Damn You DeJong: Stu Shelved 6 Weeks!

Holden left unprotected by the refs and down for the count by DeJong.

Stu Holden moves to Medic! status on the TSG MFI with a broken fibula courtesy of an ill-timed tackle by Nigel DeJong in yesterday’s 2-1 loss at the Netherlands. Stu will be out 6 weeks.

The tackle earned a late yellow card from the ref, but should have been a red card in TSG’s eyes.

Your thoughts?

In other news, a team of 2,500 TSG community members with baseball bats is seen mustering outside the City of Manchester Stadium.

TSG’s Match Fit Index….

1. Posted by Andy on 2010/03/04 at 6:46 AM

In general, I’m quite against workplace violence, but if Landon were to channel his inner Tonya Harding and take a pipe to De Jong’s knees I wouldn’t mind so much.

2. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/03/04 at 6:58 AM

I don’t blame DeJong for going for the somewhat loose ball – Holden didn’t have close control of it – but if you go to ground like that, you have to get the ball, which he didn’t. I don’t think there was any malice involved, but it has to be a straight red for the simple fact he had his studs up, rather than the late challenge. Ref got that wrong IMO.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/04 at 7:06 AM

I agree — DeJong’s fundamentals and form were horrible (studs up, late tackle). It was also reckless.

Do I think it was dirty? Hmm….borderline.

Do I think it was pre-meditated? No.

3. Matthew – in addition to the TSG community showing up in Manchester, you’ll probably also have some Bolton fans. They seem quite impressed witht he kid and will be sad to see him out for the next 6+ weeks.

4. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/03/04 at 7:07 AM

Censor me as needed, but De Jong you are a goddamned son of a bitch. It’s a friendly for Christ’s sake come on man. Don’t think we’ll forget this because I know Jozy, Landon, and Specs won’t. Watch your legs asshole.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/04 at 7:10 AM

As Stuie is one of TSG’s most cherished players, today Mr. Dilly Duka….your comments stand.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/03/04 at 7:16 AM

Too bad Mikinho isn’t in the EPL, because the whole TSG community knows he’d take his ass out. Chuck Norris flying roundhouse kick to side of the knee and finish him off Super Shawcross style(apologies if this offended any Gunners of Black Cats faithful)

5. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/04 at 7:20 AM

TSG hasn’t given one of these away in awhile…but this one is deserving.

Nigel DeJong you get our Kick Flip to the Face “award”

Last one went to Eric Wynalda I think.

6. Posted by Sam on 2010/03/04 at 7:26 AM

I almost jumped through the TV in rage on that one. Even my buddy who doesn’t know the back story with Aaron Carter and the Sunderland debacle, nor how well Stuie was doing with Bolton was pretty pissed off as well.

7. Posted by KL on 2010/03/04 at 8:09 AM

okay I’m not usually one for purely patriotic comments but, this was complete and total bull. The Netherlands better watch their back, ’cause Americans don’t take kindly to personal attacks. And yes, I do think it was personal. Probably emotion, but still my feelings none the less. As far as retaliation, I think Holland should remember 1941 and the subsequent reaction in 1945. I’m pretty much beside myself in anger, ’cause the kid was great. Truly a top notch player in the making. Seriously, I mean imagine him on the wing across from Donavon. It was perfect Dempsy goes in the middle as an attacker and Jermaine Jones drops in as the destroyer in the defensive midfielder spot. I mean probably not for this World Cup, but imagine subsequent tournaments. Sorry about the tangent it has nothing to do with the injury at hand. It’s just quite frustrating.

8. Posted by Dylan on 2010/03/04 at 8:18 AM

As soon as I saw it, I knew it was broken. That was a terrible hit.

9. As a Dynamo supporter who’s watched Holden mature into a top class player the past few seasons I’m really disappointed for him. The tackle was terrible and absolutely could’ve been a straight red. Stu, get better soon man, we’re hoping and praying for ya.

