The Deuce Lets Loose: Golazo Against Juve

TSG’s commentary man Shaun just sent up these quips:

• Did you see that Dempsey goal?! No one on the USMNT comes close to scoring a goal like that!

• The commentator just referred to Dempsey as “Hodgson’s little yankee boy”. This needs to stick

Clint Dempsey’s critical strike against Juventus today, positively Messi-like.

Fulham roar back in Europa League, 4-1, against a shorthanded Juve after being down 3 on aggregate. Congrats Fulhamerica fans!

1. Time after time, just when you think he can’t do it, he continues to come up big and amaze me.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/18 at 1:11 PM

Possible new nicknames here:

*Captain Clutch
      * Hodgson’s Little Yankee Boy
      * The Revolution…

Maybe I’m just too giddy after watching the quality on that…Fandom alert for TSG! Fandom alert for TSG!

2. Posted by Chris on 2010/03/18 at 1:11 PM

Ahh yes, the cross that turns into a shot, that turns into a goal in the upper 90. Gotta love it. Save some magic for RSA, Clint.

3. Posted by i_like_tuesday on 2010/03/18 at 1:27 PM

I have no doubt that he meant it. Absolutely an amazing goal. Clint has creativity and class about him that no other American player has. He’s so important to our South Africa chances. Very excited to see that after a long busy week.

4. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/03/18 at 1:28 PM

Did he mean to do that? I never saw him look up to check the keepers positioning – it was a beauty, nonetheless!

Reminds me of Hoddle’s goal back in the 80s… checkout the similarity.

• I think he meant it. Over the years Clint has shown an uncanny awareness on the field. He often makes crazy passes without looking. Also his reaction to the goal wasn’t as if he was surprised that it went in. He meant it. Can’t wait for June 12th

• Posted by i_like_tuesday on 2010/03/18 at 1:55 PM

Yup, this is what makes Dempsey a special player. His decision-making is very quick, even when it doesn’t quite come off. The US is so much more dangerous with him than without. He brings the unpredictable, creative element. It’s just that split second difference between sensing and looking up that matters sometimes.

Very nice to see him pick up about where he left off before the injury. He should be playing in the exact same role for the US, just behind Altidore, connecting midfield and attack in a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1. If CD (back to training – wow!) is fit than we should go for the 4-2-2-2, but not against England.

• Posted by i_like_tuesday on 2010/03/18 at 1:45 PM

Dempsey is shaping to shoot the whole time. He knows the goalkeeper is going to be near post from that position so if you float the ball to the back post. He knew it was going in as soon as he struck the ball – the arms start going up in the air to celebrate.

• Posted by pino on 2010/03/18 at 1:53 PM

very similar indeed. although the duece was outside the box ; ). Getting worried yet George?

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/03/18 at 3:18 PM

Worried about what Gino? Worried whether the US progresses out of the group stage? Yes, very worried!

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/18 at 3:29 PM

GeorgeCross — I would be worrried if I were England about Jozy eating up your best central defender and then your right side of Glen Johnson trying to contain Landon Donovan, who ate Ashley Cole for breakfast a few weeks back.

I’d also be worried that if a shot like that happens David James pulls a Beckham and ruptures his achilles trying to stammer back there or Robert Green makes a dive at the wrong corner. :>

• Posted by KMac on 2010/03/18 at 4:04 PM

Spot on as usual George…nice work by Hoddle as well.

Pino makes a great point…and Matthew, wow, talking smack , as we Yanks like to call it.

And George, like your namesake in Afghanistan, you are treading around bravely in our theatre (the Shin Guardian) quite nimbly. Did you take your nom de plume from “The George Cross ranks along with the Victoria Cross as Britain’s highest award for bravery.”?

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/18 at 4:07 PM

George, KMac, my apologies…but c’mon how you immediately post a Hoddle video and call it cross so quickly after the event…I mean c’mon..:>

That being said, I’m very worried that Rio Ferdinand presents a problem for the Three Lions in the middle…the question is would Capello bench the captain for an Up-and-downson or Lescott?

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/03/18 at 4:27 PM

Matthew – oh please. Just wait for Gerrard to whip a cross in and for Howard to flap at it (like he he in the Merseyside derby). Howard will need to have a session with the chiropractor after the game for bending over to pick the ball out of the back of the net so many times! Altidore will get severe cramp due to lack of playing time under Dowie. Walcott is going to spank Bocanagra** and Rooney’s going to make mincemeat out of DeMerit – not that it will be too difficult to dazzle the Watford geezer.

Re. Hoddle – well I watched Demsey’s and it automatically reminded me of Hoddle’s gem. Note, it was against the same keeper Andy Gray score “that” header for Everton.

KMac – George Cross comes from the English flag (St George’s Cross)

**I predict on 13th June, TSG will be saying that Bornstein should have been picked…

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/18 at 4:44 PM

We might be saying Bornstein should be picked on June 11th too!

Steven Gerrard turns into Stevie Sidwell in international competition. David Beckham will..be.whipping…in…oops. (I do favor another looksee at Downing and Young…to me it would be a shockingly criminal if Young doesn’t make it…especially now).

So the cross from Glen Johnson…yes Howard will have to play it better…hopefully we’ll have Gooch to own the sky, although Terry’s recent form has me slighly more worried than I was in January.

I can’t predict Walcott’s form…if he is in form for the game I (and likely Boca) will be terrified. If he isn’t I say, feed him the ball and watch him overdribble countless times.

I am worried about Lampard being in the right spot at the right time and Mike Bradley being nowhere to be found.

The US, Spain, Argentina, Brazil and pretty everyone except maybe Serbia are currently terrified by the Shrek Monster.

