Champ’s League: Messi, Barca, Big Russian

"I....Am.....Huge"

Video of Lionel Messi’s hat trick on March14th for Barca against Valencia.

It’s Messi, it’s Xavi…and they are already playing some seriously clinical soccer.

For Stuttgart, they counter with 7’8” 370lbs (6’2”, 200lbs)  Pavel Pogrebnyak up top also known as “the big Russian.”

It’s already live–throw your comments below–and we’re late so we’ll go to the archives one more time below…

—–

From August 7th….

As you may know TSG’s northern headquarters are in SF. This is from a fan, a true fan, at TSG North:

Chris...no..no...you're the man!

Chris...no..no...you're the man!

From Chris in San Francisco.

“I just tried to crash the Barca press conference at the Intercontinental in SF to hang with Henry, Messi et all.  Once I made it in the hotel and into the elevator I found my way to the floor hosting the press conference only to be ushered back into the elevator by hotel security. It was a good try, not great, but good. For what it is worth and those of you in SF, practice tomorrow at Kezar either at 9am or 10am.”

Nice work Chris. Do you know where they are partying tonight?

This also gives me the opportunity/excuse to insert one of my favorite “soccer” scenes of this past year.

Lionel Messi dressed up as Papa Smurf being completely hammered at Barcelona’s Champion’s League celebration.

1. Ha, love the front page love. Thanks SG peeps.

2. Posted by Mark T on 2009/08/07 at 3:47 PM

Maybe you should have refrained from wearing your “Henry Is My Homey” t-shirt.

3. [...] commentor Chris in San Francisco (the same guy who tried to befriend Messi in Fog City) just sent us this video commercial of Fifa 10 below. I don’t know if I am more excited for [...]

4. Posted by kaya on 2010/02/23 at 1:37 PM

Gawd, I wish that post wouldn’t have been there for crazy Jens. Now there’s a guy I like watching get pissy… La Pulga looks like he needs help: where’s Dani Alves?
    Delpierre (and Pique) look bigger than Pogrebnyak to me, but maybe that’s pixelation.
    What does Rotundo have to do with Olympiakos??

5. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/23 at 2:15 PM

Bordeaux are playing some nice one touch football – you would’t know that they were the away team. Blanc is doing a good job.

6. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/23 at 2:20 PM

Everytime I hear the name LuaLua, it makes me smile because it reminds me of what the late Sir Bobby Robson said – “he’s so good, they named him twice!” You don’t have to be Toon Army to appreciate that!

• Posted by kaya on 2010/02/23 at 3:24 PM

I always had a thing for Jemba-Jemba based soley on his name.
      Jon Stewart incidentally says more or less the same thing about Abdullah Abdullah (so nice they named him twice).

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/02/23 at 6:23 PM

Djemba-Djemba? Nigeria right?

• Posted by kaya on 2010/02/23 at 7:24 PM

I think he’s from Cameroon. Regardless, he’s the only thing I ever liked about Man U**
          =)

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/02/23 at 7:58 PM

Oh yea that’s right. I recently smashed Holland with Cameroon on Fifa 10 4-1. Just wanted to see those slick puma kits in action.

What about Mohamed-Mohamed? (Egypt) Zidane Zidane. Mohamed Zidane. Something.

7. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/02/23 at 3:36 PM

What a delivery and finish. Cacau just heads it firmly back across the goal. Keeper had no chance.

8. [...] Johnny “Needs To Be Better” Bornstein still over Pearce? I think you still have Bradley thinking…if I can just get that kid to cut out that one stupid foul, I know his athleticism will make up for his lack of experience. Bob is still probably captivated by Bornstein’s over-hyped half in 2007 against Lionel Messi. [...]

9. [...] Messi goes papa surf in Champ’s celebration last year. [...]