Swoosh: Just Ask It…Need Your Thoughts…

Hey TSG community.

Better than Gatorade?

We need your help…so that we can provide some excellent content for you, content that you actually want.

TSG was speaking with good folks just east of Cannon Beach, Oregon (or “Goonies” beach if you prefer)….that would be Nike.

No, no, no…we’re not going to get a special addition shinguard made for Stu….at least not just yet. Wait..that’s a good idea.

We were discussing kits, equipment and World Cup plans, but we halted our discussion on compelling angles for columns because we wanted to reach out to you.

What do you want to know about Nike and soccer, specifically World Cup-wise?

Want to know about production on the new jerseys? Want to know about how the new cleats stack up on South African pitches?

Let us know. You can throw some humorous questions in the commentary below, but do try and offer some original or heady ones.

Also, send this story around…..let’s get as broad a reach as possible.

….we can confirm that Wayne Rooney’s insoles will not be made with glass…actually I didn’t ask them that one.

1. Posted by Nicholas on 2010/03/10 at 2:05 PM

Probably not a question for Nike, but man I hate the look of the US Crest. Can we get something that looks a bit more classy? The old style crests that predated the current one were awesome.

Question for Nike….I’m just wondering about the process. How collaberative? Are they pitching a bunch of concepts? Does US Soccer come to them with a concept and then Nike puts its signature on it?

Also, it seems like Nike more conservative with designs (ie, you rarely get a flavor of the month type of kit). Is this part of a conscious effort or just perception on my part?

2. Posted by pino on 2010/03/10 at 2:30 PM

why does a jersey that is made out of old plastic bottles cost so much? Seriously though i wonder what kind of profit margin they make on these things.

• Posted by pino on 2010/03/10 at 3:02 PM

a serious one now…

Would they ever consider settling one design thats modified from year to year instead of coming out with a totally new one every two years?

3. Posted by Joe on 2010/03/10 at 2:55 PM

There is speculation from a lot of people that the white US kit was being re-done. Is it true or is it going to be the same design as the new blue kit??

Did the US players/coaches have any say in the jersey look or was it all a surprise?

4. Can you ask them why I always get blisters on my ankles when I wear total 90’s?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/10 at 3:46 PM

Yes but what color.

• I had the white and silver ones, then when they changed the look to the mesh looking tops of the shoes i got the white and black ones, and i just picked up the green and red ones that my boy Michael sports. I have gotten major blisters from all 3.

5. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/03/10 at 7:25 PM

Why doesn’t Phil Knight come out with USA edition t90s? They should have 23 different designs(or at least have something different about each players shoe for the cup. This doesn’t necessarily have to represent the player, just a different motif). Shit if Oregon can have 189 different jersey combinations, this should be a piece of cake.

I never got blisters but then again I tape my ankles.

• im too lazy to warmup so theres no way im spending extra time taping anything. i just put on my cleats and play

6. Posted by patrickhattrick on 2010/03/10 at 8:51 PM

Just got the T90 Shoot III FGS. And I think that just proved why my friends think I’m obsessed with soccer. Is it true that they’re coming out with pink mens shoes(mercurials, I believe) in the fall? And why don’t the US Home jersey and away jersey come out at the same time? Is the US only going to wear the away in South Africa?

7. Posted by KMac on 2010/03/11 at 2:41 AM

Matthew,
    I’d like to hear Nike’s strategic assessment of the US Soccer market – their take on future growth and trends etc and what their plans are to “grow” the market in terms of both soccer literati and the sleep walking rest of the population. What do they see as the key factors critical to success…maybe too much of a business angle, but perhaps an interesting insight from a key commercial player in the market.

8. My biggest question is why does a kit made from 8 recycled plastic bottles to be greener come in a plastic bottle? It probably won’t if we purchase one from Nike or Eurosport, but handing them out at the kit launch like that smacks of irony.

9. (1) – Who makes the decisions on Jersey designs. Does USSoccer give Nike direction? or does Nike come up with several designs and USSF chooses which one they like best? Or does Nike dictate what the jersey will be within a set of requirements sent by the USSF? More transparency here please.

(2) – Does the US ever want to work towards a constant Jersey motif beyond simply color choice? See Czech Rep, Argentina, Brazil.

(3) – What was the inspiration for the sash design? Why such an abrupt change from the “thinstripe” jerseys.

(4) just for fun, have you ever come up with a jersey design that was shot down by US Soccer? If so, do you mind sharing or at least describing it?