JOLAZO…Altidore Finally Gets One

Jozy! Jozy! Jozy!

—–

The Jolazo: Date Included T-Shirt

If you feel so inclined, why not send a little help Haiti’s way in celebration of this big day for the big man. SOS – Saving Ourselves – Help for Haiti. Or if you want to commemorate the day, grab one of these JOLAZO t-shirts with all proceeds above the Zazzle cost (10%) going to Haiti.

—–

Time to reset the Altidore Goal Watch meter back to zero. The US striker finally broke through to net his first goal in over twenty contests as Hull took down Manchester City, 2-1.

Big Jeezy had it going on early today drawing two yellow cards on the City defense in the first 12 minutes of the contest. And he didn’t let up in a strong 66-minute performance.

In the 31st, Jozy calmly deposited a lay-off pass from Jan VofH in the back right corner of the net from the top of the 18 for his first EPL goal.

Altidore was then swarmed by his teammates and beaten about the head and chest in celebration.

The striker’s last goal celebration took place way back on September 5, 2009 versus El Salvador.

Little did anyone know at the time that we wouldn’t see Jozy hit the scoresheet under the “G” category for 154 more days. Nor did we think that his puzzling disallowed goal in the second half of that contest would be so foreboding.

May this be the first of many, many more in 2010, Jozy!

Here is  Altidore talking about the match on BBC Sport.

1. Posted by kaya on 2010/02/06 at 9:36 AM

Nice call, guys.

2. Time to remove the “days since” counter! woo hoo!

3. Posted by bw on 2010/02/06 at 10:40 AM

damn why did I sleep through this one. and of course, of all the games that get replayed this isn’t on of them. oh well. it was a great finish bending it in. he made the most of it as that lay off was pretty much directly to back at him and set him up to hit it straight at the defender. well done jozy!

4. Posted by Joe on 2010/02/06 at 11:31 AM

Lol am I supposed to believe that I am dreaming when I wake up to see Hull City celebrating a goal around Jozy??? I didn’t think it was true at all until I saw a replay! Hahahaha. Crazy day. Hope its not another 154 days for the next one!!!! Jolazooooooo!

5. Posted by K.M. Morris on 2010/02/06 at 11:43 AM

I say keep the “days since” counter up. It was clearly a major motivating factor in today’s goal.

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/02/06 at 11:46 AM

Good idea. We’ll keep a JOLAZOmeter in the sidebar. Hopefully it won’t every approach triple digits again.

• haha im just disappointed that Jozy watch just didn’t say zero days and you just let everyone put the rest together

6. Posted by patrickhattrick on 2010/02/06 at 12:36 PM

Wow, this goal was so perfect it looked like I was playing FIFA 10. Especially with the curve. GO JOLAZO!

7. also, i am overjoyed. its funny cuz i woke up this morning, and thought to myself, OH YEAH, I JUST KNOW JOZZZZYYYYYYY scored. and he did. now if i can only do that tomorrow but along the lines of finding a large sack of money.

8. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 5:47 PM

He only scored against Man. City. Not a big deal.

Not like he’s going to do it in June or July – even if FBM waves his magic wand…

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/02/06 at 6:27 PM

George, this is just another step on the road to the American Premier League.

• Posted by bw on 2010/02/06 at 6:33 PM

c’mon george – don’t hate, congratulate.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/06 at 6:57 PM

Hey, I wouldn’t worry George…he’s just a 20-year old striker who goes 180 – 190 lbs who crossed over the starting Ivory Coast center back for the past 10 years and earned a yellow card against, ate up defenders, and scored on an end-around.

Did I mention he just recently reached the starting 11 and he’s playing on a team with much less talent than most EPL teams and very little service?

I wouldn’t worry about a thing…

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/06 at 7:00 PM

…and for the record…I’ve been a fan of his performances for months while others hated….

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 7:04 PM

It was an extremely good finish (I alreasy said that).

However, he’s the one who is supposed to do the hold up play for the US.

PS I would have scampered across and saved it!

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/02/06 at 10:54 PM

actually George, Connor will do/would be doing/does all or most of our hold up play, especially when he and the Jolazinator are on the field at the same time. Jozy is much more diverse (see last Costa Rica match)

9. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 7:06 PM

From Jozy Jukes:

Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 5:39 PM

I’m finally here, after drinking since 10:45 am.

