He’s Alive! He’s Real! JJ meets with BB…

Before Anti-Hair Club for Men....

....after Anti-Hair Club for Men...

Sorry, I promised myself once there was a confirmed sighting that I would let the community know.

Via Soccer By Ives, Jermaine Jones attending USMNT practice today in Amsterdam, but not training. You do–with Dolo and Gooch in tow as well–have to like Bob Bradley’s preparation.

Odd that Ricardo Clark is not present?

Do we change Jermaine Jones nickname yet?

Am I asking too many questions because I got this from Ives? Sorry Heath Pearce got me going with the knee-slappers this morning.

A short blurb from US Soccer on Jermaine Jones. They will have more comments with Jones later today.

1. Posted by Mark T on 2010/03/02 at 8:47 AM

Matt, I am going to venture that a big part of the reason guys like Gooch and Jones are in Amsterdam is because ESPN requested that they be there for the World Cup promos they are shooting this week.

If I remember correctly, the US could potentially face Germany in the second round. ESPN probably wants something on camera if Jones makes the roster and if the US happens to play Germany.

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/02 at 8:58 AM

I have to disagree with you there on that being a “big part of the reason.”

JJ is, #1 not being made available to the media.

Secondly, I doubt that the USMNT revolves their practice attendance around what ESPN wants in their promos. JJ is already in a lot of non-ESPN promo material.

Third Dolo is practicing and Gooch practiced out at HDC so there is a precedent (as well as Charlie Davies visit) for inviting non-in-form players to attend.

Very small part of the reason…part of the reason…but very small part of the reason.

By your logic, then Ricardo Clark (Bundesliga) should be there as well?

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/03/02 at 10:03 AM

Matthew, “media” is different than “marketing” and I didn’t mention ‘Dolo on purpose.

Clark doesn’t need to be there…zero marketing cache like Gooch (in US) or Jones (in Germany).

By your logic, Clark should be there, no?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/02 at 10:12 AM

How many people know Jermaine Jones in the United States *where ESPN will have the TV rights? Hello?

How many know Ricardo Clark? At least 3 + Hello….

You really think that USSF jumps to bring players in *if ESPN requested.

By those measures, we should have Charlie Davies with a private jet going to the Netherlands.

Doesn’t the BBC and iTV own the rights for the World Cup in Germany…not sure about that…but I think so.

I have a media degree….. :>

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/03/02 at 10:34 AM

BBC and iTV don’t own the rights in Germany, but neither does ESPN.

Well…there goes that theory.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/02 at 10:37 AM

Who owns the rights?

I’m not sure Jermaine Jones gets play in the United States as a “marketing piece” as much, not enough to warrant that ESPN requests he’s at USMNT camp in March.

I’m also not certain that USSF needs to really cater to ESPN.

Those were my points.

• Posted by Mark T on 2010/03/02 at 11:08 AM

As you know, I believe everything I read on wikipedia (and the internet in general).

So, according to wikipedia it is:

Free-to-air: ARD, ZDF (46 matches total), RTL (18 matches)

Satellite (pay): Sky Deutschland (all matches)

• This recurring statement about USSF not catering to ESPN….I’m not so sure about that. I wouldn’t be surprised if all soccer brass in the US don’t cater to someone. MLS is adidas’s whore, the USMNT is Nike’s but to a lesser degree. If ESPN told USSF to fly some players in for media spots, I’m sure they would and The Bob would just have to tell everyone what the deal is, which could be what he was telling Jones.

3. Ding, ding, ding. Round 1 is over, both fighters back to your corners.

4. Posted by Kevin U. on 2010/03/02 at 9:30 AM

Espn put out its top 50 Soccer Players just wondering what you guys think of there rankings….Donovan getting the number 50….i guess thats something

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/02 at 10:30 AM

It’s hard to take a list seriously that has Michael Ballack in the top 50 players world wide.

I also think that Goal.com did a little better job in unveiling their list a few months ago….I’ll take a look though.

• The writer of that piece was obviously scared that Ballack would come and stomp the life out of him like he did this past weekened. I cannot stand his big dumb German head and those crazy eyes.

5. Knowing Bob Bradley as well as we do, I think it’s safe to say that he’ll name 2 true DMs to the World Cup roster. That means Clark, Edu, Jones and, uh, Beckerman are in for two spots.

Assuming Jones is fit enough to play by seasons end, I think the first 3 get named to the provisional 35 player list that must be submitted to FIFA by May 12, 2010. After his change of affiliation, I’m sure Bob will assure him he’ll get his shot in the friendlies against Czech Republic and Turkey if he’s fit. Final 23 player list doesn’t have to be submitted until the day before the first match, on June 10. Assuming he regains fitness, Clark’s spot is secure, in my opinion. The real battle is between Edu and Jones. Just one more reason I think that Edu gets the start in CM tomorrow, despite Holden’s emergence as an option in the middle of the park.

Funny thing about the one-time change of affiliation for dual nationals – the manager of the country you’ve switched to has a lot less incentive to select a dual national player to the side than the manager of the country you’ve switched from. I think Castillo is the one who digests that lesson this cycle.

6. I’m pretty sure Clark isn’t there because Bradley wants him to get established with his club team.