Herculez Gomez: The 2010 Eddie Johnson?

Gomez got a cup of coffee with the USMNT in the 2007 Copa America

Gomez got a cup of coffee with the USMNT in the 2007 Copa America

Two reports this morning on Herculez Gomez who notched another goal over the weekend  in the defenseless, subjectively speaking, Mexican Primera, show that Bob Bradley appears to be taking at least a cursory note of the American striker playing down south.

According to a firsthand account on Goal.com Gomez says:

“With the national team, the opportunities are minimal,” he said. “I have to keep tearing it up here in order to be able to show myself over there.

According to a translation on No Short Corners:

“I have a small possibility of being called,” said Gomez.

Let me diverge here for a second and call on you Robbie Findley, yes you Brian Ching, you Conor Casey and yes even you Charlie Davies. 75 days…who’s going to step-up?

Give it a few more weeks and it will be time for the fifth installment of “With Davies In Repair, Who Strikes?”

—–

More on Gomez at TSG.

1. Posted by Dan on 2010/03/29 at 9:36 AM

If he’s not going to disrupt the locker room, he absolutely deserves a callup.

2. Posted by Scweeb on 2010/03/29 at 9:49 AM

What kind of striker is he? Can he fit along side Altidore or Clint? And if he does get a shot what would be the best line up for him?

3. I still do not understand why McBride does not get a mention. He has the experience and in my opinion has been the best American player to play abroad ever! Ask any Englishman who they want to face on June 12th – Altidore or McBride……I know the answer.

4. Posted by Bob on 2010/03/29 at 10:20 AM

A lot of questions come to mind at the moment in trying to objectively assess his situation. I guess the question I have is how does the Mexican Primera compare to MLS? Those teams dominate CONCACAF Champions League, but is that only bc MLS teams do not send their first teams out for those games? Is what Gomez is doing comparable to what Cunningham did at the end of the last season or is this a whole new situation that cannot compare to winning the MLS golden boot? Cunningham got a three-game trial for BB after the season, does Gomez deserve the same look or is it just not that big of a deal? If the Mexican Primera is below MLS in talent, then should the fans of USMNT downplay our outlook for JFT?

5. Posted by Hercules3076 on 2010/03/29 at 12:54 PM

I think that if he continues to tear it up in Mexico, as he is doing, he deserves a look. I’m not saying slot him in as the savior in the 11, or even the 23. But 30/35 can/should be called in for the camp/friendlies and I think that he should be included in that number. That gives BB a chance to see what he looks like first hand. If, at that point, BB decides that he likes his other options better, than so be it, I will trust his evaluation for this WC. But I think that he needs that time in camp.

6. Posted by Kevin on 2010/03/29 at 7:37 PM

Does it matter? It’s too late. The Nederland friendly was the last friendly untill BB calls his squad for the WC. It doesn’t matter if he’s doing good in Mexico because BB isn’t going to take someone to the WC that hasn’t been tested on the Nat side.

7. Posted by dude on 2010/03/29 at 7:58 PM

He’s one we should bring into camp. Pure and simple. I don’t understand arguing about it, it’s not like he’s guaranteed a ticket to SA or anything. Just a chance to play in the context of the national team, which right now is in need of forwards who score.

8. Posted by Wilson on 2010/03/30 at 2:19 PM

Heraculez is a striker with a powerful leg and not much else. In the WC I want the USA represented with the best available playersespecially at fwd. Donavon is a gem on the wing. So the need for him to be a Cristo Ronaldo for us is no longer neccessary. If Davies can go he is number 1. Dempsey is my other guy up top. No Davies then Jozy is my starter instead of super sub. EJ is my other super sub. I don’t think to rely on Davies, so with Clint and Jozy as my starters then EJ and Ching as my subs.