I saw Jozy’s goal. Great approach play, nice holiding up and beautiful lay-off. Altidore’s finish was perfect – low, hard and placed in the corner, Given had no chance.

10. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/06 at 7:07 PM

Ha – giving you a hard time George — kind of tough to talk Jozy when Rooney is approaching top 5 in the world if not there already….

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 7:13 PM

Rooney? Who is he? I’d much rather have Altidore. No, wait, I meant Casey. No, Cunningham. No Ching. No Findley…

11. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/06 at 7:10 PM

I don’t know if you saw this column — but I would probably trade you Jozy Altidore and Clint for Rooney (thought that ain’t happening)….

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 7:20 PM

No way Matthew – Defoe is our Fox in the Box.

Once Heskey has loosened up Onyewu and DeMerit, and they’re knackered, on comes lively Defoe to score a hatrick in the last fifteen minutes!

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/02/06 at 7:27 PM

This is going to be an enjoyable five months, George. I hope you stick around for the long haul.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 7:57 PM

Mark, I am here, don’t you worry about that!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 8:04 PM

So, the wife and I fly out to SA on 14th June. I think one of us will be pissed off. It’s going to be a long flight for her…

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/02/06 at 10:57 PM

Once [Altidore] has loosened up [Ferdinand] and [Terry], and they’re knackered, on comes lively [Davies] to score a hatrick in the last fifteen minutes!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/07 at 3:29 AM

Mate, Davies couldn’t score in a brothel!

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/02/07 at 11:53 AM

Hoo Hoo Hoo here lies the banter! Now if this said “brothel” was an international one, Davies would be scoring for FREE! Now tell me, when was Defoe’s last international score? If you can answer that question, decide if it was against a real opponent(El Tri, Egypt. . Bleh)

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/07 at 2:37 PM

I believe he came off the bench and score twice against the Netherlands, probably the form team (along with Spain) in Europe. US play them on 3/3, so we’ll see how you guys do…

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/02/07 at 2:52 PM

You forgot the date mate. But that’s ok I’ll look it up.

3/3 = the shiniest measuring stick of all, unless the 3 day tournament is confirmed. Although it’s supposedly against sub-par opponents, at least I get to see my favorite non-U.s. Player, Kazim Kazim. Man was a beast possessed in Euro 2008

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/07 at 2:59 PM

Colin’s a very Turkish name indeed…

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/07 at 3:01 PM

12th Aug. vs Netherlands (2 goals).

5th Sept. vs Slovenia (1 goal).

12. Posted by Ryan R. on 2010/02/06 at 7:30 PM

Even before he scored today, I think his form, or lack thereof to some, was overstated. Take a look at our neighbors to the south and how their “young stars” are doing. Dos Santos is on loan and ineffective again, while Vela has been stuck in neutral for about a year. Jozy was struggling to find the back of the net, but coming into the match, only Hunt had been involved in more goals for Hull this season. Jozy was getting plenty of time for a Premier League club and making an impact. Obviously, a striker has to score goals, but it wasn’t as if Jozy was ineffective or saw his progress stagnate.

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/02/06 at 7:34 PM

Absolutely agree, Ryan. While it hasn’t been a straight upward trajectory, Jozy has improved greatly since joining Hull in August. The Goal Watch was instituted purely from a “striker has to score goals” viewpoint.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/06 at 8:02 PM

It is not just about HIS goal scoring, it’s whether the team wins. Sure, it would be nice for Altidore scores more, but if he plays in those around him and doesn’t score, that would be fine, right?

Anyway, I see Howard made a holwer and Donovan went missing today when they needed to be counted.

• Posted by KMac on 2010/02/08 at 2:55 AM

George, while Howard should have done better, IMHO Phil Neville should have been goal side instead of the opposite. Did you watch the game? Donovan absolutely shredded his man a few times (pass inside with a run around his man to cross). Missing Fellaini did not help Everton – Arteta seemed to move the ball a bit slowly through the center from my perspective and not utilize the wing play as much – no service equals “went missing”.

