Stu Holden, Blowing Up

Congrats to the USMNTer and former Dynamo man Stu Holden who announced today an endorsement deal with Nike and the LIVESTRONG brand.

Nice job Stu! Get back out there soon.

———

Holden: The next USMNT ambassador

1. Glad to see one of the lowest paid members of the 2009 USMNT finally get his. It’s well-deserved.

I just hope the MLS raises the minimum salary to something respectable soon so we can keep more Stu’s in the MLS for as long as possible. It’s really hard to convince a player to stay here when he could be making more working full-time at UPS.

2. Posted by Joe on 2010/03/29 at 3:43 PM

Yes the MLS salaries should be raised but I don’t want the next STU to play in the MLS for very long. Im glad hes in the best league in the world tearing it up and learning from the best players at such a young age.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/29 at 4:36 PM

Joe: I concur.

The best thing in my opinion that can happen to *increase the quality of play in MLS if for players in MLS to go abroad to the top leagues, play well and even dominate.

That will create more exposure than anything else for MLS; it will create more teams bidding on MLS talents as it gets validated.

• Posted by Len on 2010/03/29 at 5:24 PM

Didn’t see your comment before I posted – I agree as well. Even though I’m sorry for the MLS to lose Holden, I don’t think I should be in the short run. The MLS is definitely being scouted more now, and that will only serve to bring better players in who want to be noticed and pump cash into a leage mostly in the red. Maybe a few years from now we can hope to keep a player like Holden interested.

3. Posted by Len on 2010/03/29 at 5:02 PM

Congrats to Stu, he deserves this. He was incredibly underpaid in the MLS. Crazy he was only guaranteed $35,000 in 2009 while fellow Dynamo Brad Davis was assured a cool $132,300.

I don’t know that MLS is really capable of raising the overall salary level though with the numbers they’re posting. Granted the forbes article I read was from nearly two years ago, but from the comments made by AEG CEO Leiweke I don’t think it has improved all that much. In 2008 the league lost $20 million and only LA, Dallas and Toronto were profitable. I just hope the slow and steady improvement continues so we can eventually afford to keep more players like Stu.

Players like Holden are more important to the league’s development and success than talismanic stars like Beckham, Donovan, and Henry (potentially), even though these guys do (and would) bring in the bucks.

Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/09/mls-soccer-beckham-biz-sports-cz_kb_0909mlsvalues.html

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/03/29 at 7:24 PM

Sounds crazy but you have to remember that his contract was made in 2006 when he was unknown. If he had re-signed I doubt he would have gotten less than Davis. They may have used the second DP. I don’t think money was an issue for Holden and it was much more about quality competition. In a perfect world, Holden would bleed orange.

• Posted by Len on 2010/03/29 at 11:22 PM

True, I overlooked this. I did see that he was promised $350,000 if he stayed. Hell of a raise. Still better that he’s at Bolton though. Get better Stuie!