Some random Thursday morning hitters as Wednesday was a travel day for The Shin Guardian….LAX boo! Virgin America as always, yeah!
• Wondering why Bob Bradley hasn’t given a turn for Brad Davis at left fullback…bad idea? Tell it, Dynamo fans.
• Charlie Davies….training with Ashley Cole and Michael Essien…wow.
• Nigel DeJong insists he’s not going to hold back…watch out opponents.
• TSG is sticking to our proclamation that a work stoppage is not going to go down between MLS owners and players. TSG may very well go down with the ship, but we still can’t see it happening.
It’s not secret it makes zero sense…worse, as we wrote about oh so long ago…you’re denying the goodwill and free marketing here before the season gets going.
Let’s take a stab at solving it here…without knowing the particulars (TSG will probably get a ton of flack for this):
» MLS players, let your club rights be retained by that club in perpetuity.
Why? You can’t have a league without strength top to bottom on opponents. Your telling me someone might not jump at slightly less money to move from say Kansas City to Los Angeles. Players, let this one go.
News flash: Kevin Hartmann still got dealt this week…the system is tenuous, but not broken here.
» MLS owners, guarantee the contracts
Case closed. This is a no-brainer…if a player is going to commit themselves to training, being in-form, and working for the “non-exciting” wages they do, it’s a disservice not make the reward the guarantee since it certainly isn’t the dollar level.
If your general manger and their staff cannot pick the players appropriately, well that’s where the fault lies.
We’ll start with those ones to get the ball rolling and hopefully mediator George Cohen can do the rest.
• Did you get your Nike Soccer questions into us? Appreciate that….
• We mentioned this at the end of our March Boarding Passes piece, but honestly with Anton Peterlin starting in the reserves at Everton isn’t that a more enviable situation for a young American from the States than Luis Gil going to MLS? Did that really help Freddy Adu?
TSG still believes that the ability to play against “like” players (physically, mentally, experience-wise) trumps the “dollars” of MLS and staying at home.
• TSG is going to get to the bottom of this ESPN Internet coverage…failure to update pieces,
• Consider this for a second, the last time that Bob Bradley has absolute full senior side ensemble together for a game at full match fitness was….July 24, 2009 against Spain.
• I still go with Higuain as the best pure striker right now, though “you” don’t: