Orange Wedges is TSG’s “gameday” post that is updated until kick-off.
The last international date before the World Cup features a full slate of friendlys with 70 teams taking to the pitch around the globe. Of course the game to watch will take place in Amsterdam where the United States will take on The Netherlands.
The match kicks-off from Amsterdam ArenA — the first European stadium with a retractable roof — at 11:30am Pacific on ESPN2.
The game represents the last national team data points for Bradley & Co. prior to selecting the World Cup roster. It could also be a confidence booster if the big boy squad gets a favorable result on the road against a top international side.
- For TSG’s full preview see: The USMNT’s Amsterdam Litmus Test
- Don’t look for the US to depart from their counter-attacking ways. Said Captain Carlos: “We’re going to need to show a lot of patience and discipline. We know the Dutch are good on the ball, and they’ll probably have a bit more possession than us, so we need to be patient defending but still be able to get after them in a smart way.” (quote via ESPNSoccernet)
- I believe the photos of Tuesday’s training session at the Amsterdam ArenA feature some new training gear for the MNT.
- The match will be the first for new USMNT assistant coach, Lubos Kubik. Welcome to the senior team, coach! Kubik previously served as an assistant to Peter Nowak for the 2008 U.S. Olympic squad.
- In three tries the Yanks have never scored a goal against the Oranje…look for that to change on Wednesday. The Jolazo-meter will stand at 25 days at kick-off and is looking for a reset.
- In a near complete reversal from the team that took the field last week in Tampa, the 20-man roster assembled for this friendly includes just 3 MLS players to go along with 16 from European clubs and 1 from a Mexican side.
- Speaking of jerseys, maybe someone should ask my brother why he owned and frequently wore this Holland soccer shirt in high school.
- The USMNT will don their new away jerseys for the first time that are made from recycled plastic bottles. (Which begs the question…how can a shirt that is made with some thread and six-pack of Mountain Dew sell for $70.)
- MIA from the 2009 Confederation’s Cup Roster: Robles (G), Wynne (DEF), Califf (DEF), Kljestan (MID), Adu (MID), Davies (STR…sniffle), Casey (STR)