Dempsey: No Group Stage Advance, #Fail

The Deuce squawking on the World Cup:

“We know we’ve got a tough group and we’ll take each game one at a time, but advancing through the group has to be the goal and anything less than that will be a failure.”

A good piece of dialogue from Soccernet, yes Soccernet’s Mark Lomas, who covers the EPL primarily.

The TSG weekend preview piece will be up shortly; I would say the dog ate, but all the dog did this morning was decide to investigate a seal at the beach, so now she is investigating the bath tub.

Captain Clutch...good nickname?

1. [...] network is simply catering to the masses who still think Lando is the USMNT captain. Surprisingly, The Shin Guardian’s Matthew thought this was a good article — maybe he’s just better adjusted to Soccernet’s [...]

• Posted by KMac on 2010/03/26 at 8:01 PM

Matthew…good work as always. Thanks for ALL you do for this, one of the most informed sites. I have a day job too…I know this is a labor of love and intellect. Cheers!
      KMac

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/26 at 8:34 AM

I believe I said a good piece of “dialogue…..”

• Ha :-) Talking points, I believe some call them.

Glad to hear that Dempsey has the same view of this that we non-masses USMNT supporters do, that the USA program has developed to the point that we need to be advancing out of group play. If he can continue on his current form it’s definitely going to help.

Personally, I’d rather see this from ESPN than the horribly informed opinions they’ve been attempting to pass off as soccer journalism recently. I figure eventually they’ll get it and hire some good writers.

3. Posted by GeorgeCross on 2010/03/26 at 10:10 AM

The reality is that either Mexico or the USA will *always* win the CONECAF WCQ region. As such, looking at things sensibly and with a dose of pragmatism, I would have thought that it is more than reasonable that both teams would be *at least* the second favourite team to within their World Cup group to advance – unless in the unlikely event that you get the strong African and ‘non-seeded’ European team in group play, then your odds are ‘even’…

It’s OK to say that you should be getting out of the group** stage – it’s not arrogant at all. It means that you have the belief in your ability and your squad, and that you have made progress.

**I am not avocating a God-given or devine right to advance – you have to turn up and produce on the day. Nobody gets a free pass.

4. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/26 at 10:27 AM

My takeaway here is a Clint Dempsey that seems invigorated and brimming with confidence.

Someone who can put the ball in the back of the net for the USMNT…

• Does anyone have any doubt that Clint likes to win? Clint expects to bloody win.

I don’t think this is arrogant at all. I’m sick of US Soccer showing the “happy to just have the chance to compete” attitude of a ski jumper from Zambia.

This is a step in the right direction. No knockout rounds = #epicfail in my book.

• Posted by KMac on 2010/03/26 at 8:04 PM

Roger that!

5. Game took hold like the roots of a tree
    Think soccer ain’t a sport? Then why’d Nike sign me?

6. Posted by Matt Mathai on 2010/03/26 at 10:26 PM

Sorry, I know you like it, but I don’t much care for “Captain Clutch”. It just doesn’t grab me, seems a touch contrived, and it isn’t uniquely identified with Clint. It might make more sense were he captain, but he isn’t.

That said, I’m not a big nickname guy, anyway, besides some famous ones like, you know, Pele and Der Kaiser.

The best English one I’ve ever heard remains Calamity James (for David James). It’s funny, clever, and devastatingly accurate.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/27 at 7:31 AM

Okay. Dropping Captain Clutch.

Love Calamity David James.

• Posted by Matt Mathai on 2010/03/27 at 8:19 AM

Dude, that Captain Clutch thing is just my opinion. You certainly don’t need ME to tell you what to use. If it makes a connection for you, you should use it.

What’s that thing about opinions? :)