Jose Francisco Torres Strikes From Distance

JFT is currently "Flying Standby" for trip to SA with the USMNT.

Most of the American soccer community is waking up to the hype around former American wunderkind Freddy Adu’s first club goal in three years and first overall goal since last summer’s Gold Cup.

Congratulations Freddy, keep working.

Moving on to someone actually in the national team conversation, here is the free kick strike by Jose Francisco Torres in Pachuca’s 5-3 win over Puebla.

The USMNT midfielder is currently Flying Standby in TSG’s latest piece on which Americans are heading to South Africa in June.

The goal from about 30 yards out comes at the 2:05 mark in the video.

Quick aside: The nickname of Adu’s team, Aris’ translates in English to God of War…that’s pretty awesome. Since TSG likes nicknames, not sure how we missed that previously.

1. Posted by Dylan on 2010/02/15 at 8:55 AM

Torres impresses me more and more every time I see him. I’d really like him to get some real minutes come March 3rd. I wouldn’t mind seeing him pair in the midfield for the second 45. He really seems as though he brings noticeable offense to the pitch.

2. I agree that I want to see more of Torres with the A-Team attacking the opposition (instead of just counter-attacking) and not in garbage minutes.

As for Freddy Adu, I still remain skeptical until he does everything more consistently. However, he’s apparently regaining some form, and if he’s in-form come decision day for Bradley, he’ll pose an interesting issue as his offensive skill set is only matched by Deuce the current player pool. People will point to Donovan who’s a great player to be sure, but he is mainly speed and needs options in order to be the most effective, but Freddy and Deuce provide the creatvity aspect in 1v1 situations that isn’t seen elsewhere.

Like I said, I’m not sold on him yet, but hopefully he’ll start living up to his potential (not Nike, adidas, or Sierra Mist’s potential for him) and start giving Sweatpants some selection headaches. The more headaches, the better for the team.

3. Posted by Matt B on 2010/02/15 at 11:49 AM

It’s looking a lot better for Torres to start against Netherlands right now. Edu and Clark are out injured, and Feilhaber just hurt his ankle in practice. As much as I want to see Torres start, I kinda wish it was due to his form only, and not all these injuries.

4. Posted by MichaelN on 2010/02/15 at 12:20 PM

Torres just looked so good after coming on against Costa Rica….and I’d like to echo the above comments and suggest we see plenty of him March 3rd.

• Torres was terrible against Costa Rica, that is why he only played the first 45 minutes. He was directly at fault for their first two goals and his defensive ineptitude is why he doesn’t get regular minutes for the USMNT.

• Posted by MichaelN on 2010/02/15 at 1:07 PM

to clarify….i was referring to the final qualifying match at home in Washington, D.C. against Costa Rica – not the abomination in CR. Torres came on a substitute, and received glowing reviews, including this from TSG:

“Torres earned the opportunity and didn’t disappoint. He became a missing link on offense and was heavily involved after being inserted for Feilhaber in the 62nd minute. Did you see when he instructed the younger Rogers to get in the box on his 83rd min (I believe) cross?”

• Ah right, I remember that one and you are correct. Torres was very calm on the ball and added a lot going forward. My bad I thought you were referring to the other game.

• I loved the work Torres did in that game, but it has to be noted that Costa Rica was playing the prevent defense which allowed our midfield a lot more time on the ball. That being said, he did find ways to break down the bunkered in Ticos.

5. That video is almost unwatchable due to stutter. Is that just me?

6. Posted by B-Mac on 2010/02/15 at 1:19 PM

With Benny’s recent injury, I definitely think JFT should be in the starting line-up against Holland. Here’s who I’d like to see Coach Sweatpants trot out against the Orange.

———Jozy——-Findley——-
    Donovan–JFT—Bradley Jr.—–Holden
    Bornstein—Boca—Demerit—Spector

Tough calls at forward and defense. I think you got to see if Findley can recapture some of the Davies magic that he shared when playing with Jozy. At defense, I think Johnny B’s form against Honduras has earned him a start. Not sure I love Boca at CB though, I wouldn’t mind if Bradley didn’t start him and instead gave a guy like Goodson a chance to prove himself.

• I don’t think there is any way Findley starts unless he is amazing vs El Salvador. I think Bradley gives either Ching or Casey the start up top, but everything else seems probable.

• Posted by B-Mac on 2010/02/15 at 1:52 PM

I just don’t think Ching or Casey work with Jozy. Since Jozy isn’t going to get to play with any great all around there strikers, there seems to be two specific types of forwards that work well with him: pacey guys and a distributing target guy (e.g. a Heskey type). Just look how Jozy scored his last goal with Hull, on a nimble tough from Vengenoor of Hesselink. Casey has a terrible first touch, no way he can distribute. Ching is a bit better in that respect, but his all around mediocrity really doesn’t incline me to give him a start in this critical friendly. If Findley plays well against El Salvador, I think Bradley will be quite inclined to see if he can find a spark.

• I think we all have been harsh on Ching for a while now because of his indifferent form as of late, but we must not forget that he has had some great games for the national team in the last 4 years. He was great in the 2007 Gold Cup Final against Mexico and a lot of us forget that when Jozy scored his hat trick against Trinidad, the other starting forward was Ching. I think we all unfairly give him a bad time and he is actually a much better passer then most people think he is and this is why I think he will get the start against the Netherlands.

• You’re right, Ching was the other forward. But Donovan assisted on two, if not three of the goals (one of the goals Donovan created for Altidore out of sheer determination after Ching played a poor through ball for him).

Eddie Johnson’s first 8 games for the USMNT showed us his potential, but that doesn’t mean Sweatpants should call him in for Holland. Similarly, Ching’s good showings in the past don’t make up for his recent form.

• I’m not saying Ching is the answer to all the forward problems, just that I don’t believe there is anyone better suited then him to start right now in the USMNT pool. It is our biggest problem and we obviously need to address it, but for now he is in my opinion the best solution.

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/02/15 at 10:35 PM

I think the only options up top are Jozy and deuce or jozy and ching. I agree with Evan a bit on ching but I’d like to be the first to point point out that he hasn’t been on bad form. He had A bad game. Ching can collect and distribute decently and for sure better than casey.

@Nick while I agree that past performances dont make up for recent form, that makes no sense to your argument. You can hardly call chings last game for the USMNT recent form which turns it into a past performance. Don’t judge him on past perfmances you say… His current form is not a reflection of what went down at Azteca when just about everyone had a bad game.

7. Posted by Gino on 2010/02/15 at 4:46 PM

I wasn’t aware of Feilhaber’s injury nor did I realize Edu is in danger of missing the Holland friendly. To be honest, I think Benny should be our QB1 if Bob (ever) decides to go with just one defensive center mid. Not to say that I don’t admire Torres’ game though. If Benny, Maurice and Rico all miss the game on March 3rd, then there isn’t any other excuse for Bob to not start him there. I’d really like to see JFT on the plane to S. Africa. He has an awareness of the game that few other US players possess.

8. Posted by KMac on 2010/02/15 at 9:07 PM

Looks like CD9 is going to France waaaay ahead of schedule!!!! F-N OUTSTANDING! Go Charlie!
    see the following link with the following tweet:

CharlieDavies9
    Last Night in the US for a while. Enjoying some good home cooking. Then rehabbing like a beast in France and back on the field soon. Bless

• Posted by B-Mac on 2010/02/15 at 11:29 PM

I’m getting pretty close to penciling Davies at this point, if not for his form, for his value as a talisman to this team. I really think at this point we very well may have 2 spots up for grabs, the Casey/Ching/Cooper derby and the Findley/Cunningham/EJ derby. Take your picks out of those groupings (I’d personally go with Ching and EJ).