13. Posted by Mark T on 2010/02/06 at 7:48 PM

I just updated the post with a link to an Altidore post-match interview. I know Jozy’s been in the spotlight for some time now, but he has to be among the most media polished 20-year-old professional athletes around.

• Posted by Evan on 2010/02/06 at 9:36 PM

Jozy has always come off as very mature to me even with all the expectations that have been placed upon him. He has certainly dealt with the pressure much better then Freddy Adu has/is.

14. Posted by Bob on 2010/02/06 at 9:48 PM

I had to work today so I missed all the games, but then came home to this happy news. As soon as I could, I went to youtube to watch Rivers Cuomo’s My Time is Coming. He wrote it just after the 2006 WC disaster. I really wish he would do an update and then we could adopt the song as ournational team soccer song.

Also, according to goal.com, Donovan was the best Everton player today … so all I got to say is “Our Time is Coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/06 at 9:52 PM

Bob — given our new and improved site…you can actually check out that video already up under our USMNT Videos section under the USMNT section of our Wold Cup category…

That being said…I thought the song was somewhat humorous, but respect those who enjoy it.

Should I change the summary of it?

• Posted by Bob on 2010/02/06 at 10:20 PM

LOL. You guys are awesome! Of course the song is sappy, but that’s what makes it great imo. Let’s face it …. “You’ll Never Walk Alone” is sappy too, but very powerful when thousands of fans are singing it to their team.

Also, you gotta love a song that harmonizes the words Steve Churundolo, Brian Ching, and Carlos Bocanegra. That’s awesome stuff! LOL.

I just really like the message, albeit a sappy one, and cannot wait until June.

I recently heard an SI podcast where Rivers talks about the song and was very sincere when he wrote it so I think he would disagree that it is “straight humor.” But, music is very subjective so I would leave the description alone as it is your take on the song and that’s fine.

Keep up the good work … you guys are awesome! And so is Jozy Altidore, and Landon Donovan, and Tim Howard …. see I can’t wait!

15. Posted by Free Beer Movement on 2010/02/07 at 11:10 AM

Agreed TSG. I hope that George sticks around here. Love the US v England banter. Good to see both sides up for the match ESP our boys.

I might wish for that wand but I’m Usa to the death! No matter what! Even if we have Casey!

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/08 at 7:58 AM

FBM – I am here. A bit of harmless banter never hurt anybody.

KMAC – agree 100% about Neville’s positioning. Also, have to give a little credit for the delivery, as it was pure class. But Moyes will be angry.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/02/08 at 8:02 AM

Check out our “Closing….” post where I comment on JZA and Neville’s positioning.

Absolutely farsical was Neville’s defending…I explain why there.

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/08 at 8:20 AM

I also mentioned that he should have been goal-side during the match commentary.

• Posted by KMac on 2010/02/08 at 10:20 PM

George, No denying the pure class of the service. We are truly two countries separated by a common language, and equal love of the game and respect for great play. Cheers.
        KMac

16. Posted by Arcticules on 2010/02/07 at 11:33 AM

Thanks, Mark, for adding that interview. That said more to me about his progress than the goal itself. He is so restrained and level-headed about it — it shows that his mental game is as strong as his physical one. That, more than anything, is why Altidore has so much potential. Isn’t it funny how he is picking up an English accent. When he did that CNN interview about Haiti a month back, I did not notice it, but it was very strong during the post-game. Good stuff.

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/02/08 at 12:05 AM

You’re welcome.

The one thing that always stand out in interviews and tweets is that Jozy always talks about the team first and himself second (or third). Gotta love that.

17. Damn I’m a good prognosticator. http://theshinguardian.com/2010/02/04/late-night-ponderings-we-need-answers/#comment-4818

Let’s hope my crystal ball is working for the World Cup…

18. Posted by Dylan on 2010/02/07 at 11:50 AM

I just heard Jozy scored another goal today!! Two in two days!!

19. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/08 at 8:24 AM

MatthewFS – I am looking to go to a few NY games this year – I’ll do some scouting on the fringe MLS players trying to get a spot on that 23-man squad…

20. [...] the best day for USMNT soccer fans of 2010 to date, Landon Donovan makes his Liverpool derby debut. Altidore outdoes him by causing havoc for Kolo Toure and friends and knocking home his first goal of… as the Tigers trample Manchester City. [...]