On the plus side Bolton has extended his contract, looks like Coyle likes what he’s seen.

10. Posted by Skip on 2010/03/04 at 8:43 AM

I agree that it looked broken right away. Even though we are deep at midfield, my heart was sunk after watching that. Holden had the game of his life last week and was confiendent and effective on the right flank for 30 minutes. Geez, how many US starters are going to be recovering right before the world cup? Not good. And who wouldn’t feel horrible for Holden?

De Jong screwed up for sure. Even Dirk Kuyt was irked at him. Very bad form in a friendly.

11. It’s a completely reckless challenge and De Jong’s foot makes contact with Stuey’s right leg just below the knee. These types of challenges result in injuries so frequently. There’s always someone loosing a key player during international duty but in a friendly that’s been played at half speed for 30 minutes, to suddenly go in like that is just unnecessary.

The referee looks like he might have been unsighted by Van Bommel, but is there any doubt that if Michael Bradley made this tackle on Sneijder, Robben or Elia he would’ve been sent off without hesitation?

• Posted by pino on 2010/03/04 at 10:38 AM

tuesday you are absolutely right. if it had been mikey he would have seen red before Sneijder hit the ground. I mean all three of our red cards during the confed cup were not nearly as bad as this tackle. That ref was in la la land all night, and poor stuie payed the price.

12. Posted by Joe on 2010/03/04 at 10:55 AM

dont worry. De Jong has it coming……. goons get what they deserve sooner or later.

13. Posted by MichaelN on 2010/03/04 at 10:58 AM

Ya…..no way that justified a booking. Please note the sarcasm

14. pretty sick of the international referee bias. everyone damn well knows if that is an american getting in bad there, we see straight red. so frustrating. its bad enough we have to overcome our lack of depth and skill, but international referees are an entirely different manner. the dutch were my european team, now i wish upon them simple karma. i mean, at least the french didn’t injure anyone when they cheated…except for the hearts of a nation. just so shady, especially in a friendly. i wish gooch was on the field, i feel like dejong may or may not have walked off the field after the game…

15. […] World Cup 2010 « Damn You DeJong: Stu Shelved 6 Weeks! […]

16. Posted by Modesto on 2010/03/04 at 1:09 PM

the ref was terrible during the game but where is our captain? The captain needs to be in the refs face when challenges like this happen. This tackle pisses me off especially since DeFag was diving every chance he could. I used to like watching the Dutch but after their performance yesterday I feel like they are Italy’s little sister

17. Posted by Kevin on 2010/03/04 at 2:27 PM

In other news, a group of Americans wearing orange were stopped at the international airport in Houston after security got news of them trying to sneak fatal weapons onto the plane…

18. Posted by Kevin on 2010/03/04 at 2:35 PM

I would also like to point out that, if you stop the above video at 0:39, that does not look like a 6 week injury. You and I can complain all we want, but I consider him lucky. That should have been a straight red because it was a reckless, careless, MALICOUS tackle. The truth is, with Holden, Dempsey and Donovan the Nederlands are scared. If Davies recovers, give them more to be scared about. We have developed now what can easily be a controlling midfield. A cohesive midfield. All of these players now how to attack, can pass magicly, and possess some sort of ability that will beat you. THE NEDERLANDS ARE SCARED AND THEY SHOULD BE.

19. Posted by Jim S on 2010/03/05 at 8:16 AM

People need to watch the video, a little bit more before we start yelling about the dutch team. If you notice, Kuyt was yelling at De Jong after the incident. I personally thin Kuyt is a whining you know what, but he seemed pretty upset at De Jong. You can even see DJ tryingt o exlpain himself and Kuyt just walking away. So I don’t think the entire team is dirty, but I completely agree the tackle warranted a red card. The sad part of it all is that if Stu hadn’t already lost his balance from the guy who knocked him from behind, he probably never would have had his foot planted. Bad Luck + Bad Tackle = Bad Injury. I’m just glad to here he should be back for the cup.