Feb Camp: USMNT Roster for El Salvador

Orozco, back in the mix for Coach Sweatpants

Via USSoccer.com

GOALKEEPERS: Troy Perkins (D.C. United), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Zach Thornton (Chivas USA).

DEFENDERS: Kevin Alston (New England Revolution), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Omar Gonzalez (Los Angeles Galaxy), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Michael Orozco (Philadelphia Union), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC).

MIDFIELDERS: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas), Chris Pontius (D.C. United), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew).

FORWARDS: Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake).

Thoughts:

• Response to some good questions below:

ο On competition level: Likely similar to Honduras who brought a lot of youngsters but also Pavon, Espinova and Palacios (younger). TSG will do some research here.

ο On the Netherlands: You’ll likely get 80% different players. International players are not available for Feb 24th…it’s not a sanctioned friendly day I don’t believe. The game is also in Amsterdam. You’ll see players from this squad with a shot for WC 2010.

• It certainly looks like we’re down to Casey v. Ching for back-up holding striker and Cunningham v. Findley for the speed option–independent Charlie Davies stature.

• Not really sure what Orozco means yet. He started a game I believe early in qualifying as in 2008 early…he is in shape though.

• Does our midfield for this one look as follows: Rogers, Kljestan, Beckerman, Davis or does Dax find his way in there at the whistle?

• Would bet some money that Alston–who battled injuries in Jan Camp–gets playing time here and maybe even starts over Wynne….but could go either way…

1. Posted by Mark T on 2010/02/04 at 12:38 PM

Interesting to me…

– Orozco back on the radar
    – Jimmy Conrad off the radar…which paves way for Gonzo to get some run
    – Is Ching back inthe conversation after three unimpressive outings by Casey?
    – all three pale ales namesake made the camp

2. Posted by Joe on 2010/02/04 at 12:44 PM

Thank you for leaving Conrad off the list but its just as bad by having Ching possibly getting time. double edged sword.

3. Posted by bw on 2010/02/04 at 12:49 PM

wow….anyone know the caliber of squad these guys will be lining up against? is this a set-up for more frustration and disappointment? will it be a completely new squad the next week in holland, or would some of these plays carry over?

4. Posted by Dylan on 2010/02/04 at 12:58 PM

100% MLS camp.

Gonzo getting the start in the middle (please!)
    Looks like wynne will get another look
    This will be a big moment for one of those strikers to make a case. Maybe the last moment for most of them.

5. I hope the Starting XI looks something like this:

GK – Perkins
    D – Alston, Gonzalez, Marshall, King Jonothan
    M – Davis, Dax, Sacha, Rogers
    F – Casey, Findley

It’s a young/inexperienced roster, but this game is about someone stepping up and staking a claim for a spot on the National Team roster for years to come.

• Posted by fropa98 on 2010/02/04 at 2:22 PM

You have to start Cameron over Dax imo.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/04 at 2:32 PM

@fropa98 – from my observations, two things:

1) They play different positions — so they are not competing for the same spot 2) Your wingers for this contest are Rogers and Davis unless Bradley tests out Kljestan outside again (that would likely mean Dax is in the middle) 3) I’d like to see Cameron on the backline — his game is just not polished enough for midfield yet at the international level — just my opinion here. Does he have the goods to move the ball and make “that” pass and threaten the goal in Bradley’s system — I’m not sure just yet.

I’d like to see Cameron start at RB if he’s getting the nod. Wynne certainly hasn’t impressed for some time now defensively.

6. Posted by Berg on 2010/02/04 at 1:20 PM

No Bedoya? I was hoping for a longer look this time around.

7. This is not an international date so clubs aren’t required to release their players. Wouldn’t chalk any absences up to anything but that for anyone that isn’t playing in MLS. The roster for the Holland friendly should be much more telling. Given the roster, I like Nick’s starting 11 above.

It seems like one of Gonzalez/Orozco will be starting with Marshall. I sure hope Bob gives Dax a start. Somehow I suspect Klejstan will be given yet another chance to show he doesn’t belong. Surely the reappearance of Brian Ching means Bob’s getting a little nervous about his options up front.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/04 at 2:25 PM

Concur– I’d like to see Gonzalez get the start….

But low and behold do not be suprised if your back line looks like this come Feb24th:

Wynne/Alston – Marshall – Bornstein – Pearce

• Posted by Berg on 2010/02/04 at 8:47 PM

No more Wynne, not this cycle at least. He needs to evolve past using solely his physical tools and I doubt he’s done so in the past month.

Trot Alston out and give him a shot, he can’t do worse than Wynne did against Hondu.

8. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/04 at 2:15 PM

@Bob — Bedoya as well as Feilhaber have commitments up north

9. Posted by fropa98 on 2010/02/04 at 2:21 PM

I understand why the international players can’t be here for this. I just don’t understand why we would call it a World Cup tune up. It has about as much claim to that for the USMNT as “My Mother the Car” has to being called entertainment.

10. I want to see a selection of USA players that didn’t get capped in the Honduras match. This may be the last chance some of the fringe hopefuls for USA have a chance to impress Bobbo. Personally hoping that Findley, Orozco, and Dax “The Ginger Ninja” McCarty impress.

11. Posted by MichaelN on 2010/02/04 at 4:05 PM

Please no Wynne starting….dude was just awful last month

• That’s very true Michael, but you can’t teach pace and Wynne has it in spades.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/04 at 4:38 PM

Hopefully you can teach angles because I’ve never seen a defender square up the offender toe-to-toe as much as Wynne did/does

12. Posted by Matt Mathai on 2010/02/04 at 9:44 PM

Perkins gets another chance to make the #3 spot his own. It’d be nice if he could get some support from his back line this time.

I’m glad to see Alston get a callup, but I doubt this is anything besides Bradley telling him that he has good potential. I think the back line is Pearce, Marshall, Gonzalez, Bornstein. (Maybe Cameron back here, but I don’t know.) I’d like to see Orozco get a look too. How many more times do we need to be shown that Wynne is not ready for this level? If he can’t cut it against Central American B sides, he will get torn to shreds by World Cup-level competition. He has speed, but so far has shown no ability to defend – that’s a bit of a liability for a defender.

Interesting group of midfielders. I’d have liked to see Bedoya, but that’ll have to wait. I believe Kljestan gets his last chance to show he belongs on the squad. I think Cameron, Rogers, Beckerman and Davis get to start. As a DC United fan, I’d like to see Chris Pontius get a runout, but I don’t think that’ll happen, even as a sub.

At forward, is redemption in the air? If so, Cunningham gets one last chance. If not, Findley gets to cement his position. The battle for the other forward spot is Casey’s to lose.

Since I’m going to be in Tampa for this match, I hope we see a better, more coherent effort than we did the last time out. The real winnowing will have begun to happen by the Netherlands game.

13. Posted by Freegle on 2010/02/05 at 7:20 PM

Anyone thinking this game should have ANY bearing on the 23 for South Africa is kidding themselves. There is should be no “last chance for Sacha” and no “breaking back into the team” for and here’s why…Nothing a player can do in a home friendly against a second tier concacaf B team should ever qualify them for a World Cup roster spot.

With that in mind, I would like to see big minutes for some new faces that could contribute during the next cycle… something like

Perkins
    Cameron, Gonzalez, Marshall, Alston
    Rogers, Gaven, Pontius, Davis
    Findley, Casey

This should be treated like a youth match. We need not be concerned about a result… it is about development. We know what Bornstein, Sacha, Ching, Pearce have to offer. They are useful in training because they know “the Bradley Way” and can help show the youngsters the ropes. But, once the match starts, throw them to the wolves. Let the new kids play. Please.

After all, they can do no worse than that heinous Honduras performance.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/05 at 8:43 PM

@Freegle

Welcome to TSG….and respectfully disagreeing with you. :>

While I tend to agree with this statement of yours: “Nothing a player can do in a home friendly against a second tier concacaf B team should ever qualify them for a World Cup roster spot.”

I would also say that a player”s horrendous performance against Tier 2 competition might disqualify them for a roster spot.

What is Bob Bradley preparing for? Rhetorical I know, but World Cup 2010.

He may not even be here in 2014…sure he wants to get some run for the folks that might challenge in 2014.

But he’s certainly going to get as many observations for the one or two roster spots left.

Sure Brian Ching might be able to guide camp, but why not bring in Davy Arnaud then? He knows just as much the system.

I don’t think there is an absolute in this game…it’s not black and white….80% of the players will be playing for future contributions…but Casey, maybe Ching, Findley, Cunningham…they are playing for now.

Ask yourself this question: Are Findley and Cunningham candidates for South Africa? Probably.
      Could they use a good game and want to avoid a bad one? Yes.

And this one? Who is our potential 4th interior midfielder should Rico or Michael Bradley go down?
      Holden…he’s looking like a winger on USMNT? With no Jermaine Jones and without Mo Edu actually playing more than 180 minutes in the new year….Sacha among others still have a sliver of hope.

I’m not sure you prepare for 2014 with observations left for 2010.