Oops, I just hijacked the Deuce column myself…sorry about that everyone…

• Posted by i like tuesday on 2010/03/18 at 6:35 PM

Please lads, England vs USA will be a close match. The US team and our players have progressed a lot over the cycle and since we last played England. In attack, we have two attacking midfield players approaching the highest level, a couple of very promising youngsters in attack and the most solid defense we’ve ever had. England have a collection of excellent players, but the England team hasn’t always added up to the sum of its parts. Will Capello change that? Anything could happen and it will be decided on the day. England

5. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/03/18 at 1:29 PM

Where approximately was clint playing on the pitch during his time on the field?

• forward

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/18 at 1:40 PM

…and playing behind a forward who is not completely unlike Altidore….

• speaking of that idk if any of you watched this game, but Zamora is amazing right now. To quote Bill Simmons, he is having a transcendent year, just like 77′ Walton. I enjoy watching every minute when he plays.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/18 at 1:44 PM

He’s had a phenomenal year…agreed…not the right player for Capello’s system with Rooney there…but he’s becoming the player that West Ham thought they had when they got him in ’03 I believe…or maybe ’04

• All I know is that before this year, all Fulham fans did was make fun of him.

• Posted by Bob on 2010/03/18 at 2:01 PM

Yeah, until they saw his wife in SI … who’s making fun of him now? LOL

• I was talking about Zamora, but yes. His wife is hot

• Posted by Chris on 2010/03/18 at 3:38 PM

Seriously. You could say whatever you want to me if I was going home to that..

• Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/03/18 at 4:11 PM

That is not true. Not during the handful of times when I’ve been at The Cottage anyway.

• Posted by pino on 2010/03/18 at 2:00 PM

Imagine if they had him and C. Cole playing together right now. That would be a pretty impressive strike force.

6. Posted by sfshwebb on 2010/03/18 at 1:36 PM

I definitely think he meant to do that. If he wanted to cross it he would have put some power behind it. Looping crosses are useless.

7. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/18 at 1:38 PM

Oh cmon George…

1) He glances at the goalie for 2nd
    2) That would have been a damn terrible cross
    3) The celebration

8. Posted by i_like_tuesday on 2010/03/18 at 2:00 PM

‘He took into account everything in the universe there.’

• Even the earth’s rotation as Ray Hudson eloquently put it for Thiery Henry’s goal against Madrid in May of 2009.

9. Also, Clint said he meant to shoot it, and he is a Christian, so he can’t lie. lol

10. Cardillo over at That’s On Point wondered if this was the most important goal scored by an American on European soil? Does this supplant John Harkes’s 19901-ish Goal of the year?

In my opinion it does due to sheer audacity of the strike given the stakes, and because Harkes’s was only a long range bomb, which Dempsey has already done this year so they cancel each other out. Kind of like multiplying fractions.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/18 at 3:50 PM

Interesting thought……first…this goal doesn’t come close.

Deuce’s relegation saving goal takes the cake easily: (terrible quality video)

You might put Mathis’ goal in 2004 up there as well.

• Deuce’s relegation saver is pretty important, I will concede, but how many Americans have scored a goal against a [former] European power in quasi-European play? And a completely top drawer strike to boot?

Whic 2004 Mathis strike are we talking about? The watch tapping one?

• Posted by i like tuesday on 2010/03/18 at 6:24 PM

It really depends on whether Fulham go on to win the Uefa cup, doesn’t it?

11. Posted by Sinn Fein on 2010/03/18 at 9:26 PM

Brilliant goal. As has already been stated, he is our only player with both the creativity and the audacity to try something like that. The best thing about the whole play is that he never announced his intention…if he had, the goalie may have recovered. Wow, I want to go play now.

12. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/03/19 at 5:13 AM

I think I owe an apology to all USA / Fulham / Dempsey fans for my negativity regarding this brilliant goal. After watching this again a few times, it suddenly hit me – why can’t I just look at this strike for what it is rather than look for way to critique it? I think I am still haunted by 2002 and Ronaldinho.

And I will say this for free: if Messi or Ronaldo did that in a Barca or Madrid game, in the Nou Camp or Bernabau, then the world’s media would be waxing lyrical about it left, right and centre, and all and sundry would be talking about it in every office from Albuquerque to Zagreb. But it wasn’t – it happened in a Fulham match at Craven Cottage, scored by an American… and deserves praise.

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/03/19 at 6:10 AM

It’s ok George we still love you

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/19 at 7:33 AM

You don’t owe any apology George…good to have opinions all around.

You are right though…remember when Mr. Bucktooth put that ball “under” the leaping fall on a free kick about two years ago…you would have thought he scored the World Cup winning goal…

13. Posted by scott on 2010/03/19 at 6:57 AM

This was a phenomenal goal. From one of the few pure creative talents on the US side. So can someone please explain to me WHY he has been stuck out wide for USMNT with 70% defensive responsibilities for the last 3 yrs while being utilized in the exact right role in his club teams. He showed early on that he wasn’t interested or engaged in tracking back and has regularly contributed pure creating and finishing skills in or around the box.
    It’s just very frustrating as we run up to June and have no confidence that Bradley understands what is so evident to the rest of the USMNT fan base. I have this recurring nightmare where Clark starts at holding mid in place of M Edu, Bradley Jr runs around without clear purpose for 90 mins completing 40% of his passes, Demps is out wide jogging into defensive position, Bornstein flails his way through another MLS level intl performance and…………..Conor Casey is warming up to come in for Altidore in the 80th minute.
    Argh!

14. Posted by Bill on 2010/03/19 at 9:24 PM

Last two goals have shown Dempsey preparing to take game to a new level. This time goalkeeper shades too far to the near post, float it over him to opposite post. Previous time goalikeeper comes off line, drill it over him below the bar. Goalies will stay more in the middle and on the line meaning more of his shots will find net instead of the goalkeeper.