Jumblin: My Name Is Blank & I Crushed In RSA

Who will it be?

Who are TSG’s Rountable participants this go around? Just click here.

Rountable Question #3:

Today on March 17th, which USMNT player will surprise the most in South Africa, positively or negatively?

————-

Positive: Mo Edu

Shoaff, Black Sox: Toss up between Stuart Holden and Maurice Edu.  If this pair can overcome injury, they’ll shine.  Edu with a steady consistency and composure on the ball; Holden with a youthful exuberance and daring approach to the game.

Negative: Rico Clark!

Michelot, Ligue 1 Talk:  Negatively ! Rico Clark. I think too much has been made of him. He looked horrendous at the Confederations Cup. He looked slow, outpaced, with a poor positioning that he made up for with risky and reckless challenges. Looks like a liability especially if paired with Bradley. Edu or JJ go instead.

Arbogast, Notre Dame: (Negatively) In support of one of my forthcoming answers, I’ll have to say Boca. I think he’s already hanging on by a thread, and this may be the tournament where his decline gets exposed. Tough to see, but if we give up goals this summer, it’ll be more due to our marking backs than our central defense.

Positive: Bedoya

Rogers, Hillcrest Road: Alejandro Bedoya. If he makes the squad (I’ll assume he does), he could make some things happen in a substitute appearance or two.

McKee, “Spectator-Capped“: CD9’s dramatic “return to form” /destined greatness.  Breakouts for Bedoya and Holden -expect big things from them on both sides of the ball..  OK, I’ll duck the beer bottles, Beasley too.!  In the back, if we suffer cards/injuries Goodson or Pearce might surprise us.

I won’t predict negative.

GeorgeCross:  We all know what Howard, Dempsey and Donovan can do, but I feel that Donovan will be ineffective – England, Algeria and Slovenia will do their homework on him and nullify his threat.

If Davies and Holden can get match fit then I tip them to give reassured performances.

I also think that DeMerit will use the WC as a shop window and impress the many scouts watching, and secure a move away from Watford.
Michael Bradley has a wonderful chance to shush the majority of USA fans that whisper ‘nepotism’ at any opportunity–and he will fail to take it.

1. Posted by KL on 2010/03/17 at 1:55 PM

First of all, let me just give a standing ovation for this great idea! I’ve been dying for some football that isn’t depressing me (why, oh why Chelsea do you have to fall off?). Anyway, I have to agree that Charlie could, should, and will be the most impactful player at the World Cup. Even if he only plays for 5 minutes the entire campaign, his presence will have a huge affect on our guys. Imagine Landon complaining about being marked like a blanket and having Chuck come over and teach him a little something about over coming obstacles. Nobody will have room to complain, and nobody will have room for excuses.

2. Posted by Sein Fein on 2010/03/17 at 1:58 PM

Happy to see a fellow Domer on here contributing. Changed my handle for the holiday and ’cause continuing to use my real name (Rich) seems contrary to internet protocol. Anyway, love all the stuff today. Disappointed I can’t vote for Bornstein and Clark. As for players who crush it. I have to hope it is Alditore and Dempsey who crush it, because if they do, we are winning.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/17 at 2:11 PM

Rich who should we add to which poll? Thanks, Matthew

• Posted by Sein Fein on 2010/03/17 at 2:13 PM

I just meant I wanted to vote for both Clark and Bornstein to be disappointing. If I were to pick one to be a standout (surprise or not) I want it to be Altidore or Dempsey as I think that means we are winning. Sorry for any confusion.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/17 at 2:17 PM

Nope — just making sure it’s covered.

I think the poll setting is one once per day so you can come back tomorrow and do exactly that.

3. Posted by Joe on 2010/03/17 at 8:46 PM

I think putting Bornstein on the disappoint side of the question answers itself. Anytime hes on the field he will disappoint. Sorry JB lovers. Get real.

Stu Holden and Maurice Edu are absolute monsters. Stu Holden will be the most important piece to our puzzle in my eyes. Aside of course from Dempsey and Landy.

4. Posted by Swa on 2010/03/17 at 11:17 PM

Not gonna lie I think that everyone in each poll will to a certain extent accomplish exactly what they are predicted to in each. Nobody on the US squad is winning the Golden Boot so “crush” is a relative term but I feel very strongly that Bedoya, Davies, Edu, DeMerit and Holden will each make Bobbo look brilliant multiple times during the tournament and Bornstein, Junior, Rico, Boca and Lando are all essentially doomed to come up short of expectations. I don’t in any way believe that Donovan will play poorly, but I have a hard time seeing him scoring during the run of play given the extra attention he is certain to garner after his EPL stint. As for the other 4, depending on how many games we wind up playing I can see them all being sent off at some point or another, which obviously does not bode well. If you guys could edit the polls to include an “all of the above” that would be great.

5. Posted by BklynPete on 2010/03/18 at 5:18 AM

I agree that Rico and Bornstein are both a little short on skill for the world class competition of the World Cup. But, I’m not so sure that you can vote them to be the most likely to falter in RSA, since the chances of them actually seeing the pitch are pretty slim and getting slimmer by the day. After Bornstein’s performance against the Dutch, I would say that he’d be lucky to make the bench against England… I think Boca and Pearce are both higher in the pecking order at this point. I think Bradley would even choose a Cherunduolo/Spector pairing on the outsides before he lets Bornstein on the field against England. Rico has simiarly fallen down the food chain, with the reemergence of Maurice Edu and the possibility of Jermaine Jones. Plus, the improved form of Beasley makes the outside midfield competition stiffer than it was (particularly if CD9 returns and we don’t have to play Deuce up top), which may move players like Holden and Feilhaber into the middle.

I would have to say that the most likely to falter is likely to be Junior or Bocanegra. Both players are staples in the starting 11 and both have shown a propensity to under perform, whether it be by silly challenges (Bradley) or by deteriorating form in general (Boca). I think Bob’s stubborness to keep both of these players in the line-up might be the downfall of the U.S. in 2010.

6. Posted by Doug on 2010/03/18 at 7:51 AM

I think Bornstein will see time against any team with speedy wingers, barring a poor early MLS showing which I do not predict. That means he’ll probably start against England. If he can get the Holland game out of his bead and if he has good support from a left mid that tracks back like Beasley I think he could hold up fine.

As for who will crush, I think Edu is on the verge of showing he has all the ability of MB and can really lock down the middle of the pitch, if not score a goal as well.