Wow, what a Tuesday.
You know the shootout scene in the movie Heat? That’s how I imagine every back line feels when they are going up against Wayne Rooney these days. Sweet lord of hosts, someone cool that man off before June.
Oh, and how about Seedorf’s finish (new link)? Class. Okay, on we go:
• What better way for the USMNT to warm up for the soccer version of Christmas (WC 2010), then with a game against Turkey less than a month before. Oh gosh, that was terrible before we even wrote it.
Clint, Jozy, Bobbo and crew take on Turkey, so they say, May 29th in Philadelphia.
Turkey, Netherlands, maybe more? Much better than the 2006 warm-ups against the likes of Jamaica and Latvia…good work, USSF. That’s a Hiddink-less Turkey by the way as the former Russian coach has signed on the dotted line, but isn’t in action until August.
• “Hold that plane! I’m coming!!” – The hot-cold DaMarcus Beasley warms up in a reserve game. Going to need to a do that a few times in a row in some league games against the Hibs and others before you get me jumping back on your bandwagon, DMB.
• Lots of chatter from yours truly on how Gareth Barry can be exploited by Team USA…and he goes and scores for Man City Tuesday. Damn, picked the wrong day for that one.
• More from the Daily Mirror, Vidic to AC Milan for Huntelaar? Interesting, though normally–much like you never trade a big for a small in the NBA–you never trade offense for defense in soccer.
I’m intrigued by this one though I think you can gain more from selling Vidic outright and then having a wider range of forwards/strikers to choose from.
As a fan, I’d like to see the States’ own Oguchi Onyewu man that middle at the San Siro, of course.
• Administrative: Take a look at the top right of the sidebar today…we’ve introduced the “Charlie-Stream”…so that you don’t miss a single pronouncement by CD9 on the road to WC ’10.
• FC Porto and Lou Ferrigno welcome Arsenal’s Teetering Self-Esteem to Estádio do Dragão. The Hulk at Dragon’s Stadium…that’s phenomenal. Meanwhile, the US is playing Turkey at Lincoln Financial Field in May…how elitist.
And speaking of Givanildo Vieira de Souza (“Hulk”) for Porto: Sure Ronaldhino should be given a shot at Brazil, but so should the youngsters like Hulk and Alexandre Pato who haven’t sulked at all for any of the 2009-2010 campaign.
• Bayern Munich and the dynamite wing duo of Frank Ribery and Arjen Robben, not to mention German sniper Mario Gomes, sit down for some Dunkels with Adrian Muto and Fiorentina.
Munich is on-form right now…would be great to see them return to their late ’90s form and a little bit of Champion’s League glory.
By the way, before Zlatan graced the Serie A as the Swede-in-charge, there was Sweden’s Kurt Hamrin who went 9 years, 289 appearance and a whopping 150 goals for Fiorentina in the early ’60s. Check out the clip on Hamrin in the 1958 World Cup….black-and-white…authentic.