MLS Jumble: Shippin’ Out!

The question: Which MLS player will make the move overseas? Or, which should?

Any doubt Gonzalez is destined for Europe in the near future?

Connor, Ninety Plus: Which MLS player will make the move overseas? Landon Donovan.  Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I think he enjoyed England too much not to return soon.

Which one should?  Chad Marshall.  His potential is quickly rotting away, after raking in two MLS Defender of the Year awards, constant injuries caused his play to suffer for the Nats, and now his place on the plane has been lost to an emerging Clarence Goodson.

Charles, MetroStars: Any MLS player with the chance to sign overseas in a situation where they play first team football should go. Go for no less than 1 year, and if they’re not playing regularly no more than 3 years, before playing in MLS. The MLS player that should move to Europe is anyone that is out of contract and is offered a contract overseas, provided they are given a fair run-out to impress.

Chris, Dynamo Fan: Which most likely will: Omar Gonzalez of the Galaxy and Geoff Cameron of the Dynamo.

Which should: Robbie Rogers from Columbus and Marvell Wynne (now of Colorado). Both those guys show outstanding athletic ability but I think need that next level of training to be able to really excel (Rogers has spent a season in Holland). Wynne has world class speed and could be a top outside back if he can really learn to play the position.

Joe, Miami Monsters: Chad Marshall and Robbie Rogers. Chad is ready to move up and showcase his defensive skills while Rogers needs to show that he can play along the best in the midfield.

1. I agree with Chris that Rogers should go back overseas. I agree that Marshall may get to the next level faster if he makes the trip abroad. I wonder how many years both players still have in their contracts.

• Posted by Mike Mc on 2010/03/30 at 7:37 PM

Totally agree on Rogers. I’d like to see him go back to Holland. And if not there then what about Scotland? He’s definitely good enough to get regular playing time and it’s a league that puts a lot of emphasis on crossing balls into the box – which is something he needs to work on.

• Glad to hear I’m not alone on that one. Rogers shows these flashes of brilliant play and I’d love to see get some better technical training in Holland or a similar league.

2. Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/30 at 7:29 PM

Is it good or bad that Brad Davis reminds me a little bit of Bobby Convey (but better). I’d like see him on Watford with Jay DeMerit…of at least get some run in the Championship — I think that makes sense.

3. Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/03/30 at 8:55 PM

I think this jumble is a little misguided: are we talking about MLS players or more specifically, MLS players that will factor for the USMNT in the present and future?

I think Freddy Montero could make it. IMO Beckerman would hold his own in the Championship, but he’s missing something in the international stage & I think that would translate to not performing (or playing) in the PL. Honestly, Gil needs to get the hell out of Dodge. I’d rather see him playing with the Bolton Sperm-chasers reserve squad. OG & El Pistolero are no-brainers.

• Posted by matthewsf on 2010/03/30 at 9:01 PM

Freddy Montero is going to make the move — that’s for sure.

Hmm, you want not USMNTers.

Ryan Johnson maybe….

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/03/30 at 10:15 PM

A lot of the African players like Oduro, Zakuanu, and that one guy from the Crew come to mind as well. . .although I don’t know who Ryan Johnson is :o

• Posted by Mike Mc on 2010/03/30 at 10:54 PM

I think Zakuani is trying to get U.S. citizenship!!!

• Posted by Kevin on 2010/03/31 at 4:10 PM

Oduro aggravates me. His touch is always too large and he always runs for too long. He waits too long to shoot. Oduro is not a good enough forward for a club with a tradition of doing well.

• My thing with Montero is I see him just getting destroyed in a physical league…the guy bails at every opportunity. I do see him moving on though.

Doesn’t it make sense that the guys you expect to see make a move out of the league would be the higher quality players already in the USMNT pool? There are a few foreign players as well, however, I can see someone like Steve Zakuani, Donovan Ricketts, or maybe even Fabián Espíndola being capable of making it across the pond (maybe in a season or two for Zakuani).

• Posted by Antonio H. on 2010/03/30 at 10:13 PM

Well I mean. . .there are others quality (young)players that aren’t eligible for the MNT who play in the MLS. And we ARE talking about MLS players in general right?

• True, they weren’t the first guys that came to mind though.

And I’ve seen Oduro play a lot…I don’t see him going anywhere anytime soon :)

4. Posted by Mike Mc on 2010/03/30 at 10:30 PM

Omar Gonzalez is gonna go over to Europe at some point IMO. It’s really only a question of timing. I’m a Galaxy fan and i watched almost all of their games last season and he was the one player game-in and game-out that really stood out in our back four. But it’s MLS and he is only 22 years old. I mean he has only played one season of professional soccer. Last year he was paired with a veteran cb in Berhaldter (sp?). The step up from college is a big one and it seemed like he learned a lot in terms of positioning and in game awareness from Berhaldter. So for me I’d like him to complete this second season with the galaxy and then move on to a league in Europe. But he has to get better at his positioning, the kind of things he can get away with in MLS ‘isn’t gonna cut it in the EPL.

In summary, big tall defender (six foot five i think), good at winning headers, nothing but upside. I’m sure he’ll end up in one of the top leagues in Europe….just not yet.

5. Perhaps worth a look is how the immigration rules in each country affect soccer transfers.

The UK, for example, has a fairly tight work permit regime for footballers where the player has to feature in a certain percentage of their national teams in order to qualify, and certain criteria where a permit may be granted on appeal. Would be worth looking into a bit more thoroughly to have an idea what players’ overseas options may actually be.

• Good point. The Scandinavian and other smaller leagues don’t seem to have overly strict work permit rules from the number of players we have playing in those leagues, players with a European passport (Holden for example) do certainly have an advantage though.

6. Posted by Joe on 2010/03/31 at 8:06 AM

I agree with Omar Gonzalez. A little more work and he will be at that level and ready to move up. Hes the real deal.

7. Posted by Kevin on 2010/03/31 at 4:15 PM

This is the first article where I have bashed two Houston players. Cameron will NOT make the move overseas. He could if he were to play CB, but Dom’s stubborness to play him in midfield is wrong. Cameron can’t pass, he has horrible technique and first touch. He plays CB the only thing he can do is run and cross, like Mullan, so stick him on the right if you have to. Cameron is only GOOD at CB.