien is the straw that stirs it.

Last year, as well Chelsea won more games without Terry in the line-up than they did with him:

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/02 at 10:54 AM

I still think Terry is great at winning the first ball. He may not be a ball playing centre back, but at Chelsea he as Carvalho, and England he has Ferdinand. Just like other positional pairings, the centre back pairing is a balance too, after all – you probably would not pair Terry and Carragher togther as they’re far too similar (I’d argue that Carragher is a watered down version). It would be smashing if he had more pace, but perhaps I am being greedy. Look at the great centre back pairings in modern football (not saying Terry is as good) – eg Desailly and Blanc, Nesta and Cannarvaro.

I think that Perez made a huge mistake by letting Makélélé go. He was more interested in assembling his Galaticos and didn’t appreciate his abilities. Makélélé was probably the most important and yet least appreciated midfielder at Madrid- and a lot of players have come out and said so. Madrid’s loss was Chelsea’s gain – a shrewd bit of business. My point: world class defensive midfielders are worth their weight in gold (look at how many players have tried and failed to fill the void of Keane and Viera).

4. Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/02/02 at 11:15 AM

Chelsea as proven the past few weeks were not severely weakened during the African nations cup. They scored 12 goals in three games and gave up 3. I hate them but they have a very deep squad. Yes Essien, Drogba etc.. make them much better but they are certainly not weakened without them.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/02 at 11:26 AM

True, but they have played the “mighty’ Sunderland, Preston and Birmingham (I think Le Sulk’s left shoe lace is worth more money than the aggregate value of their squads), so it’s hardly a triumphant statement – more that they lucked out with the fixture list.

5. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/02 at 5:33 PM

@GeorgeCross

In reply to: “Sorry if you feel that you’re repeating yourself to me.”

Not at all….we’re trying to make legacy columns easier to find on our site within this limited template….and with keeping the site with a clean look and feel.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/02 at 5:37 PM

OK cool. I feel that a few of my recent comments you may have written about, but at least we’re on the same bandwidth on a few things…

6. Posted by Red Bull of Soccer on 2010/02/02 at 9:27 PM

I expected a lot more from this game. They would have dont a great deal better if they were at full strength.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/02 at 9:32 PM

Dear Mr. Red Bull of Soccer:

The TSG community is a strong community, a proud community.

We respect each other and we offer valid opinion typically with data backing up.

You continue to attempt to spam our community with your worthless fodder with the hopes that your “link” to your content spam site will survive and be clicked.

Got news for you….

Keep trying….but it’s not going to happen.

I’ve approved your comment this time in the hopes that you will now give up and take your bogus comments somewhere else. I’ve conveniently scrubbed your post of the link to your site as well.

Both teams were at full strength buddy.

You get our first “Kick Flip To The Face” in since September: